Misfires, cleaned MAF and fixed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While installing my UPR catch can and tapping the WOT line I noticed these on the inlet side of each turbo. I remember seeing these in the back of various magazines as a kid but I never thought they actually worked. Much like the stator vanes on the inlet of a turbine engine, I’m sure they are similarly purposed.

The right side turbo intake also has some kind of a mesh liner built into the bulge.

bb4ecdbf27c56add73c11faf939838e5.jpg

55558045c338905172f8dc3af3c7f3f0.jpg

fb25c5e92a1a5241bec2d5fcac5cabde.jpg

Lastly, with clean TIP sensors and my new catch can the truck is running FANTASTIC. I don’t know whether it was the 79° this morning or the lack of oil vapor being ingested, but the truck held max boost (gauge completely full) through the first 3 gears coming off a light. Truck runs like new again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to clean this sensor? Assuming one would liberally spray some CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner on it? (Of course, ensure it's bone dry before reinstalling!)

Last edited:

NeverEnoughHP

Reaction score
I just did this on my 18 with 4400 miles. Same issue, stumble on acceleration and a few rough spots just off idle. TIP sensor and mass airflow had no oil residue but the TMAP at the rear of the manifold was soaked. For those of you with a catch can, did this stop the oil vapor from soaking these sensors? Not too excited about having to do this every 4k miles.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my 18 with 4400 miles. Same issue, stumble on acceleration and a few rough spots just off idle. TIP sensor and mass airflow had no oil residue but the TMAP at the rear of the manifold was soaked. For those of you with a catch can, did this stop the oil vapor from soaking these sensors? Not too excited about having to do this every 4k miles.

I'm wondering why some people have this issue, but obviously most do not. My `18 has 17,000 miles already with zero issues. My guess is the initial ring seal isn't as good on those having "oily sensor" issues. It may get better with more miles. Then again if it is the ring end gaps too big, aligned to closely, or the oil ring expanders broken...

How is the oil level itself? Is it consuming any oil?

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine this morning while putting off cleaning out the gutters on my house. I am at about 20K miles. I had cleaned the front one before but was too lazy to take off the engine cover to clean the rear one. They both looked pretty clean. Very little oil if any. I sprayed them anyway and let them dry off and slapped them back in there.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m
Going to tackle this this weekend.
After a 3k mike road trip my truck started hesitating bad and directly going to 10th at 35-40 mph.

This happened after 1k miles through Canada at the stupid 90km/h.

Thought it was bad fuel or a dirty filter. Ran they 3 tanks of premium and a new air filter with no change. Hopefully this is the reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeverEnoughHP

Reaction score
Oil is normal level. Seems to be oil vapor in small quantity but enough to make the sensor completely wet.
I'm wondering why some people have this issue, but obviously most do not. My `18 has 17,000 miles already with zero issues. My guess is the initial ring seal isn't as good on those having "oily sensor" issues. It may get better with more miles. Then again if it is the ring end gaps too big, aligned to closely, or the oil ring expanders broken...

How is the oil level itself? Is it consuming any oil?