Is Shell V Nitro power a scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Railroader

Reaction score
does anyone have the answer to the PCM limit?

I agree that if we are worried about gas miliage, we are driving the wrong vehicle…….

that said, it is still an interesting exercise to keep up on the gas mileage as it is an indicator of how well the engine is running. I just know that it varies with the weight of my foot……..

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I paid for 450HP and that’s what I want when I hit the pedal. Dealer gave me a tank of 87 and that was all the truck ever saw of that cheap junk. 93 gives all the power and the best MPG. Why consider anything else for this truck unless all you can get is 91.

Basically the higher the octane of your fuel, the more cylinder pressure and timing your motor could handle. Obviously there is a max boost and timing number the pcm can provide. What are these values and how much octane over 93 can this truck utilize on a stock tune? Then of course the temp of your charge air comes into play. If your utilizing a stock IC, then I wouldn’t even bother with any fuel over 93.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have 94 octane up here at Chevron, I only use that when off-roading , be curious to know if we can add octane booster above that or not. What’s next : Nitrous, lol.

OP
OP
S

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 94 octane up here at Chevron, I only use that when off-roading , be curious to know if we can add octane booster above that or not. What’s next : Nitrous, lol.
yah Id love to see some dyno numbers with a full tank of 93 + an octane booster to get it to ~98.

Problem is the fuel mixing with octane boosters. How do you ensure you get good mixing of the 93 and the booster in the fuel tank.

Last thing you want to avoid is poor mixing where the timing jumps in between the two extremes of trying to time for 93 and then 98 slightly later, getting it wrong and causing knock.

laxmike32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah Id love to see some dyno numbers with a full tank of 93 + an octane booster to get it to ~98.

Problem is the fuel mixing with octane boosters. How do you ensure you get good mixing of the 93 and the booster in the fuel tank.

Last thing you want to avoid is poor mixing where the timing jumps in between the two extremes of trying to time for 93 and then 98 slightly later, getting it wrong and causing knock.
Back in the day I put the octane booster in the near empty tank at the pump then filled up

southof30A

Reaction score
My original tank of gas distance to empty was ~680 miles to empty when I first got the truck.

It got like ~430 miles. I assumed this was 87 octane that the dealer filled up, and for my first fuel up, I refilled with 87 octane. It got another ~430 miles so this confirmed that it was 87.

I haven't really bought used premium before, so I used the website find93 to find 93 octane near me, and by coincidence I went to shell first. Shell had V nitro power 93 at $4.70 per gallon. That is WILDY expensive. 87 was $3.00 per gallon. For science purposes I put V power in there and the ECU attempted to relearn the miles to empty. I assume it got a bump in the horsepower numbers, to the advertised 450, and the MPG got better. 87 was giving me ~13.8 and 93 is giving me ~16.2 mpg.

But I just dont think the detergent they put in there is worth it. I refilled up at sunoco 93 octane at $3.60 per gallon, and they advertise as nascar fuel. Im going to end up trading this raptor in for the R anyways, and the miniscule cleaning that it advertises it does is just not worth it on a trade in truck like this. In my opinion anyways...

On a side note, does anyone know how much octane the PCM can learn & adjusts to until its limit. Can we put octane boosters upto ~98 octane and the pcm actually adjusts timing and makes use of that? What is the limit of timing the PCM can actually do with respect to octane - definitely 87 to 93 but can it learn above 93.
Mine REALLY depends on city vs. highway. Also altitude affects my fuel economy as well. City driving in CO vs. highway driving in FL changes range by ~70 mi. per tank, using the same gas.