Icon Springs on 3rd setting with MASSIVE rake ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock shackles. Would it make it better if I got aftermarket ones? I see RPG has some that give 2" more droop but also lower the truck by an inch?
thats up to you. i think it will depend on how it looks after the springs settle. then make that descision. i just had my springs re arched yesterday. also had a leaf added so now its a 12 leaf pack. it sits about 4" higher than it did before, but my truck sat a little low so im happy with how it is right now. it will probably settle down another inch or so and that will be perfect height for me. im heading out on a 6 hour drive to do an install so that will give it the miles needed to settle.

T

teeoster

I put the geisers up front and icons on #2 setup. After 6 months and some trailer towing I think the rear ended up a little low. When I get the ambition yp I'm going to add the last leaf in to get to the + 3.

To be honest I think the geisers up front are a bit too stiff. When going over drop off type bumps you can feel the front shocks smack full extension.

I knew going with this setup was going have a slight negative effect on suspension performance but to me the looks along with the Toyo MT's is totally worth it.15878313603834659505897502955357.jpg

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Deaver said I needed something more than their HD springs (so I would need something custom) and Icon said option 3.
Out of curiosity, why do you need more than the HD springs? Are you trying to haul/tow something really heavy?

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do you need more than the HD springs? Are you trying to haul/tow something really heavy?

I run a Cap, RTT, double fridge, and a drawer system 100% of the time. When you add in everyting else we take when camping plus another 160 pounds of dogs, it starts to add up. We've also been toying with the idea of getting a small trailer. Deaver said the normal HD springs wouldn't hold up to that.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the geisers up front and icons on #2 setup. After 6 months and some trailer towing I think the rear ended up a little low. When I get the ambition yp I'm going to add the last leaf in to get to the + 3.

To be honest I think the geisers up front are a bit too stiff. When going over drop off type bumps you can feel the front shocks smack full extension.

I knew going with this setup was going have a slight negative effect on suspension performance but to me the looks along with the Toyo MT's is totally worth it.View attachment 142298

Thanks for the input. Why'd you go with Geiser over something like Eibach?

T

teeoster

I seen that the geisers were progressive rate, I wasn't sure about any of the others. They achieve the progressive rate characteristics by actually having to wire the spring is wound from get thinner towards the one end. I think they could have made more of the spring have the thinner wire and got them to be s little plusher. It would just be my preference but probably not everyones.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I get something like the RPG or KHC shackles to lower the truck by an inch, is there any downside associated with that? I'm never planning to do any desert running to take this thing off any jumps but I go down many fire roads here in PNW and do occasionally crawl over some suspect terrain ...

D

Deleted member 17706

I run a Cap, RTT, double fridge, and a drawer system 100% of the time. When you add in everyting else we take when camping plus another 160 pounds of dogs, it starts to add up. We've also been toying with the idea of getting a small trailer. Deaver said the normal HD springs wouldn't hold up to that.

Have you weighed your truck? I am curious how much weight you have on the rear end. Deaver is right that the standard +3 HD leaf spring won’t handle the weight that you are running, but did they not mention to you that they can custom arch the springs for an explicit weight? I ran Deaver +3 HD and had them custom arched for 500 lbs. My understanding was that Deaver could custom arch them at an even higher weight than that. I imagine you got to be over 1000lbs pretty easy when your fridges are full and you have dogs in the back. The road feel is better to me with the Deavers than with the ICONS.

What storage system are you using?

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you weighed your truck? I am curious how much weight you have on the rear end. Deaver is right that the standard +3 HD leaf spring won’t handle the weight that you are running, but did they not mention to you that they can custom arch the springs for an explicit weight? I ran Deaver +3 HD and had them custom arched for 500 lbs. My understanding was that Deaver could custom arch them at an even higher weight than that. I imagine you got to be over 1000lbs pretty easy when your fridges are full and you have dogs in the back. The road feel is better to me with the Deavers than with the ICONS.

What storage system are you using?

I had it weighed at one point a few months ago when I went to drop off some trash. I should get it done again but I swear it was around 6900/7000 pounds and that had the tent and fridge out of the car. I should take it back to the scrapyard just to drive over the scales haha.

Had no clue about the "custom arching". Water over the dam at this point. I'm happy with the Icons and I think they're a fine product so I'm not sore about it at all. The road feel is already better for me but my stock springs had basically gone flat/inverted. It was pretty useless.

Using a Decked system.

D

Deleted member 17706

So if I get something like the RPG or KHC shackles to lower the truck by an inch, is there any downside associated with that? I'm never planning to do any desert running to take this thing off any jumps but I go down many fire roads here in PNW and do occasionally crawl over some suspect terrain ...

RPG’s new billet shackles only work with Deavers (from what I was told). And I am not sure if you really need to use shackles given all the weight that you have in the rear end. I mean do you really want to lower it an inch more?

Your topper and rack probably weigh at least 200 lbs

Decked systems weigh 220 lbs (before you stick any gear inside)

RTT is probably another 200 lbs at the minimum

Plus two fridges

By my calculations, you have to be at least over 800 lbs with all your gear (not including your dogs and your fridges being full). So based on the information that @RDFTS provided, you should only be at a 0.5” taller than stock with a 850 lb constant load. If you run shackles with that kind of weight, you are going to run the risk of having the opposite problem: your front end is going to sit much higher than your rear depending on what front set up you go with.

Lol I would get your truck weighed when you have everything in there where you can know for sure what your weight is.

1294F150-C9D2-4A82-B0EA-5B42DFF85F4E.jpeg