If it was your money... Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timekeeper

Reaction score
Both generations of truck are "all dressed up with no place to go" in my opinion. They are nothing more than Mall Crawlers for 95% of people who own them. Same thing with the Jeep guys. It's a lot of flexing in the mirror.

They get decked out with LED light kits and bumpers to take on those rough mall parking lots. You know it's true....come on....

Either is fine for crawling those malls:)

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen1. They hold their value better and sound ..... fill in the blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here owned both generation long enough to give a non biased opinion?

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both generations of truck are "all dressed up with no place to go" in my opinion. They are nothing more than Mall Crawlers for 95% of people who own them. Same thing with the Jeep guys. It's a lot of flexing in the mirror.

They get decked out with LED light kits and bumpers to take on those rough mall parking lots. You know it's true....come on....

Either is fine for crawling those malls:)

Lol, it is true. I keep trying to talk myself into a Gen 2. But I feel the same way as you. It’s the Jeep effect... except they’re dudes that came from a Mercedes-Benz SUV (Not all of you, settle down!). They still had to have the luxury, BUT they had to have a truck for whatever reason and the more modern Gen 2 fits.

OP
OP
TannerK17

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here owned both generation long enough to give a non biased opinion?
That’s what I’m looking for at this point as well. It seems that most guys regret the decision to remove or sell their Gen 1 because they like the planted/heavy truck feel (I’d assume). I personally, after owning an aluminum bodied F-150, can admit my prior model year Ford’s felt different. They felt like a truck and the fit and finish of the items down to the way the doors close feel truly more solid and unified in a sense. Maybe not as refined in the systems and features obviously, but that can be changed. I feel like the Gen 2 would feel almost too sporty and light on it’s feet at times and I believe that’s the hang up for the more traditional type guys.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably a Gen 2.

3.5TT bickering aside it's lighter, better stock suspension, interior is newer/nicer better tech etc...

I like both trucks. If I didn't find this 14 Ruby Red with "low" miles I may of waited for a reasonable used Gen 2 to pop up.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are leaving it stock and only going to own it for a few years, Gen 2. They are slow stock but definitely less slow than a Gen 1 and they have more suspension.

If you want to keep it long term and build it, Gen 1. Especially if you want more power. The Ecoboost is much closer to being tapped out from the factory. To date, no one has been able to really make a lot more power with one without swapping it for a 5.0 or building the bottom end. I only know of one truck in the upper 500 whp range that still hasn't been opened up but it's a brand new build. I certainly hope it lasts but only time will tell.

Some of us are curious what will happen with a Gen 2 with a Ford GT motor swap but so far no one has been able to get any of those parts. I also imagine they will be expensive if they do become available.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
How much more tech is there really in a Gen 2 than a Gen 1, if you exclude the motor? Yeah, the EPAS is certainly a valid point, as are the Live Valve shocks in 19+ (but those can be replaced/disabled).

And note that when I say "tech", I mean overcomplex crap that breaks or can't be easily modified.

Sync 3 is certainly more advanced than Sync 1 or 2, but Sync 3 actually appears to be a somewhat robust design, whereas v1 and v2 are the miserable and spectacularly unreliable failure that is Windows Embedded Automotive. If I were buying Gen1 today I'd do a 13/14 and immediately do the Sync 3 retrofit.

Heated steering wheel isn't exactly rocket science.

Sunroof is a shit design in the Gen2, and was a shit design in the Gen1. It's just now a giant *************.

Both have big displays in the dash. Gen 2 is bigger in 802A but it's the exact same thing.

The early-autonomous-tech (adaptive cruise, useless lane keeping) might be an issue down the road, but think people have disabled that successfully. Doesn't seem to be a failure point from what I read here.

The 4G modem and FordPass crApp are easily disabled. I mechanically declined their privacy policy on day #1 with my gen2 (pulled 4G modem fuse).

I had my Gen1 for 9 years and absolutely loved it. Only had the Gen2 for 3 months...so far the same feeling. I did get the 7/100 warranty on the Gen2, but in retrospect I would've done the same for the Gen1.

All that said, don't think you'll go wrong either way.