Installed My Ford Performance Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting take on why not to install one. Thoughts?

Load of crap. Filtering the entire crankcase through a water separator is far more restrictive than an actual catch can, flow 90 psi on an air compressor is going to be impeded far less than 1-2 psi from a crankcase. If what he is saying was true, there wouldn't already be baffling inside the valve covers to help separate oil. Lots of modern engines have fairly complex baffle systems in their valve covers and they are not short systems. The baffling does a good job of removing oil from the vapor and keeping the oil in the engine, but adding a catch can allows for the fuel/water diluted vapors (and any oil that makes it past the valve cover baffles) to be removed from the engine. The main reason catch cans aren't a factory installed part is mainly because of cost and keeping the vehicle dummy proof, because most average owners would have no clue what the can does or that it needs to be emptied.

Catch cans have been proven multiple times over to be beneficial to engines. I don't know how or if that changes for diesel stuff (not having a throttle plate changes a lot of functions) but for gas engines it's absolutely a good idea to have one.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Load of crap. Filtering the entire crankcase through a water separator is far more restrictive than an actual catch can, flow 90 psi on an air compressor is going to be impeded far less than 1-2 psi from a crankcase. If what he is saying was true, there wouldn't already be baffling inside the valve covers to help separate oil. Lots of modern engines have fairly complex baffle systems in their valve covers and they are not short systems. The baffling does a good job of removing oil from the vapor and keeping the oil in the engine, but adding a catch can allows for the fuel/water diluted vapors (and any oil that makes it past the valve cover baffles) to be removed from the engine. The main reason catch cans aren't a factory installed part is mainly because of cost and keeping the vehicle dummy proof, because most average owners would have no clue what the can does or that it needs to be emptied.

Catch cans have been proven multiple times over to be beneficial to engines. I don't know how or if that changes for diesel stuff (not having a throttle plate changes a lot of functions) but for gas engines it's absolutely a good idea to have one.
Agree 100% and run a JLT on my Truck and have on my Mustangs and especially all my boosted Mustangs. I've just never heard anyone bring up the point of restriction of the air flow and how that could degrade your engine faster. But that he use that air/water seperator instead of a catch can to prove his point was dumb. I bet it wouldn't do that had he used the OCC.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be cool if the AOS drained the oil back into the crankcase. Any water would get evaporated as soon as it went back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter