Motor died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
thats your problem right there. i have have horrible experiences with phil long. when i lived in the springs i always drove up to groove ford on arapahoe in denver for anything service related. i would avoid phil long at all costs
Good to know but unfortunately a little late for this go round. At least you understand why I’m trying to understand all of this in parallel with the dealership. Taking it to Denver isn’t really an option at this point. If I wasn’t moving to SLC this year I’d be more unhappy about driving 1.5 hours to get decent service here.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm - if I lost a cell it could cause it to die while driving? The tech is claiming it should keep running on the alternator. I tried just getting a battery from them to install myself but they are pushing back that its definitely not the battery with it shutting off while driving.
It’s possible due to how sensitive electronic components are to voltage. Although the alternator is providing current, the battery is essentially acts as a capacitor and stabilizes voltage. The truck will run off of the alternator in the case of a discharged battery, but it may not be able to when an entire cell has failed.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 Saying that Phil Long Ford sucks is like saying that the Mona Lisa is a painting ... and don't bother trying Chapel Hills. They're worse than Motor City.

+1 Saying that Phil Long Ford sucks is like saying that the Mona Lisa is a painting ... and don't bother trying Chapel Hills. They're worse than Motor City.
chapel hills was the one closest to me. i used to live near research and union. they were the ones to tell me my 4wd problem was due to my tires and wanted to sell me $1600 in tires before they addressed my 4wd issue. groove ford actually did work and found it was an actuator issue

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know but unfortunately a little late for this go round. At least you understand why I’m trying to understand all of this in parallel with the dealership. Taking it to Denver isn’t really an option at this point. If I wasn’t moving to SLC this year I’d be more unhappy about driving 1.5 hours to get decent service here.
hell, you want me to come down with a battery? got a fully charged yellow top ready to go.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Either way, you will most likely be replacing the battery since it's dead anyway, if there is something else wrong, I hope it's not too expensive. Are they letting you know today?

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Either way, you will most likely be replacing the battery since it's dead anyway, if there is something else wrong, I hope it's not too expensive. Are they letting you know today?
That was my thought. They can’t look at it until tomorrow. That was why I tried going the route of just replacing the battery today myself to check.
hell, you want me to come down with a battery? got a fully charged yellow top ready to go.
I appreciate it and if the timing worked out better I would’ve said yes. Might as well wait till tomorrow at this point since it’s already at the dealership. Timing on all of this sucked since it happened on Saturday and nothing was gonna be open until Monday.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope not but I'm betting you spun a rod bearing . Starter performance fault code means it could not turn over engine. That's when engine died and would not restart . I'm sure it had a good charge and it lasted 7 hours till it went dead .

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was my thought. They can’t look at it until tomorrow. That was why I tried going the route of just replacing the battery today myself to check.

I appreciate it and if the timing worked out better I would’ve said yes. Might as well wait till tomorrow at this point since it’s already at the dealership. Timing on all of this sucked since it happened on Saturday and nothing was gonna be open until Monday.
Well, it won't hurt to throw in a new battery then, if you have the time to do it. I'm sure the dealer is pretty competitive in their pricing on batteries these days, or just pick one up on your way down.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
I hope not but I'm betting you spun a rod bearing . Starter performance fault code means it could not turn over engine. That's when engine died and would not restart . I'm sure it had a good charge and it lasted 7 hours till it went dead .
well that’s definitely more than just a battery replacement…. It didn’t actually last 7 hours. That’s just how long I was there. Maybe that’s besides the point. Something like this is more of what I was afraid of.