If it was your money... Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Slow and steady wins the race? Where's the fun in that?

It's a well known fact that all Gen 1 owners secretly wish they had a Gen 2, and that their wife would loose about 20 lbs.

I kid, I kid..:)

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GEN 1 gets my vote...I've had mine for almost exactly 1 year now...2nd owner...50K..and Im still grinning every time I get in it...or even look at it for that matter.......I sold my Tacoma 4x4 to buy it....and no way you can even compare the Tacoma or Tundra...Tacoma was a nice riding truck,but cant compare to the Raptor....AND..if you can find a Supercharged one...all the better...;)..if you like to go fast....

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gen 2 is the faster, lighter more capable truck stock for stock.

The gen 1 is more than I can realistically handle in the desert, as hard as I might try (and I have the body work receipts to prove it). You can assume I am a bad driver if that strokes your ego.

The 6.2l IS the better engine for me. No it doesn't make as much power, has less area under the curve, doesn't gain as much power from a tune, gets worse mileage and won't beat an ecoboost in a drag race. But the way the power is delivered, the way it sounds, the way it reacts to my inputs is much more pleasing and charismatic than an ecoboost. It sounds good all the time and makes the truck feel alive, for me that is the number 1 difference. The ecoboost felt like an engine in a truck, the 6.2l raptor feels like a living, breathing soulful machine that is empathetic to me and my needs at the moment.

I love my ridiculous molten orange paint, and bright orange interior trim. It makes me happy every time I am in it. Easy to find in parking lots and people on the road seem to acknowledge the presence. It makes me happy to be in it, even if I am commuting in ******** Denver traffic. There is no technology to worry about dating out, and the low output pig iron engine will last for a million years. If it doesn't I will go get a super duty engine out of the junkyard for a few bills, swap whats needed over and replace it in a weekend.

The gen 1 is an SVT platform, not a trim package pickup. For the difference in price you could supercharge the Gen 1, upgrade the shocks, throw on some bump stops and go tear it up, not that you need to. Anyone who says the gen 1 isn't enough off road has either never taken one off road or probably, is lying about their skills. I am part of the crowd that believes the gen 1 is going to hold price a lot better. I find the seats more comfortable, and the interior is plenty nice for me. I had a heavily modified, tuned ecoboost and I just never loved it. I love the 6.2l so much the only things I have done to the engine are an exhaust and a very mild tune, PO put a K&N on it and I would take it back to stock if I had the parts.

Last edited: