New member, Need some help, Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sedator13

Reaction score
I've had my Raptor for two years. I am up to date on all my services. My last service/ oil change was 900 miles ago. I noticed a knocking noise on the way to work and called Ford service when they opened. They asked if any warning or service lights we're on, which none came on. I made an appointment to bring it in as soon as I got off work, the same day. I drove straight to dealership after work, as I pulled in the motor was still knocking. The service tech asked me what was wrong, I said I'll show you and started my Raptor, there was a loud knocking noise and the truck died. The engine locked up, dead. The service representative checked my oil and said there was no oil in the truck. At that time he searched for evidence of a leak, but could not find one. There was no evidence of burning oil via exhaust. The next day upon further inspection, no evidence of any leak can be found. All my services have been done at a Ford dealership. Initially I was told, since there was no oil in the truck, it was negligence on my part; therefore, the engine would not be covered under warranty. The dealership is dissecting my engine to see if they can find any reason why my Raptor lost 5 quarts of oil in 900 miles and hopefully a reason to warrenty a motor. Once again no warning or service lights ever came on. My truck has been in a ford service center for 3 days and no hope in sight. The dealership recommended I file a customer service complaint to start a case file and investigation, which I have. Has anyone ever had or heard of an issue like this or any idea how the oil could have been lost? Can anyone possibly shed any light on my trucks demise? Thank you, Sedator13

D

Deleted member 12951

Dealer obviously did not put oil in it during an oil change. Did you bring it into the same dealer who was doing the oil changes? I am surprised that there wasn't a warning on the dash about no oil pressure.

I once had a different brand truck years and years ago that I took to Jiffy Lube and they didn't put oil back in. I only drove it it about 60 miles that way and thank good I just had Slick50 in it on previous oil changes. For years after that incident, I would always check the oil level before I drove off from the servicing center. I usually don't check anymore but I think I might start again.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're gonna need Crystal on this one because that's a mystery as to how you lost over 5 quarts in only 900 miles. Well, I suppose the tech who performed your last oil change is the only one who really knows for sure...

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have learned from a number of discussions that the oil pressure gage is just a fancy idiot light. If there is enough pressure to make the switch it will indicate that everything is normal.
If the sensor is close to the pump even a very low oil level can allow for enough pressure to still make the switch.
Problem would be that further away from the pump pressure and flow would fizzle out.
Needed cooling for internal parts would fail.

So, it could be that a service person started filling the engine with oil, got distracted, and did not finish the job.

Just a possibility...

OP
OP
S

Sedator13

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I am in total shock not only being without my Raptor, but also at facing issues trying to get it fixed. I work on people not cars so I was hoping there would be some possible explanation regarding the motor, other than service negligence, explaining why I had loss of oil leading to "catastrophic engine failure", which is how the dealership diagnosed my Raptor. If by the grace of God, I do get the engine replaced under warranty, I will always check my oil level after a service. A couple of you have mentioned to contact crystal@fordservice and I thank you for the information. I have contacted a ford service representative that said she will look over my service records on Wednesday and get back in touch with me. If that does not lead to any resolutions, I will contact Crystal. I thank all of you for the support and information and if anyone has any further ideas please let me know. FYI I was also told that if I had my Raptor serviced any place other than a dealership, this would be a closed case and I would be left with a dead Raptor and 3 years of payments. So be careful where you have your truck serviced, keep the records and check the oil after each service.