Looking at a used Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rman

Reaction score
So I've been searching around and I've recently learned while shopping for my wife's car that used car negotiations aren't what they were 10 years ago. Either that or my skills have weakened lol.

I've narrowed my search down to 2 trucks for now

17 Silver fully loaded except CF trim - $53k w/ 54k miles
18 Gray fully loaded except CF trim and Heated steering wheel - $54k w/ 61k miles (7/100k powertrain)

A lower mileage truck is outside of my budget right now, without either getting red, or sacrificing cleanliness or dealer reputation. I used to buy anything and fix what popped up, but times have changed, my back has gotten tired, and time is a scarce commodity.

The question is - is this mileage anything to shy away from?
It'll be a weekend toy only. I only drive my trucks 2-4k/yr. The Certified/Extended Warranty is a nice little peace of mind, though I'm sure it'll get voided pretty quickly once I start dumping mods into it.

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
The silver one does have an ADD front bumper and winch... not the bumper I'd choose and not sure I'd want the weight of a winch... but it would probably sell for the bumper I do want.. or other mods.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Silver is a pretty rare color for a Rap, so there’s that and heated steering wheel is not a gimmick. If you’re planning on off roading and modding, then discount the warranty from your considerations.

I don’t think the mileage is anything to worry about.
I think I’d lean towards the silver ’17.

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
A dealership with a white 18 with $48k decided to play ball, we'll see if they can meet my budget constraints lol. Appears to be fully loaded incl. CF, not sure about the steering wheel, window sticker lookup won't pull up. Also looks leveled, black coils up front which I believe are Geiser... isn't nose-high so possibly leafs out back.

I want to sell my wife's old navigator which private party is $7-8k. Just don't have the time to do so, and the world's best platform, Facebook, has completely restricted me.
Trade in is a paltry $2900 which is actually starting to look decent. Also not sure how the used cash market is right now for 14 year old gas guzzling SUVs.

As for the steering wheel... first time I felt one was back in 2015 in a rental 300c. It was amazing.
Wife has one now in her new Navigator and it's got to be one of the best little subtle amenities out there.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Above 45k miles check the service records for recent shock rebuilds or replacement. That's about the time they should be changed or rebuilt. I'd make the dealer do it if it hasn't been done or give you a little discount.

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
Above 45k miles check the service records for recent shock rebuilds or replacement. That's about the time they should be changed or rebuilt. I'd make the dealer do it if it hasn't been done or give you a little discount.
Not a single raptor I've seen has had that in their carfax, and all of them have had over 45k.
What's the cost on that?

edit: derp, google. $550 was the first hit. I assume $400-600 would be fair.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not a single raptor I've seen has had that in their carfax, and all of them have had over 45k.
What's the cost on that?

Probably wouldn't be in the carfax, you'd have to ask the dealer to pull service records given the service was done at the dealer or if there are any receipts that were kept by the previous owner. Or just check for leaks (even though the dealers probably clean them).

Somebody that used the trade program with forged offorad says it was around $700 for rebuild and shipping but they installed themselves. New shocks obviously being more than this.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIkavL1JD07QIV9vLjBx24_gBiEAQYByABEgJYtfD_BwE

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIkavL1JD07QIV9vLjBx24_gBiEAQYBiABEgKeYPD_BwE

OP
OP
R

rman

Reaction score
Probably wouldn't be in the carfax, you'd have to ask the dealer to pull service records given the service was done at the dealer or if there are any receipts that were kept by the previous owner. Or just check for leaks (even though the dealers probably clean them).

Somebody that used the trade program with forged offorad says it was around $700 for rebuild and shipping but they installed themselves. New shocks obviously being more than this.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIkavL1JD07QIV9vLjBx24_gBiEAQYByABEgJYtfD_BwE

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIkavL1JD07QIV9vLjBx24_gBiEAQYBiABEgKeYPD_BwE
I was looking at the 10-14 shock rebuild, the gen2 is $689.

A new set almost seems worth it at $1700. Then sell the old ones for a chunk of change on ebay?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was looking at the 10-14 shock rebuild, the gen2 is $689.

A new set almost seems worth it at $1700. Then sell the old ones for a chunk of change on ebay?

You can usually sell shocks that need a rebuild for a decent amount. Personally I'd skip ebay with all the fees and try using here or the Facebook group Raptor classifieds.

And I'm not saying all shocks are toast by 45k miles but it is something to consider. Mine started to leak pretty good at 40k miles on my GEN1

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been searching around and I've recently learned while shopping for my wife's car that used car negotiations aren't what they were 10 years ago. Either that or my skills have weakened lol.

In general you definitely can't negotiate as much as you used to but right now you have no leverage. The current vehicle market is all about scarcity. Prices are higher and less negotiable because demand is high. New-car inventory is super low which is driving up used car demand with static supply. The dealer can hold firm on price with a Raptor because if you pass on it someone else will buy it. Also the comment about "making the dealer do it" for shock work seems like a long shot. They don't have to do anything because there's someone else who will buy it at asking price without saying a word.