King 3.0 install HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had King 3.0's put on my truck last week. They ride great and I'm extremely happy... BUT my installer made a mistake when he was adjusting the preload on the shock. I had him raise the front end so that my truck sits level with its icon rear leafs on option 1.

When he adjust the preload, it rotated the spring around the shock body. At the base of the spring there is a small plastic looking wedge that is supposed to be facing out towards the tire.

Currently the springs are not sitting where they are supposed to around the shock body. I will attach pictures... it's pretty obvious. The result is a very squeaky ride and the shocks are not position correctly.

When adjusting preload, does the "collar" need to be aligned with something on the shock body after adjustment? Or how do I get this in line? The pictures will explain. Note the circled portion at the bottom of the shocks.

I'm headed back to the shop today to try and get it figured out.

IMG_1315.jpg IMG_1314.jpg

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting the clunking squeaking sound from them ? Mine are brand new and doing the same thing, I thought it was just normal.

I am getting a horribly loud creaking from them. It sounds like an old wooden ship. See how the bottoms of mine aren't lined up the same? the driver side creaks wayyy worse than the passenger side. I literally have parked my truck since Friday cus I refuse to drive it with it being that loud. There is no way it is normal.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing same thing. I changed UCA's and shocks at same time so couldnt tell which was doing it. But it sounds like the same thing (sound) so it must be the shocks

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing same thing. I changed UCA's and shocks at same time so couldnt tell which was doing it. But it sounds like the same thing (sound) so it must be the shocks

Check the inside of your shock. There is a black protector in the middle that is supposed to help keep the spring centered. My springs were rubbing on the black piece and I THINK that is what’s causing the noise. I’m going to drive it for a little while and see if it changes. I hope it does cus I parked the truck all weekend. Couldn’t stand it.

I also reduced my preload. I had it set to around 1 inch over factory to maintain a level look with my rear icon leafs on option 1.

I put it to just two turns as the shocks
Come OTS. Idea was that this may reduce the side to send bend of the springs and give it less of a chance to rub that black piece.

if this solves it... I’ll probably go with some drop shackles so I can keep it level.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that's just how they are.. the spring or collar sits wherever its sits.. i'd bet the lower bolt weren't torqued properly and that's your noise, or possibly one of the heims is making noise..

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
take a picture of the end of the coil spring on the bottom.

It appears that everything is installed the right way and that you may have a loose something.

how much preload was added? if you add too much preload, it can bow the coil spring and cause noises.

King sells all sorts of different springs if you need a taller ride height, but dont want to increase spring rate ( which is what you are doing by adding preload. )

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a picture of the end of the coil spring on the bottom.

It appears that everything is installed the right way and that you may have a loose something.

how much preload was added? if you add too much preload, it can bow the coil spring and cause noises.

King sells all sorts of different springs if you need a taller ride height, but dont want to increase spring rate ( which is what you are doing by adding preload. )

I have two turns of preload now.
The sound is for sure coming from the spring rubbing on the shock body. The black part in the middle. It’s way worse on the driver side than the passenger side.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd call king tomorrow. They're pretty helpful although they might still be traveling from baja. Mine have some marks from I don't recall hearing noises and mine are cranked up pretty high on gen1