How to safely carrying a gun in a gen 2 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not want to face an AR/ AK with a pistol the only equalizer I can think of is the 12 Gauge double 00 buckshot or slug shot that would equal things up a little bit. I have a Model 12, 16 gauge WW2 trench gun and as have been stated shotguns are equalizers. All things being equal in the heat of the moment you miss with a pistol you are dead, you have a greater margin of error with the shotgun as far as accuracy goes.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not want to face an AR/ AK with a pistol the only equalizer I can think of is the 12 Gauge double 00 buckshot or slug shot that would equal things up a little bit. I have a Model 12, 16 gauge WW2 trench gun and as have been stated shotguns are equalizers. All things being equal in the heat of the moment you miss with a pistol you are dead, you have a greater margin of error with the shotgun as far as accuracy goes.

jesus man who’s carrying an F’n shotgun in their truck??!? Make a ******** mess w/ that & damage truck too lol!!

1911 w/ hollow points
.40 cal
I could see a shotty for home defense (but again- still make huge mess w/ it) but in vehicle?!? Someone can just grab the barrel & snatch it outta your hands beat ya senseless w/ it and/or use it on ya

there’s not enough room in the can to hide & then grab/wield it properly - am I missing something here?

I have a dig P938 extreme I carry as a CCW & occasionally in vehicle- but that’s a 9mm & the concern even w/ that is piercing through multiple walls or going in & out an attacker possibly injuring someone nearby- if you lived in condo/apt building I think would be a concern as would using a long rifle 5.56 AR15 (although I do think it’s a very solid home defense weapon)

big caliber bullets don’t need to be so accurate if you get a chunk of someone’s shoulder w/ a .45 close enough many people would be losing an entire arm, they mushroom & create a big exit wound but don’t tend to pierce straight through like some high velocity ammo such as .223 556 9mm etc no?

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what circumstance you would expect to encounter where you would need a shotgun in your truck, especially under the rear seat and locked. Your access time would be so great you would already be compromised by the tone you got to it. If you feel the need for personal protection you would be far better off with a concealed carry pistol permit with the gun at ready access and the knowledge and training on how and when best to use it

This. I think it's wise to have more firepower than just a pistol in the truck, but in 99% of situations requiring a defensive firearm you're going to need to have it ready from the driver's seat. A carry pistol is where you start if you want to be protected while driving. A staged long run or AR pistol or extra firepower is good to have in case, say, you find yourself with a disabled vehicle and will need to go on foot.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do indeed have a CC (over 30yrs) and do carry. Having been shot at once or twice, access and readying a weapon (and retaining bladder and ***** movements) is critical. A pistol wins that one, but if there's time, the street howitzer is nice to have.
The shotgun would always augment my pistol and would apply only if time allowed. That's why Law Enforcement has one in nearly every vehicle. The other reason is support. If I break down in a bad neighborhood and have to go for help or need cover while I change a tire, Espoza Loco handles a .12 gauge ok and doesn't have to aim that well!

For the guys carrying ARs the same reasoning applies.
For me it's just another layer of coverage...

Last edited:

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was laughing at this until I remembered I was moving there :alone:

I didn't read this entire thread but - here ya go - check for yourself by looking at the link attached below. KALIFORNIA
CCW if available in your new location is the easiest way. Just put another holster for easy access by the steering column or where ever while sitting. Lock box if you have to leave it in the car to access federal facilities.
No CCW - Lock box for hand gun - case for rifle - lock box for 40+ state legal rifle + pistols but called registered assault weapons in Kalifornia, chambers empty, magazine out of gun. Ammo can be in a magazine stored with the rifle, hand gun - what ever but not attached, connected, installed so forth. 10 round limit for non grandfathered magazines.
Even following these guidelines if an officer (I am 100% pro police) finds you to be a nuisance he can confiscate your legally owned grandfathered magazines and rifles. It will cost you several thousand $$$$$$ to contest is. This is Kalifornia - Vote - Because it could be the entire country before long.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Last edited:

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not fully up on CA silly laws as I am moving / ed out. But I recall all guns must be UNLOADED and locked away. Not in the glove box or console. Magazines can be loaded if not inserted into the gun. Since the shotty is the slowest to load it would be my last choice. Given my new AZ freedoms an AR pistol is the best choice IMHO

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out here in the lovely state of MA or Taxachusetts - You can't "legally" store your firearm anywhere locked or not if it is loaded and unattended. This goes for your vehicle and your home. You would need your firearm locked in one location and your ammo locked in a separate location. Which is why I carry concealed and the firearm is never unattended. Cali may be different but given the 2 states are on the stricter side of gun laws, I would guess it might be the same policy. Those console vaults do look sweet though.

Something about permanently leaving a loaded weapon in an unattended vehicle doesn't sit well with me though. If the truck got stolen or broken into you would be in some serious shit and would likely jeopardize any legal future gun ownership.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember an instance were some PD were shot up with an AR and it made quick work of them with an AK47, the bullets went through and through the patrol car, went through the engine block, and all they had was their standard issued 40 cal Glock 22s. It sucked to be them, would not wanted to face that with a Glock lol

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out here in the lovely state of MA or Taxachusetts - You can't "legally" store your firearm anywhere locked or not if it is loaded and unattended. This goes for your vehicle and your home. You would need your firearm locked in one location and your ammo locked in a separate location. Which is why I carry concealed and the firearm is never unattended. Cali may be different but given the 2 states are on the stricter side of gun laws, I would guess it might be the same policy. Those console vaults do look sweet though.

Something about permanently leaving a loaded weapon in an unattended vehicle doesn't sit well with me though. If the truck got stolen or broken into you would be in some serious shit and would likely jeopardize any legal future gun ownership.

Yet, criminals can buy guns on the streets all day everyday. I too have a CCW but with the messed up laws and messed up cities now. I do not plan to drive to any out of state cities. We fly everywhere we travel to.

Last edited: