If it was your money... Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You want reliability? Get the Gen 1. The 6.2L and 6 speed has been 100% proven out by a million Superduties running around with the same drivetrain.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
gen 2 all day long. gen 1 (no offense) is a model T compared to the gen 2 in terms of technology. people keep putting value on 2 extra cylinders with way less power and more weight. I have no idea why.

In any way you can think to measure, the Gen 2 is a better trucks. As it should be.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Somewhat stock! It will be mixed between the highway and Offroad with some city driving mixed in so it doesn’t have to be linked or have long travel, or really anything crazy done to it motor wise.

A Gen 1 would probably get a very mild tune with headers to open it up a little bit. A Gen 2 would probably get some similar mods to keep it breathing right (Down pipes, Intercooler, thermostat) and reliable for the long run. Suspension work on either would come down the line after I work the kinks out and find out what works best for what I need Offroad and On-Road.

I have to agree on the electronics aspect. While I like the tech and having the new and updated stuff, Sync 3 makes me content for the interior. The amount of sensors and small electronic items doesn’t make me comfortable on the Gen 2 when hunting in the middle of no where.

I've learned an awful lot about how far you can take these trucks. There is a "cliff" so to speak on the gen 2s.

What do I mean? Well, the "Cliff" I speak of is when a singular mod gets wildly expensive. The convenience of the electronics will get in the way of seriously hardcore modifications.

Let me explain:

Steering rack:

On the gen1:

Pros: it is a traditional power steering setup. there are plenty of upgrades available. You can switch to swingset steering without any issue.
Cons: Bleeding power steering systems sucks. The fluid is messy. Hoses leak. Have to keep up on maintenance.

Gen2:

Pros: EPAS unit. Multiple steering ratios/assist levels programmed with "mode selection." No fluid to deal with. Swapping a steering rack is 8 bolts and takes about 20 minutes.

Cons: You need to carry a $1,000 truck programmer around to re-initialize and calibrate a new steering rack. If you want to go swingset, you have to trick the computer into thinking that the EPAS unit is still there, retrofit a pump and box to the EcoBoost and hope the drive modes still work.

The list kind of goes on and on. If you want to go past the "bolt-on" level of desert truck building, The gen2 raptor is more complicated than any other option. (and that includes doing a full luxo build of an f-150 and making it look like a raptor.)

As the truck ages, you'll want to change things. The gen2 will make that very difficult.

On a gen1, even swapping to a different motor like an LS doesn't really create a challenge.

On the gen 2, doing a motor swap will mean one of two things: a VERY expensive signal translation computer that requires a tech from the manufacturing company to fly here from Australia to map out all of the signal inputs and outputs, OR Rewire the entire truck so that it no longer requires the ford factory BCM/PCM/TCM to operate. ( and this includes having to rewire stuff like the windows and door locks).

Let's talk cages: Guess what? I have found exactly TWO shops that are willing to cage an aluminum cab raptor. One shop quoted $35K, The other ( which is where my truck will be going shortly) quoted $16K. Most shops aren't comfortable doing the aluminum cab truck cage because there is not a whole lot of data around the best way to sandwich the steel cage to the aluminum cab. On a gen1, both are steel. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Most competent off-road shops will be happy to do the cage for you. The prices that I tend to see for these are 7-10K.

So, My $.02 ( and take it for what it is worth) is that if you feel like you might have an appetite to eventually do things like a cage, and a 4 link rear, or swingset steering, or want real lockers, or a motor swap, or a different transmission do yourself a solid and go Gen1.

Fordtech is right, ford made the gen2 a lot better truck stock for stock. The frame strength and geometry and way more awesome. The cab strength is leaps and bounds better. The motor pulls harder, the truck can do more and it is much better at being your nanny so you don't *** it up.

BUT, all of that intelligence and usability comes at the expense of being able to easily modify the truck into a true desert eating machine.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
gen 2 all day long. gen 1 (no offense) is a model T compared to the gen 2 in terms of technology. people keep putting value on 2 extra cylinders with way less power and more weight. I have no idea why.

In any way you can think to measure, the Gen 2 is a better trucks. As it should be.

Have you actually sat in a loaded 13/14 Raptor?

You've never drove, ridden, or even sat in what you are calling a 'Model T', right?

I've spent plenty of time in my Gen 1 and plenty of time in 15+ trucks including a 17 Raptor. I just don't see the big improvement you think is there. The vents totally suck in the new ones, and the dash is warped in a lot of them. The AC seats don't work on your back in the 15+ trucks. The 15+ dash surface does look better, because it has a nicer grain. Otherwise- it's all meh. Same size info screen.

If you want all the adaptive cruise, lane keeping etc, only the Gen 2s have that.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've driven both and I had no issues with the 10 speeds I drove, but they definitely shifted a lot more, as you would expect.

I'd still love to see what the 6.2L would do in a Gen 2 truck, with the lighter weight and better gearing. I think if the 3.5L TT was in the heavier 6 speed Gen 1 and the 6.2L V8 was in the lighter 10 speed Gen 2, things would be pretty similar performance wise.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you actually sat in a loaded 13/14 Raptor?

For the record. Yes.

the gen2 raptor did to the gen1 raptors what the 6th gen mustangs did to the 5th gen mustangs in 2015.

Made them look old when compared side by side. It is what a car company is supposed to do. I am sure that a 3rd gen raptor will make the gen2 look old when the time comes. But as of today, there is no way I would buy a gen1 when a gen2 is a viable option right next to it.

I am not saying there are not nice gen1 raptors out there. but to the OP's question. gen2 all day long.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you are going to be keeping this long term, and then turning it into a hunting rig? Gen 1 every day. I don't really see the durability in the Gen 2 platform to last. Guarranteed in 20 years, the Gen 1 will be worth more than the Gen 2. Im calling it now.

The Gen one is a naturally aspirated, ford endorsed, bulletproof motor. Yes the body is steel, but being in Nevada, you wont see much salt and therefore rust will be no issue. Yes, the technology is a little less than the Gen 2, but, did you buy a Raptor for the tech? No, you bought it to Mob around the desert. Yes less travel, however, I beat the shit out of mine, and when I feel the need for better suspension, (starting to show) Ill buy Kings or Foxes. You want more power, buy a supercharger. The fact of the matter is, Its a simple, easily repairable, durable do everything truck that will stay valuable.

The Gen 2 is one hell of a beautiful truck. However, look at the problems associated with the truck. The forum is drowning in it. Yes, the Gen 1 had issues, (driveshaft, suspension clunk, Rust, Re flashing of ecm, ect) However, drainage bolts, IWE issues (which I think is more of a power limit on the technology,) Cam Phasers, Turbos, and downright engine replacements have given me the "what a *************" image for the truck. I do love the truck design, but, I cant consciously say I like the motor. You think a 450hp, twin turbo motor is going to last 15 years? I didn't think so either. Factor in Many of the guys online are actually beginning to collapse their beds and Its looking pretty self explanatory to me.

You are the only one that can answer the real question, both are nice trucks, but I do really think the Gen 1 will last longer.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the record. Yes.

the gen2 raptor did to the gen1 raptors what the 6th gen mustangs did to the 5th gen mustangs in 2015.

Made them look old when compared side by side. It is what a car company is supposed to do. I am sure that a 3rd gen raptor will make the gen2 look old when the time comes. But as of today, there is no way I would buy a gen1 when a gen2 is a viable option right next to it.

I am not saying there are not nice gen1 raptors out there. but to the OP's question. gen2 all day long.

Meh- that's your opinion. I think the Gen 2 Raptors look high waisted with the tiny rear bumper and the low bedsides. The front looks like everything else on the road with the huge catfish mouth grille. I also greatly prefer the looks of the HID 13/14 projectors over the LED stuff the new ones have.

The Gen 1 is timeless. The Gen 2 is trendy and will be easily tied to the late 2010s with the "copy everything else on the road aggro styling".

I also think the 2015 Mustang is totally MEH looks wise compared to the 2014 model. The rear end is nice, but the front is is terrible. It has the same huge catfish grille as the Raptor, all Lexi, all Hyundai, all Audis, etc...

Your perception is not reality for everyone.