Markup hell?!?! Just me???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Man these dealers just don't give up. Thought I'd give you an update on my local "greedy ass dealer" since you enjoyed the last one.
4ab53ce41512596abc25f170c8239717.jpg

bfd148505507764b79ca2a6ee012cfe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man these dealers just don't give up. Thought I'd give you an update on my local "greedy ass dealer" since you enjoyed the last one.

Lolz. My favorite thing to do when one of the many, many dealers I've spoken to calls me back is to try and turn the tables on them. I ask them what they're selling theirs for and they give me some insane number -- I've heard as high as $38k over. I say that's a little too high and they say they've been selling them at whatever price they quoted for months now. Then I tell them that I have a brand new Raptor that I can sell them (the one I had ordered back in October for right about MSRP) off a dealer lot for $5k over and even ship it to them for free. Then all the sudden they tell me that sounds good and will have their sales manager call me back which of course never happens.

Calling dealers in search of my Raptor was one of the most mind numbing things I've ever done. I don't care that they want to make as much money as they can, but their lack of knowledge, baseless statement (e.g. - all Raptors in the country have sold), and just general smugness is torture. I really hope Ford changes the way the allocation system works because this year was a trainwreck.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Lolz. My favorite thing to do when one of the many, many dealers I've spoken to calls me back is to try and turn the tables on them. I ask them what they're selling theirs for and they give me some insane number -- I've heard as high as $38k over. I say that's a little too high and they say they've been selling them at whatever price they quoted for months now. Then I tell them that I have a brand new Raptor that I can sell them (the one I had ordered back in October for right about MSRP) off a dealer lot for $5k over and even ship it to them for free. Then all the sudden they tell me that sounds good and will have their sales manager call me back which of course never happens.

Calling dealers in search of my Raptor was one of the most mind numbing things I've ever done. I don't care that they want to make as much money as they can, but their lack of knowledge, baseless statement (e.g. - all Raptors in the country have sold), and just general smugness is torture. I really hope Ford changes the way the allocation system works because this year was a trainwreck.

Yes it was. A pain I hope to forget when my truck gets delivered this month lol. I've never worked so hard to give someone my money lmao. Crazy world we live in.

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best quote of the month, "I've never worked so hard to give someone my money." I too, was laughing when I read that just because we all know firsthand how true it is.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes it was. A pain I hope to forget when my truck gets delivered this month lol. I've never worked so hard to give someone my money lmao. Crazy world we live in.

Nice man. Sad people are paying these markups. If nobody paid them these dealers would have to come down. Like I said the dealer closest to me has 5 raptors on lot for 15k over sticker and one in route. Three have been sitting there for 3 months now. Hope they rot on the lot. Lol

Never understood the dealer mentality. I'd rather sell 10-20 cars a month for a fair price rather than a handful by ****** the customers for the most I can get. :goofy_batman: No wonder car salesmen have a bad reputation.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

glad you pointed out that this is a FORD problem. this level of ridiculousness is mainly with ford, their allocation system and the way they handle their dealer network. granted, the law does protect dealers to a point, but ford can work around it just like many other makes do.

i gave up, i pulled the trigger on a tundra TRD pro for sticker. ordered it exactly the way i wanted, no hassles, not even a hint of mark-up. i probably could have worked it lower but i'm happy and the dealership experience has been amazing so far. plus, they build them all year long and sell them as they come in, no "allocation" crap. the only limitation is they don't build them every day or even every week at the factory, so you have to wait a bit for a "slot" to get it built.

sure, it ain't a raptor and doesn't pretend to be. none of the fancy tech, but it's bullet proof and it's a toyota. plus, it'll be about 53K fully loaded out the door.

i would still love a raptor, maybe in another 4-5 years. this forum is great for getting info, but it sure hasn't helped find a raptor at a reasonable price. it's a FORD for christ's sake, it ain't nothin' special. i'm tired of this attitude that it's some holy grail truck, it's a package on an f-150, period.

Hdscreens

Reaction score
I like this post. While, I wouldn't personally recommend anyone purchase a Tundra even though my own mother works at Tundra factory. I would recommend if Ford dealers are pricing themselves out with their ADM that we should look into other options from other manufacturers due to pricing. With current dealer mark ups I'm thinking of getting a used Gen V Dodge Viper instead. I know it's a completely different vehicle but when pricing is unnecessarily high on Raptor it certainly adds many more options to choose from. I've had a Viper before and dang do I still miss that car. I like the Jaguar F-Type and new SUV as well not to mention a few Range Rover models.

glad you pointed out that this is a FORD problem. this level of ridiculousness is mainly with ford, their allocation system and the way they handle their dealer network. granted, the law does protect dealers to a point, but ford can work around it just like many other makes do.

i gave up, i pulled the trigger on a tundra TRD pro for sticker. ordered it exactly the way i wanted, no hassles, not even a hint of mark-up. i probably could have worked it lower but i'm happy and the dealership experience has been amazing so far. plus, they build them all year long and sell them as they come in, no "allocation" crap. the only limitation is they don't build them every day or even every week at the factory, so you have to wait a bit for a "slot" to get it built.

sure, it ain't a raptor and doesn't pretend to be. none of the fancy tech, but it's bullet proof and it's a toyota. plus, it'll be about 53K fully loaded out the door.

i would still love a raptor, maybe in another 4-5 years. this forum is great for getting info, but it sure hasn't helped find a raptor at a reasonable price. it's a FORD for christ's sake, it ain't nothin' special. i'm tired of this attitude that it's some holy grail truck, it's a package on an f-150, period.

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitronate, I can appreciate and even agree with nearly your entire post until you got to your last line, "it's a package on an f-150, period."

The 2017 Raptor (unlike the Gen1 which did share the F-150 frame) does not share the same frame as any F-series, it has a different engine than anything in the F-series, it has different shocks than anything in the F-series, it has a different exhaust unlike anything in the F-series, it has a different transmission than anything currently in the F-series, even the body is different and 6 inches wider than the F-150, the grill is different, the tires are different. Which of the F150 models have the drive modes??

Really the only similarities are the interior options and they are both trucks made by Ford. So how does that make the Raptor an "F-150 package"?? In essence there is very little by way of similarities between the 2017 Raptor and the F-150 outside of interior makeup.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitronate, I can appreciate and even agree with nearly your entire post until you got to your last line, "it's a package on an f-150, period."

The 2017 Raptor (unlike the Gen1 which did share the F-150 frame) does not share the same frame as any F-series, it has a different engine than anything in the F-series, it has different shocks than anything in the F-series, it has a different exhaust unlike anything in the F-series, it has a different transmission than anything currently in the F-series, even the body is different and 6 inches wider than the F-150, the grill is different, the tires are different. Which of the F150 models have the drive modes??

Really the only similarities are the interior options and they are both trucks made by Ford. So how does that make the Raptor an "F-150 package"?? In essence there is very little by way of similarities between the 2017 Raptor and the F-150 outside of interior makeup.

how about the bed configuration, lights, wiring harnesses, transmission, the cab in general, paint, dash, steering wheel, engine compartment, steering, condenser, a/c compressor. tons of stuff is the same (or very similar to) a base f-150. that's why it's an f-150 raptor and it's part of all the other f-150 packages on ford's website. you don't look at a raptor and think it's an upgraded mustang, you think it's an upgraded f-150. anyone can see that.