INTERCOOLER THOUGHTS? Are they worth it?? Noticeable improvement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have noticed a big change in loss of power in the hotter days, the stock intercooler sucks!! ecp if your tuned like i am. i just ordered full race ic, cant wait too get it installed.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
one thing to consider.... theres no hiding a Ic. Go into a dealer and theres no question you're modded. At least with a tune no one can see it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
one thing to consider.... theres no hiding a Ic. Go into a dealer and theres no question you're modded. At least with a tune no one can see it.

That’s why there’s a whole thread on “best intercooler for stock location”- there is NO reason whatsoever Ford could justify denying warranty coverage on an aftermarket intercooler installed properly in the factory location & w/ no defects inherent to the intercooler itself that caused something else to fail (unlikely).

You think Ford would void warranty for using a Mobil 1 oil filter instead of a motorcraft?

I 1000% agree The big ass intercoolers that scream “modded tuned void my warranty” right through the grill, block the factory radiator/fans from doing their job properly & require modification are definitely asking for trouble & I also agree they probably do compromise some of the factory functionality of the truck.

A Wagner, mishimoto, whipple or CVF intercooler? I see no reason the dealer would question them or in reality even notice them.

A higher quality more robust part that functions the same & installs in the same location w/ little or no modification of the truck is not worth worrying about in terms of warranty. Hypothetically speaking If your wheel bearing starts growling you gonna be scared to install a timken? That’s OK you use a ****** fomoco part I’ll use a timken hub lol!!

I really haven’t heard of many instances where people are getting their warranties voided w/ these trucks- I mean for all the whining about cam phasers or transfer case issues- that no doubt make issues seem WAY more exaggerated than they really are, b/c let’s face it- if only 1/4 of the 5% of owners w/ those kinda problems voice it on a forum like this, it reads like it’s a “common” issue when it’s really just a contingent of annoyed vocal owners blasting Ford on the inter webs.

That being said- how many threads you’ve read on this or any F150 forum of voided warranty due to performance stuff?

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All good points. But for the limited gains of an ic for the average guy I wouldn’t do it.

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CVF intercooler is definitely a quality unit and well built. Fairly straight forward install and does make a difference. I have seen a 12 to 17 degree drop in intake temps now and I live in Florida. Cooler air is definitely better for the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s why there’s a whole thread on “best intercooler for stock location”- there is NO reason whatsoever Ford could justify denying warranty coverage on an aftermarket intercooler installed properly in the factory location & w/ no defects inherent to the intercooler itself that caused something else to fail (unlikely).

You think Ford would void warranty for using a Mobil 1 oil filter instead of a motorcraft?

I 1000% agree The big ass intercoolers that scream “modded tuned void my warranty” right through the grill, block the factory radiator/fans from doing their job properly & require modification are definitely asking for trouble & I also agree they probably do compromise some of the factory functionality of the truck.

A Wagner, mishimoto, whipple or CVF intercooler? I see no reason the dealer would question them or in reality even notice them.

A higher quality more robust part that functions the same & installs in the same location w/ little or no modification of the truck is not worth worrying about in terms of warranty. Hypothetically speaking If your wheel bearing starts growling you gonna be scared to install a timken? That’s OK you use a ****** fomoco part I’ll use a timken hub lol!!

I really haven’t heard of many instances where people are getting their warranties voided w/ these trucks- I mean for all the whining about cam phasers or transfer case issues- that no doubt make issues seem WAY more exaggerated than they really are, b/c let’s face it- if only 1/4 of the 5% of owners w/ those kinda problems voice it on a forum like this, it reads like it’s a “common” issue when it’s really just a contingent of annoyed vocal owners blasting Ford on the inter webs.

That being said- how many threads you’ve read on this or any F150 forum of voided warranty due to performance stuff?

Eh, it shouldnt void warranty, but dealers LOVE an excuse to be *****.

I had IWE problems that the dealer was dragging their feet on (IWE are a KNOWN issue), and they had the nerve to say, "Welllllll, you do have a boost gauge tapped into that line...."

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't but that's just because i know there will be a need for my warranty at some point and the fact that even though i do beat this thing off road it's only at peak boost a tiny % of that time. I spend money on race cars as well so making this pickup even a tiny bit faster is a waste of time and $$ for me.

That said, you do you.

Keith Buckman

Reaction score
Yes they are great. I also recommend a better heat exchanger and transmission oil cooler. I have lower IAT's (per my nGuage) than i did stock, stop and go or otherwise. The h/e is pathetically bad in the Raptor. Transmission oil cooler only takes about 10 minutes to install.

Plus 1 for repeatable power.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes they are great. I also recommend a better heat exchanger and transmission oil cooler. I have lower IAT's (per my nGuage) than i did stock, stop and go or otherwise. The h/e is pathetically bad in the Raptor. Transmission oil cooler only takes about 10 minutes to install.

Plus 1 for repeatable power.

Tranny oil cooler is also a good upgrade for longevity & reliable performance. Also another “mod” that I can’t see effecting warranty unless the part failed or was installed incorrectly causing other issues.

I’m pretty sure ford performance parts has an upgraded tranny cooler anyhow right?

Our trucks already have that from the factory or no? Is the ford part the same one that would be included w/ a towing package or something?

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
I am not really sure what you are in reference too. The reason for BOV primarily, in my opinion, is to replace a plastic BOV factory with a heavier duty metal one. This would be able to hold more boost if desired, and possibly last longer due to more robust construction. I know right now I don't plan on boosting more, but I also didn't plan on doing any mods to my truck.

Then I got the tune and intake, and that was going to be it... then I see the charge temps and wind up with intercooler and BOV.... Also thinking I might need to get a catch can as well... At this point, I am just accepting the fact that anything is possible and trying to be prepared. The sky is the limit.
From what I've read the catch can would be my first upgrade as forced induction causes a lot of blow by resulting in coking so trapping oil and water vapor seems to make sense. I know from my oil changes 6 qts go in but only 5 come out so the rest is running thru the engine and/or ending up in the intercooler.