Hp/Tq numbers with mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dual 2.5" coming out of a 3.5L with baby turbos? 2.5" would support 700whp on a less efficient platform, I don't think it comes out of the turbo at 2.5" but I'm pretty sure the tips are at least 5! :)

I agree, you don't want belackpressure after the turbo and you don't want too much drive pressure in front of it... a nice dump after the turbo to the side of the truck would be real nice.

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see anyone outflowing dual 3" pipes - ever - but if you can eliminate the cats, and a few feet of pipe, you could see some drastic improvements.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 550whp from tune, intake, downpipes. And over 650wtq. Look at what SSI has done with a tune only truck with a GEN1 eco - over 430whp/600wtq

I really think the combination of DI and MPI along with the larger turbos is really going to take these truck to the next level.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching for tech data that lists the exhaust diameter but came up dry. But in this video, they have a Raptor with the body removed and I'll be damned if that exhaust doesn't look huge. I agree that it looks like dual 3". Sometimes the camera can play tricks but it is safe to say that the OEM piping diameter will not be a restriction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdewOFPiPkk

As mentioned previously, downpipes are the more likely exhaust bottleneck.

Let's hope this platform keeps revealing more and more overbuilt hardware as we tear into it. Fingers crossed that the factory intercooler has as much headroom as this exhaust seems to. Given the anticipated duty cycle of an offroad full-size pickup, I'm betting on it.

It would be great if an owner could bolt on a pair of worked KO4s, downpipes and a good tune and have a solid 650bhp. That is my rough goal with the truck and it would be nice to save the $3,000 or so that a new IC and exhaust would cost. It may even be possible to gut the stock downpipes and run some O2 simulators for a cheap solution there. Time will tell once owners start getting bored with the truck in stock form...

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

3 inch exhaust with 4.5 inch tips.

You personally verified this or did you come across it in print somewhere?

Hoping you have a truck and it is an actual measurement.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
I don't see anyone outflowing dual 3" pipes - ever - but if you can eliminate the cats, and a few feet of pipe, you could see some drastic improvements.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 550whp from tune, intake, downpipes. And over 650wtq. Look at what SSI has done with a tune only truck with a GEN1 eco - over 430whp/600wtq

I really think the combination of DI and MPI along with the larger turbos is really going to take these truck to the next level.

Be very,very, very carefull with SSI.... do your research on them with regard to tuning ecoboost trucks. Their tune was way too much for the ecoboost and they blew up quite a few of them. I know all tunes have that risk, but SSI has a very bad reputation across the ecoboost community.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 550whp from tune, intake, downpipes. And over 650wtq.

Whoa there. 550 wheel would be in the 675-700 crank range. You are not going to see that out of stock turbos. At least not for long. Be careful taking results from the most aggressive early ecoboost tune and extrapolating those results to this platform.

Jack_Toepfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa there. 550 wheel would be in the 675-700 crank range. You are not going to see that out of stock turbos. At least not for long. Be careful taking results from the most aggressive early ecoboost tune and extrapolating those results to this platform.

There are no guarantees - ever - once you start playing with these things. That is why they void your warranty. That is why no tuner warranties your truck with their tunes. I'm familiar with SSI's reputation, but I also know they make a ton of power and make fast trucks. The Ecoboost guys either love them or hate them, pick your side.

That doesn't change the fact that the parts on this truck, with a little help, couldn't significantly outperform the Gen1 platform. If you guys want your parts to last, park the truck and enjoy the view. If you want to see how much power they're going to make, someone is going to have to light the fuse.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are no guarantees - ever - once you start playing with these things. That is why they void your warranty. That is why no tuner warranties your truck with their tunes. I'm familiar with SSI's reputation, but I also know they make a ton of power and make fast trucks. The Ecoboost guys either love them or hate them, pick your side.

That doesn't change the fact that the parts on this truck, with a little help, couldn't significantly outperform the Gen1 platform. If you guys want your parts to last, park the truck and enjoy the view. If you want to see how much power they're going to make, someone is going to have to light the fuse.

5 star tuning offers optional warranty with their tunes