Lost Brakes on R NOW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
I have a 22 Raptor with 37s, and a 23 R

Both trucks have lost brakes many times. Oddly the 37 and the R lost the brakes at almost the exact same spot to the foot @ mile 550 on a 1000 miles trip.

The root cause is the Wash board roads is freaking out the braking system. When I mean no brakes, I mean the pedal hits the floor and every alarm is going off. And you must disconnect the negative battery for 20 min to reset the computer.

Bottom line is the trucks computers do not like Washboard roads. Both trucks have same issue. Even reset the same issue happens within 5-10 miles of it.

Ford WTF

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like it’s going into an ABS event due to the washboard surface. ABS operation strategy changes based on drive mode, which one are you using when it occurs?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t remember; did you have brake issues in your Jen Too?

Ford Performance really should be paying you QA money.

boredm

Reaction score
soo...what speed are you going when you encounter this and how do you end up stopping?

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 22 Raptor with 37s, and a 23 R

Both trucks have lost brakes many times. Oddly the 37 and the R lost the brakes at almost the exact same spot to the foot @ mile 550 on a 1000 miles trip.

The root cause is the Wash board roads is freaking out the braking system. When I mean no brakes, I mean the pedal hits the floor and every alarm is going off. And you must disconnect the negative battery for 20 min to reset the computer.

Bottom line is the trucks computers do not like Washboard roads. Both trucks have same issue. Even reset the same issue happens within 5-10 miles of it.

Ford WTF
Since default mode for Baja mode is 4x4 I did not think Baja mode was avail in 4x2?
What was road surface? was this rough blacktop or dirt?

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mile 550 on a 1000 mile trip doesn't sound like dirt
No fault of truck. Operator error in my book.

BAJA - RAPTOR​

Terrain Control - Baja
For high speed off-road driving. Baja mode optimizes the throttle control for better response and torque delivery.
Four-wheel drive high is the default four-wheel drive mode. Four-wheel drive auto is not available in baja mode.
Off-road is the default steering and suspension modes. All steering and suspension modes are available.
Baja is the default exhaust mode. All exhaust modes are available.
The system tunes the engine and transmission controls to baja mode.
The system tunes the stability and traction controls to baja mode.
The electronic locking differential is available at all speeds in four-wheel drive. See Switching the Electronic Locking Differential On and Off - 4x4.
Note: Using baja mode on dry, hard surfaces could produce some vibration, driveline bind up, and potential excessive tire and vehicle wear depending on the four-wheel drive mode selection.

OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
Never happened on Gen2

As for what am I doing to prepare for it when it happens each time. Pump the brakes as fast as I can to get even a little pressure and downshift slowly, only 1 of the times I had to power out of the turn and it worked but I dont feel like doing that when im solo on most my trips