How to safely carrying a gun in a gen 2 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....... I carry a 870 tac14 in the truck, as well as a Ruger Alaskan in a chest rig, 454 casull, which do you think would make a bigger mess? Ruger has a 2.5” barrel, so it’s easy to swing and the chest rig makes it super accessible when seated in a vehicle.

jesus man who’s carrying an F’n shotgun in their truck??!? Make a ******** mess w/ that & damage truck too lol!!

1911 w/ hollow points
.40 cal
I could see a shotty for home defense (but again- still make huge mess w/ it) but in vehicle?!? Someone can just grab the barrel & snatch it outta your hands beat ya senseless w/ it and/or use it on ya

there’s not enough room in the can to hide & then grab/wield it properly - am I missing something here?

I have a dig P938 extreme I carry as a CCW & occasionally in vehicle- but that’s a 9mm & the concern even w/ that is piercing through multiple walls or going in & out an attacker possibly injuring someone nearby- if you lived in condo/apt building I think would be a concern as would using a long rifle 5.56 AR15 (although I do think it’s a very solid home defense weapon)

big caliber bullets don’t need to be so accurate if you get a chunk of someone’s shoulder w/ a .45 close enough many people would be losing an entire arm, they mushroom & create a big exit wound but don’t tend to pierce straight through like some high velocity ammo such as .223 556 9mm etc no?

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....... I carry a 870 tac14 in the truck, as well as a Ruger Alaskan in a chest rig, 454 casull, which do you think would make a bigger mess? Ruger has a 2.5” barrel, so it’s easy to swing and the chest rig makes it super accessible when seated in a vehicle.

The Alaskan is a bad MF. That will make a hole

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to get and carry a dual chamber 12 gauge shotgun.
I have a gen 2 KSG with a nice red dot on it. Accurate with slugs, then with a flick of the wrist, can switch to reduced recoil #4 buck or whatever your poison. First gen KSGs weren't very reliable, but this one has been rock solid. Great camp/bear gun too.

Problem with shotties that aren't mag fed is they take more time to load/unload if that is part of your transport restrictions.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and if you're fishing it will make a fine anchor. Three pounds is too much. It's hard to imagine it being fun to shoot with a 2.5" barrel. Ouch.

It’s not bad with a chest rig, it does make quite the muzzle flash, got a buddy with a s&w 500 in .50 with a 2.5” barrel, it is a handful, but if my life depended on it, I guess I win.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
I have a gen 2 KSG with a nice red dot on it. Accurate with slugs, then with a flick of the wrist, can switch to reduced recoil #4 buck or whatever your poison.

Only problem is forgetting which load is chambered, since it only changes type after you rack it. I've heard the argument for less-lethal on one side, slugs on the other - but thats super risky if you forget what is in the chamber last.

I have one too, love it, but so far its a safe queen since I dont feel comfortable keeping a gun full time in the truck. It is pretty amazing to have the option of 24 rounds in one gun with aguila minishells thou.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only problem is forgetting which load is chambered, since it only changes type after you rack it. I've heard the argument for less-lethal on one side, slugs on the other - but thats super risky if you forget what is in the chamber last.

I have one too, love it, but so far its a safe queen since I dont feel comfortable keeping a gun full time in the truck. It is pretty amazing to have the option of 24 rounds in one gun with aguila minishells thou.

I don't know about the KSG, but a good rule of thumb for shotguns in general is not to transport them chambered. Many, if not most, aren't as safe to drop or thump on things as a modern pistol and a lot of folks have been hurt by accidental discharges.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out here in the lovely state of MA or Taxachusetts - You can't "legally" store your firearm anywhere locked or not if it is loaded and unattended. This goes for your vehicle and your home. You would need your firearm locked in one location and your ammo locked in a separate location. Which is why I carry concealed and the firearm is never unattended. Cali may be different but given the 2 states are on the stricter side of gun laws, I would guess it might be the same policy. Those console vaults do look sweet though.

Something about permanently leaving a loaded weapon in an unattended vehicle doesn't sit well with me though. If the truck got stolen or broken into you would be in some serious shit and would likely jeopardize any legal future gun ownership.
In CAL blue counties its almost impossible to get a CCW. In AZ they recognize the constitution and a permit is not required

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out here in the lovely state of MA or Taxachusetts - You can't "legally" store your firearm anywhere locked or not if it is loaded and unattended. This goes for your vehicle and your home. You would need your firearm locked in one location and your ammo locked in a separate location. Which is why I carry concealed and the firearm is never unattended. Cali may be different but given the 2 states are on the stricter side of gun laws, I would guess it might be the same policy. Those console vaults do look sweet though.

Something about permanently leaving a loaded weapon in an unattended vehicle doesn't sit well with me though. If the truck got stolen or broken into you would be in some serious shit and would likely jeopardize any legal future gun ownership.

i live in MA & my understanding is a little different than that- truck being an extension of your home- I think can leave gun perpetually in your vehicle so long as it’s locked & secured- but I do believe you’re correct about needing to separate the ammo from the weapon if being left unattended

in the odd circumstance I am carrying my weapon but cannot bring w/ me where I am & needs to be left in vehicle I would bring the ammo w/ me on my person or store in my hotel room safe- I also bring a sentry safe w/ a cable lock w/ me as a separate secure storage space for ammo.

I do this on the reg traveling through multiple states- even those I am not permitted to carry or they have reciprocity w/ MA....people may be alarmed by this, isn’t that illegal!?! Well no....technically speaking you can travel interstate originating from a place you are permitted in & stop along the way so long as you can your intention is to have a final stop @ a destination that you are permitted in or has reciprocity.

think about it this way- take a flight out to Montana for a hunting trip outta MA & for some reason has layover in NY- your totally fine to do that right? Same basic idea

I’m sure there are way more loopholes & legal grey areas that may come up....but way I see it, I’ll sort that out after I keep myself from getting robbed/mugged/***** etc