Motor died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Driving back from snowboarding today in bad weather I lost the motor with a bunch of warning lights going off.

2018 with 70k miles. I was in “Weather” driving mode 4A. Warnings started going off with “auto start/stop failure” or something and saying shift to park to restart. Brake warnings and everything else. Still had electrical power but no motor, brakes, power steering etc.

I just got the goose tuned stage 2 package but only had it on the Cobb 1 tune bc I don’t have the intercooler yet.

Checked codes and it had a “engine starter performance” code.

Once I got it stopped and tried restarting it would click once then set off all the warning lights. Temps were in the teens. I did have a problem the other day with my ambient air temp reading only registering 13* when it was really like 65* out but it reset after driving for a bit.

Any thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are you able to re-flash to stock?

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Are you able to re-flash to stock?
I reset the ECM through the access port but I’m not sure if that sends it back to stock. The battery is now completely dead after waiting 7 hours for a tow truck and trying to stay warm and charge my phone. It’s on a tow truck headed to the dealership in the morning.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Good luck with the repair. It will be interesting to hear what this was.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the battery is low don’t keep messing with the AP. That’s asking for trouble.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Sounds like the battery had a cell go dead. Each cell is 2.1V, so when you lose one battery voltage drops to 10.5V at best. Once voltage drops below 10, modules will begin to power down.
I hope this is it. Sounds the most affordable. It’s a little concerning that just losing the battery with no low battery warnings or anything else causes you to lose power at speed. It was fun getting it stopped in white out conditions on a mountain road going downhill.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I an idiot or is there absolutely no way to find out battery charge info through the truck? No battery gauge or nothing?
The 2019+ Raptors will display voltage, but the actual state of charge requires either viewing the battery SOC with a scan tool (inferred) or testing the battery with a battery analyzer (actual). When a battery cell is lost, it tends to happen instantly and is not something that is predictable.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
The 2019+ Raptors will display voltage, but the actual state of charge requires either viewing the battery SOC with a scan tool (inferred) or testing the battery with a battery analyzer (actual). When a battery cell is lost, it tends to happen instantly and is not something that is predictable.
Just wanted to confirm - if I lost a cell it could cause it to die while driving? The tech is claiming it should keep running on the alternator. I tried just getting a battery from them to install myself but they are pushing back that its definitely not the battery with it shutting off while driving.