Installed My Ford Performance Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not worried about affecting warranty, I have an 8/125k mile ESP.

Have had lots of warranty completed.
Obviously it doesn't void your warranty. But if you have a major engine issue, I wouldn't bet against your mods being used as a reason to not cover an engine issue and make a big hassle. Personally, I don't think that's a bet worth making. that's what I liked about the FP catch can.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Obviously it doesn't void your warranty. But if you have a major engine issue, I wouldn't bet against your mods being used as a reason to not cover an engine issue and make a big hassle. Personally, I don't think that's a bet worth making. that's what I liked about the FP catch can.
It probably could cause a hassle, I don't think they'd give me any trouble on a cam phaser issue should I ever have that problem.

A mechanic at that dealership did mention it could be an issue depending on engine issue and that if I'd ever have an engine issue that I might want to reinstall the stock intake tube.

I'd fight it if I believe the simple modification didn't cause it. To be honest, I didn't like drilling a hole in my intake tube but it is what it is.

I believe these are great engines overall and change my oil every 5,000 miles or yearly whichever comes first since I'm retired.

In shop right now to reseal the leaking timing cover, replace the the valve cover and rebuild the vct valve body in the transmission. Might not have stated that last part exactly correct but there was a TSB on it they told me.

Had them change out the front, rear differentials and transfer case fluids and do an emissions test while they have it. I was planning on doing that myself but it'll be completed and I won't have to crawl under the truck.

I wish I had a garage.

Transmission, lines and cooler were replaced with new at 27,000 miles.

I do drive it easy for the most part usually Mark Twain roads and a little off roading, no burnouts or any crap like that.

Now I don't think I should be experiencing these issues on a well taken care of low milage truck but any vehicle can have its issues.

I'm retired now and only have 37,*** miles on it and still in love with it even with the minor issues and one major issue it's had since new.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It probably could cause a hassle, I don't think they'd give me any trouble on a cam phaser issue should I ever have that problem.

A mechanic at that dealership did mention it could be an issue depending on engine issue and that if I'd ever have an engine issue that I might want to reinstall the stock intake tube.

I'd fight it if I believe the simple modification didn't cause it. To be honest, I didn't like drilling a hole in my intake tube but it is what it is.

I believe these are great engines overall and change my oil every 5,000 miles or yearly whichever comes first since I'm retired.

In shop right now to reseal the leaking timing cover, replace the the valve cover and rebuild the vct valve body in the transmission. Might not have stated that last part exactly correct but there was a TSB on it they told me.

Had them change out the front, rear differentials and transfer case fluids and do an emissions test while they have it. I was planning on doing that myself but it'll be completed and I won't have to crawl under the truck.

I wish I had a garage.

Transmission, lines and cooler were replaced with new at 27,000 miles.

I do drive it easy for the most part usually Mark Twain roads and a little off roading, no burnouts or any crap like that.

Now I don't think I should be experiencing these issues on a well taken care of low milage truck but any vehicle can have its issues.

I'm retired now and only have 37,*** miles on it and still in love with it even with the minor issues and one major issue it's had since new.
I'm in pretty much the same position. I'm trying to play it safe so I don't get caught in the middle. My dealer has treated me REALLY well so far. I'd hate to get in a hassle with them if at all possible. On your can, does the drivers side install between the intake tube a little above the turbo and the valve cover?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I'm in pretty much the same position. I'm trying to play it safe so I don't get caught in the middle. My dealer has treated me REALLY well so far. I'd hate to get in a hassle with them if at all possible. On your can, does the drivers side install between the intake tube a little above the turbo and the valve cover?
Here's a video that I followed to install mine.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious why Ford makes them for the Gen2 but I don't see one for the Gen3. Nothing changed in the engine to my understand that would cause them not to provide to one Gen but not the other.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Curious why Ford makes them for the Gen2 but I don't see one for the Gen3. Nothing changed in the engine to my understand that would cause them not to provide to one Gen but not the other.

Don't remember if it was in this thread or in the one below but the Gen 3 have something in the way. People have made it fit but I'm sure that Ford will have one out for the Gen 3s soon.

Thread 'Ford Performance Catch Can' https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/ford-performance-catch-can.97987/

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see any advantage to the Ford unit. It's more expensive and appears to be a pain to install compared to the JLT Oil Separator. It's also much more difficult to empty. I can speak from experience that the JLT unit does a good job separating oil and it's easy to empty at each oil change. Just another area where Ford should include a separator as standard equipment.