Hp/Tq numbers with mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You aren't gaining 200hp with a downpipe and a tune.

F150 FreakOBoost Twin EFR Turbo Kit – Full Race

^^^ that's what it took to break 500hp in a gen 1 f150 eco.

Gen 2 HO eco has larger turbo's, etc etc, probably looking at 120-150 with fairly easy upgrades (charge piping, intercooler, tune, downpipe). More if you throw in tubular manifolds, ported hot side, etc.

The numbers are there, but you'll have to pay like everyone else.

Danzio sells an 830hp/600tq eco for 40k but it has lots of custom goodies.

https://www.danzioperformance.com/?page_id=13

Just for reference. You CAN get 200hp from a tune and a new downpipe on some engine platforms. You should look into some of the APR Tunes for some of the Audi's

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_rs6rs7.html

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just for reference. You CAN get 200hp from a tune and a new downpipe on some engine platforms. You should look into some of the APR Tunes for some of the Audi's

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_rs6rs7.html

This thread isn't about Audi's. I said you won't get 200hp with a downpipe and a tune with this ecoboost.

For arguments sake, let's say that those gains were 'normal', which they aren't.

200 / 4 = 50

50 * 3.5 = 175

So if this platform was as good as the RS6, you are looking at 175hp from a tune and DP.

Last edited:

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread isn't about Audi's. I said you won't get 200hp with a downpipe and a tune with this ecoboost.

You never said "with this ecoboost" but ok. 200hp extra is probably possible. New engine, new internals and a good bit of r&d on making sure the engine is overbuilt to survive the 450hp. Don't say it's not possible when you don't know.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You never said "with this ecoboost" but ok. 200hp extra is probably possible. New engine, new internals and a good bit of r&d on making sure the engine is overbuilt to survive the 450hp. Don't say it's not possible when you don't know.

See my above edit.

I didn't need to say 'this engine' when the thread is about 'this engine'. It's implied.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Longtime Audi and BMW driver here that has extensive experience in tuning forced induction platforms both for maximum power and for useable power. I have gotten away from forced induction lately and I am currently enjoying the last gasps of the naturally aspirated engine in a 2015 Porsche 911.
To my point now. I can give you guys a very close number to the tuning potntial of this engine on the stock turbos if someone can tell me what those turbos are. I have scoured the internet and I cannot find any information on what turbo manufacturer or type is used in the Raptor's 3.5 only that it uses "larger" turbos than the regular ecoboost.
The turbos in the normal 3.5 are Borg Warner k03s outputting a maximum of 16 psi stock. Hard data seems hard to come by in the Ford tuning world but the numbers suggest that most tuners are boosting them to about 18 psi peak and tapering to redline. Typical k03 approach, no surprises. Since the 3.5 High Output is listed as 18psi from the factory I am going to go ahead and assert that it is not using k03s, virtually impossible given the engine's octane requirements and the natural "headroom" that an OEM has to build in.
So the question is then, what turbo is it? I suspect Borg Warner k04 but that is just an educated guess from engine size, factory rating and the fact that they are the supplier for the normal ecoboost turbos and some of the fancy TORSEN diffs on the Raptor.
Somebody with a truck needs to get a good picture of the housing of a turbo and the stampings on it and then we can formulate a very, very good estimate of what this engine will be capable of on those turbos.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As much as I like FoMoCo, they aren't building 2jz's, RB26s, VR38s, or any other Asian/Euro tuner powerplant.

The vehicles referenced aren't 5,500-5,800lbs and aren't spinning 35s in the dirt. Completely different load factors. Different requirements for survivability.

Race gas and **** injection is unrealistic for the average guy that wants to go on Raptor runs so we are looking at pump gas numbers at worst, e85 at best.

Lots of folks were swooning over the first gen eco and even with dual injection (custom intake), upgraded turbos, full exhaust, FMIC, piping, and e85, the limit was right at 600rwhp for the stock shortblock (in a Flex) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMsgZgeb4M

most tuners stay closer to 600fwhp with only DI (with ****) and that is still with a decent amount of money spent.

If Danzio has an example putting out 830hp, that is specifically designed to survive off road racing and uses MUCH better guts, it's safe to say the factory shortblock won't survive anywhere near those numbers in a similar environment.

I'm not anti-gen2 in any way, I'm being realistic based on what info is already out there.

Hennessy has a 600hp package out already and in addition to other stuff, they upgraded the turbos - does that mean you need turbos to make 600hp, of course not. I do think it's a pretty good indicator that you need more than a tune and DP for a 200hp gain.

Last edited:

Santiago

Reaction score
Somebody with a truck needs to get a good picture of the housing of a turbo and the stampings on it and then we can formulate a very, very good estimate of what this engine will be capable of on those turbos.

Best I could get without turning the wheels

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 151