Air intake box difference 3.5 & 2.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So based on my research I can find no difference between the factory air box used on the 3.5 and 2.7 ecoboost. What I find interesting is that many aftermarket intakes list theirs as cross compatible while others list them seperate between the 2 models with different part numbers for each. For instance the COBB has their intake, more specifically the carbon fiber redline edition listed at almost $200 cheaper for the 2.7L. Maybe someone can confirm a difference that I am not seeing here or is this an attempt by aftermarket companies to charge more. Maybe @FordTechOne can shed some light here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@thatJeepguy That’s what I am thinking, crazy thing is is that Cobb has the intake assembly under the 2.7 on sale for $375, yet what I am assuming is the same intake for the 3.5L on sale for $550.Its insane to me that they would be selling the same exact product for two drastically different prices and essentially ripping people off simply based on a different overall motor. Like I said maybe I am missing something.

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@thatJeepguy That’s what I am thinking, crazy thing is is that Cobb has the intake assembly under the 2.7 on sale for $375, yet what I am assuming is the same intake for the 3.5L on sale for $550.Its insane to me that they would be selling the same exact product for two drastically different prices and essentially ripping people off simply based on a different overall motor. Like I said maybe I am missing something.
Huge waste of $$ imo.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huge waste of $$ imo.
I have an intake already that came on my truck, it’s an open element type that I am not a huge fan of, want something enclosed. But I agree that outside of noise, really no gains are to be had.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't unique. Back in 2011 when I was looking at intakes for my 6.2L GEN1, I went to the Ford Parts site and compared all of the intake parts for all of the F-150 engines available in that model year. I was rather surprised to learn that all of the part numbers were the same across all F-150 engines except one. I concluded that Ford was more interested in manufacturing efficiency in the factory than it was with performance and economy out on the road.