Is Shell V Nitro power a scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original tank of gas distance to empty was ~680 miles to empty when I first got the truck.

It got like ~430 miles. I assumed this was 87 octane that the dealer filled up, and for my first fuel up, I refilled with 87 octane. It got another ~430 miles so this confirmed that it was 87.

I haven't really bought used premium before, so I used the website find93 to find 93 octane near me, and by coincidence I went to shell first. Shell had V nitro power 93 at $4.70 per gallon. That is WILDY expensive. 87 was $3.00 per gallon. For science purposes I put V power in there and the ECU attempted to relearn the miles to empty. I assume it got a bump in the horsepower numbers, to the advertised 450, and the MPG got better. 87 was giving me ~13.8 and 93 is giving me ~16.2 mpg.

But I just dont think the detergent they put in there is worth it. I refilled up at sunoco 93 octane at $3.60 per gallon, and they advertise as nascar fuel. Im going to end up trading this raptor in for the R anyways, and the miniscule cleaning that it advertises it does is just not worth it on a trade in truck like this. In my opinion anyways...

On a side note, does anyone know how much octane the PCM can learn & adjusts to until its limit. Can we put octane boosters upto ~98 octane and the pcm actually adjusts timing and makes use of that? What is the limit of timing the PCM can actually do with respect to octane - definitely 87 to 93 but can it learn above 93.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pure gas and see what you get. I get a little bump in my Gen 1 with it over 87/89/91 with ethanol.
Pure gas will always get you better mileage than the blends, problem is coast and octane availability, i think around me its only 88 octane and its a solid 0.70/gallon more than regular 87 oct

OP
OP
S

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some rough math. Skipping to the conclusion of my rough math, it costs $105 to fill up with 87 octane (before tax), and $130 to fill up with 93 octane (before tax). But 93 gives you 86 more miles because of the better mpg. The cost to drive 86 more miles with 87 is $18, so the 87 becomes 105 + 18 = 123$ for equivalent miles travelled cost.

So its 7$ more to put 93 octane in for the same miles, but the benefit is you get 50 more horsepower and the engine runs better. CONCLUSION: ALWAYS PUT 93 normal OCTANE premium. It is 100% always worth it. 7$ more per fill up for all the added benefits is worth it for 93 octane. Skip 87 like the plague. 87 shouldn't even be considered when looking at the numbers. makes no sense.

however, extra "luxury" 93 fuel like shell's fuel at $ 4.7/gal when normal 93 at sunoco is $3.6/gal is not worth it, in my opinion.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much did it change?

For me it was dramatic. I'll admit I am an outlier (probably) but for me, it made at least a 2 mpg difference. I have run Cobb, Goose, and SCT. Goose and CObb both offered great MPG savings if you keep your foot out. The largest savings for me are on the 91 tune running 91 non-ethyl. With covid making traffic nonexistent I run 55-60 all the way to work and average @ 21mpg during those drives. When I figure in weekend travel I'm still @ 18.5. I once tried an 87 economy tune from one of those three I listed and it returned 13.5 on a round trip road trip from KC to Chicago @ 75mph. It was awful.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I mean do people really care about a mile or two MPG (or any for that matter) in a Raptor pick-up? I could see geeking out on the Prius forum, but this thread is humorous.

I'm just commenting.

For the record I always use premium fuel and have never looked at my MPG.

...carry on.