New Leveling Option - SDI Upper Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to get too off-topic, but how so? Cause im getting the FRS live valves for my 20 and i have the eclik right now, SDI said it needed no change, unless this is G3 specific then ignore my peasant G2 whining.
I guess I needed to clarify a bit more, but based on what I’ve heard from SDI the stock live valves work better with the E-Clik when you have them revalved by SDI. Stock valving live valves vs stock valve FRS shocks, I am not sure. But, you will certainly get more fade resistance with the FRS since there’s a lot more fluid volume.

For the 20 the FRS LV are a great option, I’m just not a huge fan of running them on gen 3 at this time.

Reaction score
I purchased these back in June 2023 and finally got around to installing them on New Year’s Eve. Put about 500 miles on them so far since.

First off, if you do your own wrenching like I do just know you will need a very big torque wrench for this job. 406ft lbs for the lower shock bolt… and hope you’ve been doing your deadlifts at the gym. Also you need a spring compressor obviously (wall mounted).

The install was fairly straight forward. I ordered the new bolts/nuts from Ford Dealer as the originals had to be broken loose of the one time locking goo ford uses. I prefer to do things by the book. Speaking of- helm has a digital mechanics manual for the truck as well with torque specs etc…

IMG_5721.jpeg

Ok now to the details. Personally, I have not noticed any difference on the road as far as ride quality goes. I was however surprised by the “reverse rake” look that it now has.

IMG_5728.jpeg

What’s more interesting is that the truck IS actually now truly “level” according to the body line measurements I just took.

IMG_5734.jpeg
IMG_5733.jpeg

It seems that since the trucks come raked from the factory, the gap between tire/fender is different between front and back when you level the front- with the front being a bit of a bigger gap. This gives the false appearance of a “reverse rake” look which obviously no one wants, but it is merely due to the fender/tire gap as stated.

My original reason for going with the SDI front buckets was to strengthen/bulletproof the top hats and level the truck for a better look. I have since not been a fan of what I will call the “false reverse rake” look and I’ve had a few people from competing performance parts companies elude to the SDI buckets messing up the OEM suspension geometry, although the guy at my dealer says they won’t (I take dealer mechanics with a grain of salt and only use them if I have to for things like alignments).

Anyways, hope this is helpful and would love some feedback on the “geometry being messed up” comment I keep hearing. I wish we could interview a ford performance engineer on this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpeg
    IMG_5735.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 14

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, I have been back and forth about doing these. I think your truck looks pretty level but I assume with any bed wait it will squat. I wonder if you threw a 1/2 Foutz spacer in the rear if it would satisfy you? I have always assumed any lift stresses front geometry, but at least this fixes the crappy OEM top hats. I still don't know what I want to do but I appreciate your time writing this up. I currently am running a 1.5 collar on my 37, I sit at 43 inches in all four corners from ground to fender middle bottom. But to me I still see the rear a bit higher and I know assume its because of what you explained. I am level, but to the eye it does not quite look like it. I am happy with my look but I was wondering if these ride better than collars, would I be nose high with the SDI? Are the SDI hats 1.7 inches or 1.5? Pic for reference. I am wanting slightly more room from tire top to fender bottom, so maybe top hat and small 1/2 to 3/4 rear spacer. Or nothing at all lol.
IMG_0049.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, I have been back and forth about doing these. I think your truck looks pretty level but I assume with any bed wait it will squat. I wonder if you threw a 1/2 Foutz spacer in the rear if it would satisfy you? I have always assumed any lift stresses front geometry, but at least this fixes the crappy OEM top hats. I still don't know what I want to do but I appreciate your time writing this up. I currently am running a 1.5 collar on my 37, I sit at 43 inches in all four corners from ground to fender middle bottom. But to me I still see the rear a bit higher and I know assume its because of what you explained. I am level, but to the eye it does not quite look like it. I am happy with my look but I was wondering if these ride better than collars, would I be nose high with the SDI? Are the SDI hats 1.7 inches or 1.5? Pic for reference. I am wanting slightly more room from tire top to fender bottom, so maybe top hat and small 1/2 to 3/4 rear spacer. Or nothing at all lol.
View attachment 441371

We are on the same wavelength cause that’s what I’m deciding between right now. I’m not sure if I want to go back to stock top hats OR if I want to add the Foutz rear spacer and if so 1/2, 3/4, or 1 inch.

I’m trying to find out the risk to front geometry keeping the SDI tophat and also looking into negatives to the rear spacer, it looks like it takes up a lot of the seating lip area that the rear spring sits inside of and not sure how safe that is….. I would assume both SDI and Foutz have thought about these things in their designs but who knows. Maybe someone will chime in here and help fill these gaps in our understanding!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Also, the measurements for the actual SDI Bucket are as partially pre load and partially beefed up top hat spacer as follows:

1. 10mm preload that equates to 3/4” of preload on suspension travel
2. 11mm spacer
3. All together this gives 1.75” lift
Source: Keep It Dirty Video

View attachment 441373
Thanks for this, answers my question about this part. As far as rear spacers I agree but tons of guys have or are using them. I may not be paying attention but I have not heard any issues or failures of rear springs with spacers. I think the beefed up top had of the SDI hat is a bonus, but I don't want to be nose high, so in comes the rear spacer.

I am not sure why but on my truck (37 PP) the 1.5 collar only netted about 1.1 inches of lift, so if the Top hat from SDI is 1.75 it may definitely leave it nose high. Any idea what the actual realized lift amount was for your front?

Another though I had was to try a find some Raptor R OEM take off springs and try those on the front since I believe they are a little beefier for the weight of the R front end. Most R's sit pretty level. But I have not researched it enough to know if it is even a decent idea. But doing that does not fix any weak spots in the Top hat. Sometimes this all makes my Brian hurt, sometimes I say f*%k it, I'll just leave it alone.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a pair but haven’t installed them yet, I’m trying to resolve a warranty issue with my front diff before I throw parts at the truck.

But SDi told me directly the lift for the tophats is 1.75” for Gen 2 and 1.25” for Gen 3. I’m hoping for 1.25”.

Reaction score
I have a pair but haven’t installed them yet, I’m trying to resolve a warranty issue with my front diff before I throw parts at the truck.

But SDi told me directly the lift for the tophats is 1.75” for Gen 2 and 1.25” for Gen 3. I’m hoping for 1.25”.

What I don’t understand about this is that the tophats literally say Gen 2 on one side and Gen 3 on the other side and come with 2 sets of hardware. So it is the same part for G2/3.

So that being said, does the Gen 3 have .5” less rake from factory and that’s why it has a difference in effect or what? Now my brains starting to hurt too.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I don’t understand about this is that the tophats literally say Gen 2 on one side and Gen 3 on the other side and come with 2 sets of hardware. So it is the same part for G2/3.

So that being said, does the Gen 3 have .5” less rake from factory and that’s why it has a difference in effect or what? Now my brains starting to hurt too.
Yea I know it’s the same part, my understanding is that the Gen 3’s tophat is a little thicker stock, so the new one lifts less than Gen 2. I’ve been wrong before though, ask my wife.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But SDi told me directly the lift for the tophats is 1.75” for Gen 2 and 1.25” for

The Gen 3 uses larger bolts that go through the strut tower. Hence why I haven’t gotten Gen 2 coilovers for my Gen 3. I would imagine over time, placing a bolt that’s too small through the strut tower would cause problems as there is no way the strut wouldn’t rotate back and forth with too small of hardware.