Intake Charge Temps and Intake Air Temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil Casa

Reaction score
With the CVF, try to get it to seal as best as possible to the shutter assembly to keep the temps as low as possible. I did this by trimming about 3/4" off of the removable shutter adapter and now only have about a 1/16-1/8 gap which helps to direct more air through the IC.

OP
OP
W

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect the true FMIC to be better than stock location for sure - but nowhere near the difference between the ****** OEM IC and a good IC.
I am saying that Mishimoto Intercooler I have that uses stock location it does ok for what it is as far IAT2 temps from what I am seeing.

OP
OP
W

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big reason I am asking is I have a CVF intercooler to install and was hoping to get some before and after temps to compare
I have Mishimoto Intercooler which is almost same size as CVF one ( maybe 10% bigger). It has welded aluminum strips on the sides where rubber grommets sit. After I took the extra shroud off the rubber grommets went around the plastic trim and sealed the air flow nicely directly to the intercooler. You can see it here how the rubber grommets hug the plastic trim around

SmartSelect_20200515-123215_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am saying that Mishimoto Intercooler I have that uses stock location it does ok for what it is as far IAT2 temps from what I am seeing.
I am agreeing with you - what I mean is the difference between any good IC in the stock location is a huge improvement vs a small improvement between a good IC in stock location and FMIC.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like FMIC is 10ish degrees cooler than OEM IC location (with aftermarket IC)?

So stock location mounted aftermarket Intercooler is not far behind FMIC since like today with 70°F outside at WOT i've been seeing IAT2 temps 80-90°F range not passing 90°F staying little below it so maybe 15-18 degrees above ambient temps.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes and like I said I have Mishimoto one which is not top of the line. I am wondering how AMS or Garrett ones would do which also mount in stock location.
Splitting hairs. Limiting factor is size and airflow. Wagner would be #1 in the OEM location simply because of it's size. It is a tube/fin design as opposed to bar/plate.

OP
OP
W

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splitting hairs. Limiting factor is size and airflow. Wagner would be #1 in the OEM location simply because of it's size. It is a tube/fin design as opposed to bar/plate.
It would be nice to see what others clocking at with their IAT2's temps in real life street use and at WOT with their aftermarket Intercoolers just because I always been little bit skeptical of manufacturers numbers.

Kyle Nezat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Wagner and for sure showing charge air temps. Also changed thermostat to 170 just change it out and don’t worry after that is my recomendation

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It would be nice to see what others clocking at with their IAT2's temps in real life street use and at WOT with their aftermarket Intercoolers just because I always been little bit skeptical of manufacturers numbers.
The only value that really means anything is a WOT pull as that is when airflow is at maximum. IAT2 jumps way high with closed throttle so anywhere in between off throttle and WOT is sort of grey area.