Hp/Tq numbers with mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't read that very carefully. The 200bhp+ gain for that RS7 is on 100 octane and is measured from the factory reported numbers on 91, which are waaaay low for those cars. 4200 pound, awd sedans trapping 120+ mph in the quarter. Please, that is a 600bhp car all day.
The gains on that chart that are applicable to this discussion would be more like 130bhp gain. That is the Stage 2 tune plus their downpipes on 93 vs. stock on 93. Factor in the APR exaggeration correction factor (they love taking the best run out of 5, not an average) and you are probably around 100 crank. And that is on a pretty exotic 4.0L V8. The heads on those things are works if art and the intake system is incredible, one of the big factors separating it from its lesser S6 bretheren.
I could sit here all day and pontificate on the RS6 but what the hell does that have to do with a 3.5L Ford engine? Not much I suppose.
I just want to be the voice of reason and remind you practice a bit of expectation management.

Haha. Right. Did I compare it to the ecoboost? Or maybe you struggle a bit with reading comprehension? There ARE platforms where people get those kinds of numbers out of cars with turbos. Some platforms are way over built and detuned so they are reliable. I strictly said you can get an extra 200hp out of some platforms with a tune and a downpipe. THAT is accurate. And THAT is exactly what I said. And to top that off I'm 100% against the ecoboost but I'm willing to bet this motor is over engineered a bit to try and make it as bulletproof as possible knowing that tuning companies are going to tune the shit out of them and the trucks will get molested like crazy. Ford isn't stupid and I am sure they have had their fair share of test mules out running around tuned well beyond the 450hp mark just to see how durable the engine is as well as the rest of the drivetrain. Time will tell but I'm willing to bet this engine has more potential than the previous 3.5L ecoboost. I'm sure the GT has crazy potential as well. Nobody knows yet but to say it's not possible is ignorant.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great info, thanks combatninja!

Yeah, the breaks are awful IMO. I'll definitely be upgrading breaks before the engine.

Brakes are tough on these trucks. I settled on a set of super duty brake pads when I did my engine because I didn't feel like dropping $10k on an Alcon system. I've heard prices have come down a little since then, though.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows yet but to say it's not possible is ignorant.

Naw man, I know. And it ain't possible.

Just to reiterate, nobody who wants their factory turbos to last more than 9 minutes is going to see 200bhp out of a tune and downpipe on a 2017 Raptor. Made by Ford. With a 3.5L biturbo V6. Oh, this is on Earth. Our home planet. So like not in space.

Hopefully that is enough disclaimers for Trimmell the sh!thouse lawyer.

I come to this forum because I am intrigued by the new platform for the Gen2 and I made an honest effort to contribute. What have you brought to this thread aside from a ridiculous reference to an imaginary dyno of a $100,000 German super sedan with a V8 and two bespoke turbochargers? Thanks for that, we all benefitted greatly from it.
If you are so anti-Gen2, then kindly see yourself out.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw man, I know. And it ain't possible.

Just to reiterate, nobody who wants their factory turbos to last more than 9 minutes is going to see 200bhp out of a tune and downpipe on a 2017 Raptor. Made by Ford. With a 3.5L biturbo V6. Oh, this is on Earth. Our home planet. So like not in space.

Hopefully that is enough disclaimers for Trimmell the sh!thouse lawyer.

I come to this forum because I am intrigued by the new platform for the Gen2 and I made an honest effort to contribute. What have you brought to this thread aside from a ridiculous reference to an imaginary dyno of a $100,000 German super sedan with a V8 and two bespoke turbochargers? Thanks for that, we all benefitted greatly from it.
If you are so anti-Gen2, then kindly see yourself out.

Lol such a cool guy. Back with that bad reading comprehension thing again. I said I am against the ecoboost. Not the Gen 2. As I have previously said the Gen 2 is a badass truck.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol...so back to Horsepower and torque!

I would be interested to see if the stock turbos really do run at 18 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Better yet....what would be a good replacement turbo?

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/f-150/2017/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-first-test-velocity-raptor/

That is from MotorTrend so pretty reliable. I saw many reiterations of that 18psi figure in my searches. Always brought up in terms of what was changed from the garden variety ecoboost (port and direct injection, oil squirters, different pistons, different block, larger turbos, 18psi as opppsed to 16psi, etc).

I imagine there will be a plethora of tuning options ranging from a simple, super-conservative tune to full-on turbo swaps with Garrett stuff. GT28 family was always the way to go with the KO4 Audi stuff once you found the limit of even modded factory turbos. There will be a middle ground of course in the form of modified factory stuff, clipped compressor wheels, ported inlets, etc. Looking at the prices of even Ford factory KO3s, I'm certain nobody is going to start grabbing the KO4-based German OEM stuff, like RS6 turbos and such. Waaaay too expensive. The Ford stuff is almost laughably cheap to me. That's what 20 years of assing around with German cars will do to you.
The real issue in the short term is figuring out how much torque that 10-gearbox can hold. Cause these motors will be slinging out plenty.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting.

I know it's for a different application, engine etc but I remember 18psi(on eaton/KB/Whipple) being the safe limit for my GT500/Lightning for pump gas.

Now obviously that does not mean the 3.5L TT in the Raptor is limited to that at all, but I wonder what the limit will be for the stock turbos boost wise.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compressor housing puts the useful ceiling at 22psi for a KO4.
That is of course assuming that is the turbo we have here. Anybody with a truck able to find that manufacturer plate on the compressor side with the p/n on it?

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone pull out their mirror and let's put this to bed!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter