GEN 2 Is it me or are prices crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening fellas so I’m currently in the market for a 2020 raptor lead foot screw with an 802a package... I live in Southern California and I’ve gone to 1 dealership in Carlsbad 1 in Hemet and corresponded through email with 2 near Los Angeles... All of these dealerships will only down to msrp which they have listed as $72550 after tax title and license I’m looking at paying close to 80k otd for the truck which after reading the thread sounds crazy...

The sticker on the truck is:
Base price: $56,190
Total options: $14765

total vehicle plus options: $70,995
Destination and delivery: $1,595

msrp: $72550

What would the invoice price for this truck be and how would I calculate that total and what do you guys think is a fair price for this truck

I'm in Encinitas and purchased 2020 Raptor 802a at invoice. PM me if you'd need more details.

RaptorGavin

Reaction score
I'm in Northern CA and have seen a sudden uptick in dealer prices. Last month I was able to negotiate $2500 off MSRP in the Bay Area. Now they're back to MSRP + 5k-10k mark up. Dealers have them on order or in transit but with these being the last of the 2020's I'm sure dealers are holding their prices to at least MSRP. I've seen a couple 2019's 3k off in So Cal. I just don't have the time to make it down there right now.

Raptor62430

Reaction score
6D64967B-FF83-4A70-B439-A4673266490A.jpeg I gave all the san diego dealers a shot, mid 70s + tax, ended up buying in kansas, txguntrucks and broncoaz hit the nail on the head, out of state is the way, especially in SoCal, good luck, happy hunting, i’ll tell you what, it might take a while, but well worth the effort & wait...bigblue is a dream come true!!!

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who owns used luxury car lot. He said inventory is really hard to find right now so all car prices are going up across the board. Many used car lots in his area are temporarily closing because if they deplete their inventory now, they can't fill it back up. And purchasing now they will lose there asses when the inflation ends and can't sell for that price.

RaptorGavin

Reaction score
View attachment 146797 I gave all the san diego dealers a shot, mid 70s + tax, ended up buying in kansas, txguntrucks and broncoaz hit the nail on the head, out of state is the way, especially in SoCal, good luck, happy hunting, i’ll tell you what, it might take a while, but well worth the effort & wait...bigblue is a dream come true!!!

Any issues registering in CA? Also, what year did you make the purchase?

I've heard recently effective 2020 that CA residents can only purchase new from certain states only.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any issues registering in CA? Also, what year did you make the purchase?

I've heard recently effective 2020 that CA residents can only purchase new from certain states only.

I've bought all of mine from out of state... new and used Gen 1s. It takes a couple hours to do, but it's worth saving the money. As long as the truck has 50 state emissions (most do these days), its easy to register. Either the dealer gets it registered for you or they give you the MSO (like a title for a new car) and you take that to the DMV to register. Regardless of who registers it for you, at the most you'll need...

smog certificate
weight certificate (I've had them use the weight on the title/MSO before so its a maybe)
a vin verification (free from the DMV).

If the selling dealer is going to register it for you, they'll tell you what you need. If you register it yourself, the DMV will tell you what you need (you need to go into an office because it is from out of state)

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JFC this myth needs to die. EVERY SINGLE RAPTOR MADE IS 50 STATE LEGAL, INCLUDING CALIFORNIA. PERIOD. If bought out of state you will need to get a smog check and get the truck weighed. THERE IS NO MORE TO BE SAID ON THE MATTER.

Lags

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking what dealership did you deal with for your lead foot.....

I’m going to get on the phone tomorrow and see what kind of deals I can workout out of state...

Has anyone in this forum that is from
California purchased from out of state if so how did it go and if you could give us any info that would be awesome

Hey man, I live in Socal, Newport Beach, speaking of more money then brains, HAH! Just like many have said, when GEN 2 Raptors were first released, and they were selling for $20k over sticker, I bought my brand new 17’ AG with every option available in April 2017 at MSRP in MN of all places. Handled all the paperwork over the phone, flew out, made a mini vacation out of it, and spent 8 days driving home. They mailed all of the CA paperwork to my local DMV, so when I got home, I walked in without an appt. signed a few things and walked out. Wham bam thank you ma’am!

What may be more relevant for you now... I just sold my Raptor a month ago, and bought a 2019 F350 Platinum long box For $13,000 off MSRP, and got 0% from ford for 60 months from Westlie Ford in WA. Again, took the family, we flew to Portland OR, the dealership picked us up, took us over the bridge into WA, picked up the truck, and we spent 10 days driving the coast of WA, OR, and CA. Just like the Raptor purchase, the WA dealership mailed everything to my local DMV, and even with this stupid flu shit going on, and how backassward the DMV is all the time, because my transaction required an in person visit, they let me in, I signed a few things, and walked out with plates and stickers.

Buy out if state, it’s fun, it’s a way to take a little vacation, and you will definitely score a way better deal.

I have purchased so many damn vehicles over the last 20 years, and they are always ford! I try to be loyal to a few different dealerships in my area, and if a deal is within $500-$1000, I’d rather pay a few extra bucks and support them. But when we are talkIng $7000-15,000, fu** loyalty. They know it, and encourage me to do so anyway.

good luck!

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, I live in Socal, Newport Beach, speaking of more money then brains, HAH! Just like many have said, when GEN 2 Raptors were first released, and they were selling for $20k over sticker, I bought my brand new 17’ AG with every option available in April 2017 at MSRP in MN of all places. Handled all the paperwork over the phone, flew out, made a mini vacation out of it, and spent 8 days driving home. They mailed all of the CA paperwork to my local DMV, so when I got home, I walked in without an appt. signed a few things and walked out. Wham bam thank you ma’am!

What may be more relevant for you now... I just sold my Raptor a month ago, and bought a 2019 F350 Platinum long box For $13,000 off MSRP, and got 0% from ford for 60 months from Westlie Ford in WA. Again, took the family, we flew to Portland OR, the dealership picked us up, took us over the bridge into WA, picked up the truck, and we spent 10 days driving the coast of WA, OR, and CA. Just like the Raptor purchase, the WA dealership mailed everything to my local DMV, and even with this stupid flu shit going on, and how backassward the DMV is all the time, because my transaction required an in person visit, they let me in, I signed a few things, and walked out with plates and stickers.

Buy out if state, it’s fun, it’s a way to take a little vacation, and you will definitely score a way better deal.

I have purchased so many damn vehicles over the last 20 years, and they are always ford! I try to be loyal to a few different dealerships in my area, and if a deal is within $500-$1000, I’d rather pay a few extra bucks and support them. But when we are talkIng $7000-15,000, fu** loyalty. They know it, and encourage me to do so anyway.

good luck!

Wow! That's got to be the Best deal anywhere! I tried purchasing a 19 F350 Platinum instead of my 20 Raptor. MSRP was $79,725 after all rebates and 100% of the dealers Holdback I was at $70,678 or $9,047 before TTL. Below this number the dealer would be losing money, unless they have a volume incentive from Ford.

Also in my state you can only take the rebate or Ford financing and a $750 rebate, not both. Ford financing here is .09% for 60 months. If I went with Ford finance route I would have given up about $1,750 in rebates.

Congrats!