Is Nav essential ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ SoSmoked

My trade-in was a 2009 F150 with a three year subscription to the Sirius/Travel Link. About a week after it sold, the balance was credited back to my MC account; I didn't have to do anything.

If you opened a Sync account at the dealership, your Travel Link might be comped for three years.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When buying your raptor did you think having Nav was essential ? I'm wanting it cause once i get out of the city it'll be great for directions to Point B or would buying a Garmin or TomTom GPS and having it in the raptor be just as good.

What you guys think ?

Dude, save your money 3000.. buy the garmin 200. thats what i did. plus the buttons look sick at night when lit up. Garmins come with free traffic too.

note: the truck with sony sync radio comes with turn by turn directions. you dont need nav if you can follow directions.

slimj78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love mine, wouldn't change it now. I almost didn't get it but i figured might help with resale and its just plain cool.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I passed on the nav. I'm sure it has cool features but not worth the 2+k for me. I work at an Audi dealership and the new a7 has google earth for it's nav. After playing with that for a few days, Im glad I saved the cash because it would have been like playing with your buddies ps3, only to go back home and play with super nintendo. Not to mention the sync turn by turn works just fine.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
u need the sony navigation radio option to use all of the sync options. you certainly can't watch a dvd without it.

didnt even know dvd was an option.... but still. i was refering to the 10gb jukebox, sync voice stuff and then the sync turn by turn.... those you dont need the NAV.... i dont think.... right?

also if i really wanted dvd, id spend $700 on an indash dvd w/ nav and have that installed. but thats just me

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never used to get the Nav option...had always seemed like a rip off. Then had it on the last car purchased, my wife's Audi Q7. Learned to really love it. That said...comparatively I do not like the "NAV" on my Raptor at all...and in fact have hardly used it for navigation. Being hobbled without the ability to input changes while underway (can be overidden with aftermarket solutions), and not being too intuitive (like for simply pulling up a map...I know how to zoom in or out...but how do I scroll forward along my intended path, if I'm just using the map to see what's ahead...what road options exist?) So getting it for Navigation uses, my answer would be no. I got it almost entirely for the 7" screen with integration to all the other stuff on the car...and I thought it looked better...and the money didn't particularly concern me. While I occasionally use the Sirius, I almost always use streaming Bluetooth audio from my iPhone (Slacker, Pandora and Rhapsody). Would be nice if song/artist would integrate to the display and hopefully that happens. I think Sync is claiming it's possible, just needs the app development. At least steering wheel track control works so that works for me. I find myself using my iPhone on the fly for Nav...having wife or kids help if they're with me. So much easier. I use the Bluetooth handsfree phone and love it...having the caller info displayed is great...but the Raptor without the Nav probably still does that just fine.

So I guess the concise answer: don't get it for the Nav function. If I could get all the other system control on a touch screen and good, functional, intuitive Nav system on an aftermarket...that didn't make the dash look cobbled up, that would be my choice. At least now if something better does come out (like an iPad or BlackBerry PlayBook in the dash that integrates with Sync and HVAC) or whatever...at least I have a little more real estate to work with on the dash.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ bfr

how do I scroll forward along my intended path, if I'm just using the map to see what's ahead...what road options exist?

it'll scroll when the touchscreen is contacted for a couple seconds outside of the current location circle...you can do a donut on Nebraska, lol

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When buying your raptor did you think having Nav was essential ? I'm wanting it cause once i get out of the city it'll be great for directions to Point B or would buying a Garmin or TomTom GPS and having it in the raptor be just as good.

What you guys think ?

I realize I'm late to the party (as usual) but, my short answer is that given all the options we have with personal devices today, I wouldn't say NAV is an essential option on the truck. That said, only you can make that call on your purchase. FWIW, before I got my Raptor, I'd started using my Droid phone in a windshield mounted dock for navigation. That solution actually worked quite well as Google Maps are pretty accurate and work well even for cross country driving. If the upgrade was for navigation alone, I'd skip it but, I think we get more out of the system than just navigation.

For starters, as a navigation aid, it's a much, much large screen than anything short of an iPad (http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/ipad-2-f150-install-1802/). It's a central point from which you can control A/C and audio as well. I never thought I'd care for touch screen controls for the radio, A/C and my phone but, I do now. It could stand to react a bit faster at times but, overall I like it and I like the fact I can visually scroll through my phonebook without having to remember to pull my phone out of my pocket. Another small benefit is that I've actually found it useful to be able to watch training DVDs and power my laptop with the AC outlet if I'm sitting in a parking lot between appointments or during a lunch break from the office.

In the end, you could add a lot of functionality with an aftermarket option. However, I've found that I honestly like the system and probably won't buy another vehicle without it or I'll at least plan on adding in-dash navigation later if I buy something else like the 05-09 Mustangs I'm considering.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Especially if you plan on keeping the truck for an long time.

I wouldn't purchase Nav in any modern vehicle. Technology is constantly changing to something different and I'm sure 15 years down the road, the "older" technology in your car will go poorly-supported.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I just did a car club run down to branson on a back twisty road. Everyone else drive g37s, mustangs, corvette z06, bmw m3. So I was kinda the big slow one, and we were hauling ass down this road. Without having the map to see what turns were coming, I would have probably crashed, or at least have not been able to keep up. the road is almost never used so the was maybe 3 oncoming cars but none in front of us. It was hella fun though. Heres the map of the fun part.
Screenshot2011-05-21at84316AM.png

Last edited: