Lightbar Behind Grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You -can- mount lights lower, but it’s just for who’s got more lumens bragging rights, headlights are the about the minimum height you want for off roading. Yes, the bumper pocket lights are good and work great on the street - I have them. but they’re easily blocked or obstructed. My S8 and XL80’s rarely get obstructed. Maybe covered in mud, but rarely obstructed.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that I have a new 2020 Raptor and left my lights on my 2019 when I traded in, I may be in the market for lights. I doubt I'll do the pocket lights again.

I do love quality, as I know almost all of us do, and I always thought BD was the pinnacle. When I got my Rigid light bar on the 2019, I was very impressed with it over the BD. Much whiter in color and as bright as it gets.

That said, I also like form sometimes over function and I like the idea of the S8 behind the grill, though I'd love a rough percentage of the amount of light robbed from it by being behind the grill. I also really like the LP4, but other than as A pillar lights, not sure where they can be mounted without drilling holes in the bumper which I won't do.

Does Rigid make a light comparable to the S8 to go behind the bumper?

Does Rigid make a comparable light to the LP4?

Oh, and to the OP: As stated by our resident @smurfslayer, don't apologize for asking questions. Do apologize for pics of a Dodge. ;)

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 30” single row I purchased from Rough Country that puts out great light and does not interfear with shutters. Easy install, great wire harness. I’m also thinking of a 40” for front pumper. Not concerned to much about it taking a bit of up close camera view.

You might check out these 4 Bumper Mount light bar kits we developed. Our brackets don't require drilling into your bumper at all and will not interfere with adaptive CC or anything else.

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...no-drill-bumper-mount-40-curved-light-bar-kit

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now that I have a new 2020 Raptor and left my lights on my 2019 when I traded in, I may be in the market for lights. I doubt I'll do the pocket lights again.

I do love quality, as I know almost all of us do, and I always thought BD was the pinnacle. When I got my Rigid light bar on the 2019, I was very impressed with it over the BD. Much whiter in color and as bright as it gets.

That said, I also like form sometimes over function and I like the idea of the S8 behind the grill, though I'd love a rough percentage of the amount of light robbed from it by being behind the grill. I also really like the LP4, but other than as A pillar lights, not sure where they can be mounted without drilling holes in the bumper which I won't do.

Does Rigid make a light comparable to the S8 to go behind the bumper?

Does Rigid make a comparable light to the LP4?

Oh, and to the OP: As stated by our resident @smurfslayer, don't apologize for asking questions. Do apologize for pics of a Dodge. ;)

Rigid does not have a kit similar to the S8, for behind the bumper. They make similar lights (such as the SR Series) but no "kits".

They don't make anything exactly like Baja, but have some options.

They have their XL Series, which are large lights, similar to an LP4/XL80. They also have the new 360-Series, which offers back-lighting. Available in a 4" and 6". It's a round light, but no side shooting. So there are some options, but nothing EXACTLY the same (The 360-Series being the most similar with the back lighting)

Shoot me a message if you need help pricing things out. While we stock more Baja then most, we're still a Rigid dealer with a decent amount of stock on Rigid as well.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’ll start by apologizing - I know I ask a lot of light questions!

Anyway, I know that you lose some output with the bar behind the grill, but I think it looks cool (plus I have A-Pillar lights and maybe a light bar on the bumper planned). I thought I saw somewhere (can’t find it now, I searched) that a behind the grill light bar interferes with the active shutters. Can somebody confirm or deny said rumor?

If you try to put a light bar behind the grill that wasn’t designed for that, you may get in the way of the shutters. Baja Designs makes one that fits fine and I will give you guys a sneak sneak peak of our new SRL behind the Grill kit that will launch in about 3 weeks.
This is a really cool kit. So the new SRL has an amber ring around it when off and of course a really bright white light when on. It’s around 14,000 lumens.

Let us know what you think!

John
Spvparts.com
317-93-GOSPV

6AD334CC-B56D-47D4-AE41-0FE986334FF6.jpeg 1B05FDB8-71A0-47FA-A51A-F2DD196856DF.jpeg 0E201BCA-6395-483B-BD28-E52C73DF85CB.jpeg 29EADEE0-C250-416D-9A29-C5F4A6ED2F44.jpeg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will a 40" bar fit there?

An SR Series bar MIGHT but you're getting a bit tight in there with the shutters. Plus you need to figure out a way to mount it. I'd just stick with the 30" S8 kit from Baja. It's designed to fit back there. If your concern is some light getting blocked, throw a 40" on the bumper by drilling it in or using Johns (SPP) no-drill mounts.

Otherwise I'd say stick with a triple fog kit for lighting. Anything outside a fog kit is used for off-road lighting and should not be used on public roads.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An SR Series bar MIGHT but you're getting a bit tight in there with the shutters. Plus you need to figure out a way to mount it. I'd just stick with the 30" S8 kit from Baja. It's designed to fit back there. If your concern is some light getting blocked, throw a 40" on the bumper by drilling it in or using Johns (SPP) no-drill mounts.

Otherwise I'd say stick with a triple fog kit for lighting. Anything outside a fog kit is used for off-road lighting and should not be used on public roads.

Thanks