How to safely carrying a gun in a gen 2 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I remember an instance were some PD were shot up with an AR and it made quick work of them with an AK47, the bullets went through and through the patrol car, went through the engine block, and all they had was their standard issued 40 cal Glock 22s. It sucked to be them, would not wanted to face that with a Glock lol

Projectile launchers from slings, to compound bows to firearms are force projection weapons. The more effective range the weapon has, the more you are able to project force and “control” an area and / or the people therein. I’m not clear if you mean AR as in AR15 in 5.56 or as assault rifle, but i can speak to the penetrative power of the 2 platforms.

The 5.56 will generally penetrate the soft areas of doors with some energy left, let’s call it inside 100m to be an effective wounding round after going through a door, so long as it does not hit a solid metal piece like the window raising arms, lock mechanism, etc. Those will stop a 5.56 nato cold, and depending on the car, even up to point blank range.

7.62x39 will pierce most automobile doors in the soft areas out to about 250m, and can actually pierce the window track metal inside about 50m, depending on the make/model.

308 win / 7.62x51 will laugh at automobile body work. So will a 500 S&W.

I know all of this first hand. Irony of ironies, one of the toughest test vehicles I’ve shot was an Aries K car.

Windshields are another one that are thought about a lot, a rifle will generally penetrate them pretty easily, but some handgun rounds at range may not penetrate. At 10 yards and under, 9mm, .45, .357, etc. will penetrate head on. All of them will deflect at an angle. shooting into the windshield head on, most 9mm are stopped by the seat back. Some .45 make it through as does some .357.

500 S&W x 275 grain, 350 and 500 grain will penetrate windshield, ballistic gelatin, seat, seat back, rear seat, rear seat back, rear bumper and some amount of earth.
It won’t penetrate an engine block, but, it will crack the block from 10 yards, again, depending on the make, model, etc. I shot a front driver, hit the block, compromised the water jacket with about a fist sized area.

Your mileage may vary.

Obviously, staring down a bad guy with a long gun is a tall order. The good news is, most bad guys aren’t skilled, competent gun handlers.

It’s not bad with a chest rig, it does make quite the muzzle flash, got a buddy with a s&w 500 in .50 with a 2.5” barrel, it is a handful, but if my life depended on it, I guess I win.

I have the 4” 500 and yes... it’s 2 hands full. I took it to the local range’s night shoot October 30. Range staff told me “You win the biggest muzzle flash contest” I was like - great, what’s my prize? They looked at each other and said “our admiration”.

I was hoping for a little more.

Paul Hamilton

SICK DAYS
Reaction score
I have a tactical stock on shotgun that I use a 4 number combo lock to secure it to the metal frame under seat. Easy to get to. I have seen over the years people tearing the hell out of the vehicle to get into the lock box. This may eliminate all that because if you lift the seat you see what you have to deal with.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough or uncomfortable question to ask but really its not.....Look at our nation now, ****** mess!!!!

Im in CA and was curious how other Californians legally carry their guns in their truck?

Id like to be able to secure a shotgun under the rear seat. Anybody done this?

Uncomfortable question? Not sure why that is.

Love all the internet commando's on here though, it's funny.

There is a basic answer to the op's question.

Move the **** out of california if you value your right to carry and protect yourself.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uncomfortable question? Not sure why that is.

Love all the internet commando's on here though, it's funny.

There is a basic answer to the op's question.

Move the **** out of california if you value your right to carry and protect yourself.

GOTSA - TO AGREE WITH THIS RESPONSE.

I'm still here Kalifornia - It is where I make my living - So I can not complain because I choose to live here.
I can only vote and have to suck it up and occasionally verbally abuse and try to educate the Friggin Liberals who are trying to destroy our great nation.
Call it ground zero.
You can all run but if we don't vote, try to educate, un-indoctrinate our youth and try- try to be heard, the battle for what is left of our Constitution and our Country will be lost.
5 more years until I can re-tansplant myself to an area full of Humans who are still able to think for themselves.

Sanco

Reaction score
I cringe at the idea of weapons being inside a vehicle any longer than basic transport time. I don't see the advantage in the SHTF scenario over a basic pistol being carried on you. The truck itself will be more of an effective weapon than anything inside a locked box, under the rear seat.

Your primary objective in a vehicle should be to get the hell out of the area and not look for a rifle to make your last stand.

Pulling out your shotgun or a rifle as a scare tactic, when an option to drive away is there, is a terrible idea.

desertfox73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what the California guys can carry legally. You can just leave it lay on the back seat. :cool:

Tri-Strike.jpg

Oldfart, that is a big huge negatory - do you see the capacity on that thing? No friggin' way California would let that thing within its boundaries. Can't you imagine the carnage - that weapon could easily cause multiple red spots on the skin. And do you see the caliber of the nerf grenade on top? Jesus, you might as well tell the guy to throw a set of lawn darts! The horror!

(PS I've lived in California multiple times, for much of my adult life. Beautiful place, but waaaay over-regulated.)