Is Full PPF Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Range44

Reaction score
Touch up paint is a lot cheaper! I have PPF on some of my cars. It does not come without flaws. The non PPF'd panels will sometimes have a different shade over time from sun aging. Same with where the decals are. When PPF does get damaged you have to replace it. It sometimes can stretch the paint and do weird things to it. Its extremely expensive. On a rare sports car that are low to the ground, ok. On an off road truck that likely won't go off road, you'll never get that $$$ back. Would you pay $5K more for a used truck that doesn't have any rock chips? Or touch up the rock chips and save $5K? Save the money, enjoy the truck and let the next guy worry about whatever minor cosmetic flaws there are. Just my 2 cents. Everyone looks at things differently.

lobsterman

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the stealth film on the bumper and the fender flares. You had to do everything, or do nothing, and that was quite the cost incurred. My 2014 Raptor had maybe 2-3 chips on the fender flares after 80k miles, so I'm not too worried. Plus, these flares are smaller (and sadly not as nice looking as my gen 1), so I think the surface area to get hit is smaller. Those dang headlights though...

My headlights, mirrors, painted front clip (around the headlights), and the entire hood (except where the stickers are located) are covered. Then had the windows tinted and the entire truck ceramic'd.
I did the same except ppf on decals and no tint. Brought it to them direct from the dealer and have no regrets. Not cheap but plan to keep for many years and like some here a little OCD.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Touch up paint is a lot cheaper! I have PPF on some of my cars. It does not come without flaws. The non PPF'd panels will sometimes have a different shade over time from sun aging. Same with where the decals are. When PPF does get damaged you have to replace it. It sometimes can stretch the paint and do weird things to it. Its extremely expensive. On a rare sports car that are low to the ground, ok. On an off road truck that likely won't go off road, you'll never get that $$$ back. Would you pay $5K more for a used truck that doesn't have any rock chips? Or touch up the rock chips and save $5K? Save the money, enjoy the truck and let the next guy worry about whatever minor cosmetic flaws there are. Just my 2 cents. Everyone looks at things differently.
I think you need to clarify. In most cases, you won't have color fading unless you leave the truck out in the sun all the time in Florida. MAYYYBE after 20 years in the North you will see color fading, but for those of us that keep the truck in the garage when not in use, it will be fine. My 2014 had little to no color fading, and the hood vinyl and bed vinyls were still pristine.

As for paint damage, that sounds like an installer having no patience. I have had the PPF taken off multiple cars, even ones painted at the body shop post purchase and had no issues with damage. If thats a concern, perhaps you should look for someone else to do the film?

Finally, you're not factoring in deductibles. Many many times, if something damages the film, it would have severely damaged the paint. Now, you're only replacing a piece of PPF, which many times is cheaper than the deductible most people carry.

One more, dealerships are very happy to take a car off your hands with PPF on it because they know 95% of the time, the paint is great underneath which helps their turnaround.

Range44

Reaction score
I think you need to clarify. In most cases, you won't have color fading unless you leave the truck out in the sun all the time in Florida. MAYYYBE after 20 years in the North you will see color fading, but for those of us that keep the truck in the garage when not in use, it will be fine. My 2014 had little to no color fading, and the hood vinyl and bed vinyls were still pristine.

As for paint damage, that sounds like an installer having no patience. I have had the PPF taken off multiple cars, even ones painted at the body shop post purchase and had no issues with damage. If thats a concern, perhaps you should look for someone else to do the film?

Finally, you're not factoring in deductibles. Many many times, if something damages the film, it would have severely damaged the paint. Now, you're only replacing a piece of PPF, which many times is cheaper than the deductible most people carry.

One more, dealerships are very happy to take a car off your hands with PPF on it because they know 95% of the time, the paint is great underneath which helps their turnaround.
You are correct in all regards. I was was just explaining things I have seen over the years with PPF. Not any issues with my installer, but stuff I have seen brought to him to fix. Definitely vet your installer! I have seen some real hack jobs with PPF installers. Wasn’t saying there was any issues with dealers taking the truck off your hands. Just not sure you’ll get your financial investment back when you trade it in.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it is subjective, but after a year and two trips to Moab, I still do not have scratches or swirl marks. It cost 6k, but to me it is well worth it. If I purchase a used vehicle, I will go over it with a fine tooth comb. That said, if the body paint is immaculate, I probably won’t look too hard at other places. Oh, it still beads water like it should!

Zybane

Reaction score
I got a quote from a local shop for $8K to PPF my whole truck. I basically LOL'd. They have to be making MASSIVE profits on this service.

Spend almost 10% of the vehicles cost just to prevent some paints chips and scratches.. on a rapidly depreciating asset seems silly. You will never get anywhere near that sunk cost back when you go to sell it. Pennies on the dollar. And the guy said the PPF only lasts 5-8 years anyway.

My old Power Wagon was pin-striped to hell. About four hours of orbital polishing and I made it look about 80% better. The guy I sold it to barely even noticed. If I had the truck full PPF'd, I literally would have gotten zero dollars return for it.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
i went with front PPF - bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, lights - i did this because of the mass amount of highway miles i travel for hockey.
if i knew that i was mostly driving around town, i would have never done it. I was in and out for 2400 of Llumar film, and front windows ceramic tint to match the rears.

i went ahead and bought ammo nyc ceramic to apply myself for ease of washing.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote from a local shop for $8K to PPF my whole truck. I basically LOL'd. They have to be making MASSIVE profits on this service.

Spend almost 10% of the vehicles cost just to prevent some paints chips and scratches.. on a rapidly depreciating asset seems silly. You will never get anywhere near that sunk cost back when you go to sell it. Pennies on the dollar. And the guy said the PPF only lasts 5-8 years anyway.

My old Power Wagon was pin-striped to hell. About four hours of orbital polishing and I made it look about 80% better. The guy I sold it to barely even noticed. If I had the truck full PPF'd, I literally would have gotten zero dollars return for it.
Aside from mitigating, scratches and eliminating swirl marks, the one I got installed prevents water spots. I had it done with less than 100 miles on the truck and two Moab trips and 10,000 miles, the paint looks brand new.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this quick mock-up since mine is going in next week or the week after for some PPF. Tossed around the idea of a full gloss, though this is really just going to be a highway animal more than a desert monster. Am I missing anything or have anything shaded that isn't necessary? Don't really know about the rear bedsides, though those hips do bulge out!

1682346364099.png