Prospective gen 2 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DegenRaptor

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been in the market for a gen 2 now for the last few months. Watching the markets slowly decline on these trucks (rates are def heading the other way lol). My budget is around 50k. I had a gen one for a few years and sold it loved the truck. I test-drove a gen 2 earlier this year and what a difference. What are your thoughts on purchasing a gen 2 with 80k+ miles? I live in CA and I am limited to in-state purchases as my CU only deals with in-state purchases, unfortunately. It seems like most gen 2s within my budget have around 70k miles and work it's way up. My CU offers an extended warranty plan that looks to cover pretty much everything for about $1500. So I figured if I do end up getting a higher mileage gen 2 I could just purchase the extended warranty through my CU. Am I going at this the right way?

These are the options I am looking for -
17' to 20' SCREW
802A Package
Preferred mileage under 100k warranty is a plus if it already has it. If not I will purchase through my CU
Solid maintenance records
Preferably 1 or 2 owner history
Black/leadfoot
This will be my day-to-day vehicle. I work from home so I don't intend to put a ton of miles on it. Prob be used more to go camping or out to the desert to shoot.

I have found a few trucks I will list here that I'm currently looking at or have started talking to. Most are from dealers at the moment. I'll link em down below for you guys to view -

OPTION 1 -

Price - $46,981
Dealer has dropped price 2k over the last month
I really like this one. It checks everything off the list as far as factory options. I haven't found too many gen 2s at this price point with recaros. The only concerning thing is the high mileage at almost 108k.
Pros -
TONS of options
One owner
Carfax looks to be clean ( I'm taking this with a grain of salt. I know carfax isn't the most accurate thing out there)
Looks to be for the most part stock
It's been listed for some time now so I should have some wiggle room to work the price down.
This is local to me so I will be checking it out tomorrow.
Carfax service records look clean.
Would I be able to take this VIN to a ford dealer and ask them to run an oasis report?

Cons -
As far as I can see it's really just the mileage. 26k miles a year average is A LOT.
Any other cons?

Option 2 -
Price - $42,636
Dealer has dropped the price on this quite a bit.
I actually went to go look at this one in person already and drove it. Seems to drive fine. I have a funny story on this one... I initially went into the dealership and the truck was advertised at $46,610. This was before the stupid dealer add ons (lojack, paint protection, nitrogen tires, and other BS). I worked them down to take those off and got the truck down to $43,500. They told me this was as low as they could go. I told them I'd bit for 40k OTD. They declined and I left. The very next day the price dropped to $42,636.

Pros -
One of my favorite colors leadfoot
Pretty optioned out
One owner
Stayed in CA all its life
Most of the maintenance was done at a ford dealership locally
The truck itself looked pretty well-kept

Cons -
High miles
No warranty

I have a few more around me with similar specs/mileage.

Thanks again guys in advance for taking the time to read my post and helping me make a decision.

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On any of them check for shock rebuilds being done , hopefully recently and the most important. Cam phasers being done. If you’re going to see it at the dealership make sure they haven’t started it and let the truck build pressure prior to you getting there in order to hide it from you

OP
OP
DegenRaptor

DegenRaptor

Reaction score
On any of them check for shock rebuilds being done , hopefully recently and the most important. Cam phasers being done. If you’re going to see it at the dealership make sure they haven’t started it and let the truck build pressure prior to you getting there in order to hide it from you
Will do. Thanks for the quick advice man. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
DegenRaptor

DegenRaptor

Reaction score
I'm a proud new to me gen 2 raptor! Super stoked to have this finally. It's been a dream of mine to get one of these.
One owner
108k miles
Pretty much every option including recaro seats
Small little imperfections here and there. Other than that it drives amazing
Will be purchasing extended warranty through my CU
What should my first mod be?!

Attachments

• IMG_8813.jpeg
    IMG_8813.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 71539786467__7FBA3ECA-4FD5-438B-84E1-90D487FF2789.jpeg
    71539786467__7FBA3ECA-4FD5-438B-84E1-90D487FF2789.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8816.jpeg
    IMG_8816.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8779.jpeg
    IMG_8779.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Froadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first mods for me was adding some off-road lighting. The upfitter switches make it super easy to add lighting. I went with Baja Designs and have no regrets.

fortrog

Reaction score
Congrats brother! Love that this was a dream for you and now it's a reality. I am in the same boat and have been contemplating a gen 2 very similar conditions as well. Do you mind sharing what you ended picking this up for? How did the deal go? Hope you're enjoying the new truck!

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first mods for me was adding some off-road lighting. The upfitter switches make it super easy to add lighting. I went with Baja Designs and have no regrets.
Yes can never have too many lights!

I prefer subtle... i have fogs and behind the grill light bar.

Also good job on buying the 1 owner truck. mines at 93k miles and I will keep it a while longer but already have a list of people interested when I sell it. It will be high mileage but likely even over maintained. I don't f around with maintenance. I'm also on top of any repairs, thats good for you, good for the truck and ensures you get the most value out of the extended warranty. I have a 8 year 125k mile warranty that im almost exactly 6 years into. I'm well ahead of ford so far and I'm just now getting into the good part of close to 100k miles when you start to have more things like suspension work etc. Almost ready for shock rebuild #3, it makes a huge difference.

Attachments

• _DSC3939-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3939-Edit.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7

StevenStarke

Reaction score
Cam phasers are prob the most important thing you'd like to be done. Shock rebuild would be nice but you can always do it or have it done without breaking the bank too badly. I THINK the late 2020's don't have the cam phaser issue if you want to try and avoid the issue. By late 2020, I mean manufacture date.