Looking at a used Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
So my options right now...

• $50K OTD after trade-in for a Ford Certified LFG 2018, 61k miles, looks clean. In today's budget. Only "bad" about it would be the mileage.
  • $59K OTD after trade-in for a "Certified" (independent lot) White 2018, appears leveled, 48k miles. More than I'd like to pay today.
  • Do nothing and wait a few months for either price drops, or price increases. Maybe a little more cash to put down, maybe a little better credit. I dunno.

The Silver 2017 I was looking at has a few little things about it. Inside looks a little dirty, they showed a close up of the USB ports and they were filthy on the inside, the cap on the rear 12v was broken off/missing, the bed is filthy and the tow hitch has a locking pin and some surface rust inside. Oh, and the red stripe on the steering wheel is almost black :eek:.
Nothing crazy, but it paints a picture of an ogre who didn't take care of the truck, and a Ford dealership can't even get it cleaned up after a full detail. Like the detailer got 90% of the muck and then died of work-related fatigue.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my options right now...

• $50K OTD after trade-in for a Ford Certified LFG 2018, 61k miles, looks clean. In today's budget. Only "bad" about it would be the mileage.
  • $59K OTD after trade-in for a "Certified" (independent lot) White 2018, appears leveled, 48k miles. More than I'd like to pay today.
  • Do nothing and wait a few months for either price drops, or price increases. Maybe a little more cash to put down, maybe a little better credit. I dunno.

The Silver 2017 I was looking at has a few little things about it. Inside looks a little dirty, they showed a close up of the USB ports and they were filthy on the inside, the cap on the rear 12v was broken off/missing, the bed is filthy and the tow hitch has a locking pin and some surface rust inside. Oh, and the red stripe on the steering wheel is almost black :eek:.
Nothing crazy, but it paints a picture of an ogre who didn't take care of the truck, and a Ford dealership can't even get it cleaned up after a full detail. Like the detailer got 90% of the muck and then died of work-related fatigue.

The LF 2018 or wait. Market should adjust down a bit by late Q1 if you want to wait. I'd say the LF 2018 if you're buying now because it's Ford Certified and your description would suggest it's stock. Used performance vehicles always worry me because I don't want to inherit someone else's bad mods. Ford Certified is also attractive and makes the mileage less concerning. That is a lot of miles for a 2018 so the one other factor to think about is whether it's smart money (if you care). It's not, because you're buying in a seller's market and the mileage will hurt you more later. If you keep your vehicles until they're worth peanuts then no worries.

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
The LF 2018 or wait. Market should adjust down a bit by late Q1 if you want to wait. I'd say the LF 2018 if you're buying now because it's Ford Certified and your description would suggest it's stock. Used performance vehicles always worry me because I don't want to inherit someone else's bad mods. Ford Certified is also attractive and makes the mileage less concerning. That is a lot of miles for a 2018 so the one other factor to think about is whether it's smart money (if you care). It's not, because you're buying in a seller's market and the mileage will hurt you more later. If you keep your vehicles until they're worth peanuts then no worries.
I do like LFG a little better.

The mileage does bother me a bit, but I drive 2000-4000 miles/yr and I typically hold on to vehicles for a very long time. I try to convince myself that in the long run it won't matter. But in 5 years the silver one will still have 13k less miles. I dunno.

Hard to say what the market will do... I assume it will normalize, but we're living in a world where nothing is surprising, and we have conflicting opinions on who the president will even be in less than a month. Californians can't even leave the house for crying out loud.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like LFG a little better.

The mileage does bother me a bit, but I drive 2000-4000 miles/yr and I typically hold on to vehicles for a very long time. I try to convince myself that in the long run it won't matter. But in 5 years the silver one will still have 13k less miles. I dunno.

Hard to say what the market will do... I assume it will normalize, but we're living in a world where nothing is surprising, and we have conflicting opinions on who the president will even be in less than a month. Californians can't even leave the house for crying out loud.

I work in the auto retail field. This isn't financial advice but my gauge on the reasons for the current market conditions would suggest it will normalize some as new-car inventory becomes more available in 2021. The vaccine should suppress the COVID situation some as well, even if only in terms of public feelings.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

You're spot on. The last time Ford took time off between the GEN1 and 2 the prices were way up on GEN1's. With no 2021 Raptor I'm guessing history repeats itself.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys are giving me an anxiety attack lol

Lol. The Raptor-specific point here hold some water. I'm thinking in terms of the used car market but the Raptor in particular may hold or even increase through 2021 because there's no new one on sale now.