Raptor just died--everything went black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please tell me the Rap doesn’t have a fusible link built into one of the main cables?

That popped on me in an 80’s Chevy - same symptom, driving along and with no explanation or warning, everything went dark. ’Twas a fusible link in the battery cable.
Same thing happened to me in a 70’s Dodge.

OP
OP
D

drmdwebb

Reaction score
Update: middle of next week before they can even look at it. It would cost $400 to tow it to a closer dealer, who can't get to it until the end of this week. Probably not worth the money to tow it.

If anybody has any idea what it actually is, then I'd give it a try to go and fix it myself. I don't think it's the alternator or battery, because when we tried to jump it with a running vehicle, I got no electrical response whatsoever (no dash lights, no cabin lights, etc.) The service manager at the Ford place said that he doesn't think this vehicle has a single main fuse that would kill the whole vehicle.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
The service manager at the Ford place said that he doesn't think this vehicle has a single main fuse that would kill the whole vehicle.
Whoah. Kinda think the Service Manager should know for sure one way or the other about something like this. Good luck to you.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like either a bad connection between the battery positive to BJB or battery negative to ground, or a failed battery. I don’t suspect the ground side as there are 3 of them, but it’s still a possibility. There is not much else that will cause an entire loss of electrical power to the entire vehicle; the battery feeds the BJB which then distributes power to the rest of the truck via separate fuses. When batteries fail they can short and become completely discharged/dead. No amount of jump starting is going to restore functionality with that failure mode.

OP
OP
D

drmdwebb

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I was in a dealership today, and spoke to the service manager. He said mostly likely it's the battery breakout box (fuse box). I'll know sometime next week.

OP
OP
D

drmdwebb

Reaction score
Update:

Five hours of troubleshooting at $160/hour. They are going to replace the alternator and a fuse panel assembly (14A068*B on the invoice; don't know if that's a Ford part number or their internal number).

So, $2200, and they claim not covered under warranty. Ouch.