Advice on how to get a Raptor R in the future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triggerfish

Reaction score
Seriously people. Relax.

I‘d like to point out that mere months after TRX was selling for $50k over sticker, they are now going for MSRP.
True, but the production numbers on TRX's is through the roof!! I have a local Ford dealer telling me they are getting one Raptor R this year. ONE. My Dodge dealers around me are getting 3+ TRX's a month (they are all sold before they come in though). But steady numbers on $90K trucks will level things off eventually. Sure $100K isn't much to some, but in bigger numbers (RE: TRX numbers for R builds) I think you'll see prices leveling off. The "R" will be $100K for most because of markups IMO.

Part of me believes that Ford will do what they did in 2010 and 2011- they weren't fully ready for the V8 in the Raptor in 2021, so they brought the 3.5 forward "for now" and the V8 (aka the "R") will replace it and be the only option by 2023. Just like how the G1 had 5.4L and eventually it was phased out and only the 6.2L was available.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just can't see strong sales for $80K Raptors when TRX's can be had for about the same $$- with better interiors, better motor, and a lot to offer.

Just my $0.02.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, but the production numbers on TRX's is through the roof!! I have a local Ford dealer telling me they are getting one Raptor R this year. ONE. My Dodge dealers around me are getting 3+ TRX's a month (they are all sold before they come in though). But steady numbers on $90K trucks will level things off eventually. Sure $100K isn't much to some, but in bigger numbers (RE: TRX numbers for R builds) I think you'll see prices leveling off. The "R" will be $100K for most because of markups IMO.

Part of me believes that Ford will do what they did in 2010 and 2011- they weren't fully ready for the V8 in the Raptor in 2021, so they brought the 3.5 forward "for now" and the V8 (aka the "R") will replace it and be the only option by 2023. Just like how the G1 had 5.4L and eventually it was phased out and only the 6.2L was available.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just can't see strong sales for $80K Raptors when TRX's can be had for about the same $$- with better interiors, better motor, and a lot to offer.

Just my $0.02.
I see your logic and raise you the price of gas. I really don't agree they are going to phase out the V6 completely with a V8. Societal trends point to people being more conscious now than ever, and in the future about MPG's and gas prices. There will always be a few heavy hitters for enthusiast willing to pay and have the money for a TRX or Raptor R. But I really just can't see them eliminating the EcoBoost when you look at their current line up for this year alone (Mach-E, Lightning, F150 Hybrid). The R will be low supply "toy"

OP
OP
Russ103

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but the production numbers on TRX's is through the roof!! I have a local Ford dealer telling me they are getting one Raptor R this year. ONE. My Dodge dealers around me are getting 3+ TRX's a month (they are all sold before they come in though).
This is why dealers have zero credibility.

SevenQueues

Reaction score
I bought a Gen1 Raptor back in 2013 and loved it but was disappointed with the power. So I stroked the 6.2 to 6.6, ported the heads, added a Whipple supercharger, upgraded the exhaust and air intake and a few other bits and turned it into a truck with more than adequate power. But putting the power down was problematic. 2WD just resulted in crazy wheel spin, and the only other option was 4Hi which is obviously not appropriate on the tarmac.

When the Gen2 came out, I loved everything about it except for the fartcan sounding V6.The new AWD mode was especially intriguing because it could possibly solve the power delivery issue of the Gen1. I kept waiting patiently for a V8 option to come out, thinking, that SURELY Ford will listen to us and give us a V8 option?

I held out until 2019 then finally relented and bought a Gen2. It had a lot of fantastic upgrades, and while I hated the engine, loved everything else. It still annoys me when I put my foot down and hear that annoying exhaust sound more similar to a civic with a fartcan exhaust than what I expect. Also, not enough power. We have been hearing rumors for years that a V8 option will be coming out so I've been waiting patiently for that.

Now, finally, Ford looks like they are going to do what they should have done a long time ago and give us a V8 option in the Raptor R. But there are all kinds of warning signs... There are rumors of limited numbers being produced. And, even worse, rumors of massive ADM's by the dealers. I have a serious problem with a dirtbag middleman do-nothing dealer making a huge profit off this truck. If I have to pay $120k for this truck, and it goes to the people who actually built it, that is acceptable to me, but to have some parasite inserted in the middle taking a bigger share is just totally too much for me. I won't do it.

if we all were to stick together and refuse to pay ADM's, this nonsense wouldn't happen. Again, it is not so much about the money more so the principle. Remember what the dealers did to the new Ford Thunderbird redesign? They helped **** it with their high markups and greed.

Sorry to rant, just frustrated that finally we might be getting the Raptor as it should be delivered and it is going to be messed up by the dealer leaches.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously
Find a dealer ( key principle,owner)
Start a relationship discussing your interest and wants(R) and leave a 50,000 $$ deposit or more and
You will know when the dealer knows status.
money talks bs walks.
This works
Couple grand down means nothing to your dealer, 50 grand plus you got his attention big time. You be # 1 on list.
don’t talk just do r’s gonna be hard to come by, look how hard it is to get today’s raptors

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously
Start a relationship discussing your interest and wants(R) and leave a 50,000 $$ deposit or more and
money talks bs walks.
This works
Couple grand down means nothing to your dealer, 50 grand plus you got his attention big time. You be # 1 on list.
don’t talk just do r’s gonna be hard to come by, look how hard it is to get today’s raptors
How do you know if said dealer will even get an allocation? I’m not gonna leave 50 large to the unknown. Does every dealer get a Ford GT allocation(s)?

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously
money talks bs walks.
This works
That might work to get it but that doesn’t mean get one even close to MSRP. Also as I point out in my post above they would still sell to a customer that buys fleet vehicles