King 3.0 install HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my Kings (front & rear view). No noise. Had them installed over a year ago. Shocks have been adjusted to sit level with the rear.

IMG_20191127_124814.jpg

IMG_20191127_124734.jpg

IMG_20191127_124627.jpg

IMG_20191127_124553.jpg

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my driver side one is clunking/creaking so bad its annoying. I took it back the installer Saturday. We did some testing by bouncing the truck and his opinion is its coming from the coil spring, but he cant figure out any reason why. Its not hitting anything and looks normal, however he said its def not normal. He took a video and is sending it to the King guy to listen to. He said if he had to guess, its a faulty coil spring that sounds like its binding up. Anyone else experience this and have a say in how it was dealt with.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So my driver side one is clunking/creaking so bad its annoying. I took it back the installer Saturday. We did some testing by bouncing the truck and his opinion is its coming from the coil spring, but he cant figure out any reason why. Its not hitting anything and looks normal, however he said its def not normal. He took a video and is sending it to the King guy to listen to. He said if he had to guess, its a faulty coil spring that sounds like its binding up. Anyone else experience this and have a say in how it was dealt with.
Make sure the spring in centered on the bottom bucket.
Mine was moved after adjusting ride height and it was rubbing on the spacer on the body. Piece of wood and a mallet 5 min later and no more squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to have to try that. I am having the same thing on mine. A knocking sound on the drivers side, drivers me nuts, and you can hear it when I am at low speeds. Sounds like an old POS that is about to break. I kept thinking that is how King Coil Overs are but guess not. You can see on the inside of my springs where it is rubbing the lower black collar. Will have to give the spring a little attitude adjustment and get it back in place.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sheesh, I wish I could take pictures of my kids that look this good.
Camera? Talent?

Good photography is 75% talent, and 25% equipment.

If you know what the light is doing and how to capture it, you then work within the constraints of your equipment. A good photographer can take a Fischer Price camera and make great images.

But a crappy photographer can take a high end camera and still make crap pictures.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the bottom bolt or bushing needed grease when installed?

Without a video or being there to see it's hard to tell

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the spring in centered on the bottom bucket.
Mine was moved after adjusting ride height and it was rubbing on the spacer on the body. Piece of wood and a mallet 5 min later and no more squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any pics of the before or after as it regards to centering. Mine were never adjusted from the box, pre-load was set from the factory. But when I look I notice that both springs (passenger side and driver side) are in a different position. Also both look like one side of the bottom is slightly hanging over the edge of the lower bucket, although my shock guy didnt seem to believe that was the issue. When we tested it, he had me hold my hand on the coil spring while he shook the truck and I could def fell it pinging or popping. Only one side does it, and its not hitting or rubbing on anything

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Both ends of the springs are ground flat. There is no "spring seat" like a traditional coil spring. Your springs look fine. Do a search on Kings and you will find many complaints about how noisy they are.

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the before or after as it regards to centering. Mine were never adjusted from the box, pre-load was set from the factory. But when I look I notice that both springs (passenger side and driver side) are in a different position. Also both look like one side of the bottom is slightly hanging over the edge of the lower bucket, although my shock guy didnt seem to believe that was the issue. When we tested it, he had me hold my hand on the coil spring while he shook the truck and I could def fell it pinging or popping. Only one side does it, and its not hitting or rubbing on anything

I had this issue... and then I fixed it... and it is starting to come back. Here is what I've done so far:

Initially both front coil overs were making that old, wooden ship creaking sound. It drove me so crazy I didn't drive my truck for three days till I had time to figure it out.

What I found was that the outer coil spring was rubbing the inner back piece that is on the shock body. At first I thought it wasn't rubbing... but I found that it was when there was any kind of compression or the wheel was turned either direction. If you look really closely... I mean get in there with a flashlight with your eyes close... you'll see where the spring is rubbing on the black piece of the shock body. There will be some light scuff marks.

To fix this... I rotated the coils around the shock body to different positions. Honestly my rotations were mostly educated guesses on which position of rotation would cause the least amount of rubbing. The sound comes from the "metal" coil rubbing the inner black "rubber". You'll be able to tell the starting position from the new position by looking at the bottom of the coilover. I looked at the "tail end" of the coil itself to judge how far I had rotated.

1,500 miles later after I fixed my sound issue.. I am getting a small noise coming from my driver side coil again. This side was always worse than the passenger size. I can only hear it at low speeds when my steering wheel is turned at a certain degree.

It sounds crazy... but I honestly might get some mole skin, yes the kind meant for the human body, and put it on that spot that is rubbing. This might be a horrible idea.. but in my mind it will prevent the metal from rubbing on rubber... thereby getting rid of the sound. Lol.

lmk if that helps.