Is Full PPF Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is worth it for me since I do some decent highway miles and Rock chips are the worst here in FL. Nice roads, but the rocks chips will eat your paint alive. I won't be doing a full PPF but just Bumper (where the paint is at), Hood, Head Lights, & Mirrors.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my fenders and both bumpers body color painted. Waiting 30 day for new paint to cure is killing me. Entire rest of truck is already PPF'd. I find that I feel like truck has a little armor and therefore I worry so so much less. That alone is worth if for me. Side note, last three vehicles were full ppf and years later when selling not a single chip or scratch.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this quick mock-up since mine is going in next week or the week after for some PPF. Tossed around the idea of a full gloss, though this is really just going to be a highway animal more than a desert monster. Am I missing anything or have anything shaded that isn't necessary? Don't really know about the rear bedsides, though those hips do bulge out!

View attachment 403814
Seems like it would be nearly the same cost to do the whole truck. There are a ton of untucked edges on your mock up, I cant imagine the installer would charge that much more for a full wrap. IMO if you are looking for rock protection only the front will be plenty. Anything in the back is really more for pinstripe prevention, but your mockup has the doors exposed. I have the Xpel Stealth, but the B pillars are the clear. That is a game changer. They always look swirled and cloudy, now they look perfect.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPF if installed properly is way more than a coating. My last F150 KR was a 2017 and up until the day I sold it 5 yrs later I would get comments from people thinking it was brand new.

Bituman

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it’s worth it. I had xpel ultimate (10 mil) plus ceramic on entire truck. I’ve had this bucket list trip for several years to drive the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, basically a 500-mile gravel road from Fairbanks. I‘ve watched a few videos of that trip and it looks like rock chips on steroids. I think it would beat the crap out of paint, thus the best PPF I could find. Don’t know if I’ll ever actually get to do this, but I’ll be ready.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like it would be nearly the same cost to do the whole truck. There are a ton of untucked edges on your mock up, I cant imagine the installer would charge that much more for a full wrap. IMO if you are looking for rock protection only the front will be plenty. Anything in the back is really more for pinstripe prevention, but your mockup has the doors exposed. I have the Xpel Stealth, but the B pillars are the clear. That is a game changer. They always look swirled and cloudy, now they look perfect.
The price for the full truck is nearly double compared to what I have in the image. Seems like it wouldn't be that much more, I'm not considering the roof nor tailgate... Maybe I should make another call. Thanks!

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you need to clarify. In most cases, you won't have color fading unless you leave the truck out in the sun all the time in Florida. MAYYYBE after 20 years in the North you will see color fading, but for those of us that keep the truck in the garage when not in use, it will be fine. My 2014 had little to no color fading, and the hood vinyl and bed vinyls were still pristine.

As for paint damage, that sounds like an installer having no patience. I have had the PPF taken off multiple cars, even ones painted at the body shop post purchase and had no issues with damage. If thats a concern, perhaps you should look for someone else to do the film?

Finally, you're not factoring in deductibles. Many many times, if something damages the film, it would have severely damaged the paint. Now, you're only replacing a piece of PPF, which many times is cheaper than the deductible most people carry.

One more, dealerships are very happy to take a car off your hands with PPF on it because they know 95% of the time, the paint is great underneath which helps their turnaround.
Uhhh.. fading in the South would happen much quicker but if you think it’ll take 20 yrs in the North you’re delusional. It’s more than just the sun that effects your paint.

There is also a very good chance the film will damage the paint if left on for years. There are plenty of expert articles and videos available that prove it. The point of PPf is that you don’t take it off unless you have enough damage that’s it’s necessary.

This is why you shouldn’t take things you read on the internet as truth.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhhh.. fading in the South would happen much quicker but if you think it’ll take 20 yrs in the North you’re delusional. It’s more than just the sun that effects your paint.

There is also a very good chance the film will damage the paint if left on for years. There are plenty of expert articles and videos available that prove it. The point of PPf is that you don’t take it off unless you have enough damage that’s it’s necessary.

This is why you shouldn’t take things you read on the internet as truth.
The amount of speculation here is hilarious.

More than the sun impacts your paint if you take crap care of your car and leave it out in the elements. If its well taken care of and garage kept, time impact to UV exposure is about your only concern.

I have had film pulled off cars that have been applied for 5+ years without a single issue. Perhaps your "videos and experts" are just **** poor installers?

You can take the input however you'd like, but I've had PPF put on at least 7-8 personal cars and are yet to see an issue.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The amount of speculation here is hilarious.

More than the sun impacts your paint if you take crap care of your car and leave it out in the elements. If its well taken care of and garage kept, time impact to UV exposure is about your only concern.

I have had film pulled off cars that have been applied for 5+ years without a single issue. Perhaps your "videos and experts" are just **** poor installers?

You can take the input however you'd like, but I've had PPF put on at least 7-8 personal cars and are yet to see an issue.
Go talk to a good local paint shop and then get back to me.