How many more yrs do we have of the Ford Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will see lots of them up here, they can’t keep a Mach-e on the showroom floor, we do pay a lot more for fuel up North here so, you will notice the electric vehicles. There are also very popular on the highways for non-commuters that are making trips averaging 3-4 hours max, possibly stopping at a rest stop for a quick charge while they take in the scenery and drop a load. I have no idea how long it takes these fast charges to put a partial charge into these vehicles but they are being used regularly. I think if more people down south we’re paying what we are for fuel, there might be a bigger push for EV’s, idk, it comes down to a cultural way of thinking as well. I’m personally not there yet but I know if I needed another vehicle and an EV was within my price range it would make a good vehicle for going to Starbucks, dog park or down to the beach, but road trips, no way!
One issue with the fuel cost argument is that it assumes that electricity cost won’t increase. Especially if demand increases (more and more people buying EV’s)

Not saying you are making that argument, just piggy backing.

One thing I have always wondered is why no one seems to be looking into diesel-electric hybrids similar to train/locomotives? Seems like that would check a few boxes for various folks.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will see lots of them up here, they can’t keep a Mach-e on the showroom floor, we do pay a lot more for fuel up North here so, you will notice the electric vehicles. There are also very popular on the highways for non-commuters that are making trips averaging 3-4 hours max, possibly stopping at a rest stop for a quick charge while they take in the scenery and drop a load. I have no idea how long it takes these fast charges to put a partial charge into these vehicles but they are being used regularly. I think if more people down south we’re paying what we are for fuel, there might be a bigger push for EV’s, idk, it comes down to a cultural way of thinking as well. I’m personally not there yet but I know if I needed another vehicle and an EV was within my price range it would make a good vehicle for going to Starbucks, dog park or down to the beach, but road trips, no way!

Oh, you can't find a mach-e in a showroom floor here either, but then again, you can't find much of anything on a dealer lot these days. EVs are selling and not at discounts, and they probably will for quite some time. I just don't think people here getting them to cut the budget or save the planet....not right now anyway.

And if I ever make it up to Canada, it will not be to get a look at all the EVs.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And if I ever make it up to Canada, it will not be to get a look at all the EVs.
If you ever get to the west coast and you're into scenery, it is very beautiful, just remember, most Americans that come to BC, don't call it British Columbia, it's B ring C ash. Even with the exchange rate, its expensive here, lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One issue with the fuel cost argument is that it assumes that electricity cost won’t increase. Especially if demand increases (more and more people buying EV’s)

Not saying you are making that argument, just piggy backing.

One thing I have always wondered is why no one seems to be looking into diesel-electric hybrids similar to train/locomotives? Seems like that would check a few boxes for various folks.
Oh, I hear ya on that, loud and clear. The governement and the monopolists need their sources of income, if the "taxpayers" aren't buying fuel, they WILL pay more for electricity, unless they invest in solar energy and have enough batteries in reserve to handle the load on a household. That is catching on up here in the sunny Okanagan, a lot of new "weathier" homes are being built with solar panels. That coud be another arguement, idk, what it takes to build panels, etc, lol.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I hear ya on that, loud and clear. The governement and the monopolists need their sources of income, if the "taxpayers" aren't buying fuel, they WILL pay more for electricity, unless they invest in solar energy and have enough batteries in reserve to handle the load on a household. That is catching on up here in the sunny Okanagan, a lot of new "weathier" homes are being built with solar panels. That coud be another arguement, idk, what it takes to build panels, etc, lol.
They’ll have to start cutting out the tax incentives for solar then, or somehow start charging a tax on solar.

See what I did with charging there?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I thought California was looking at some sort of mileage tax to make up for the lack of fuel tax revenue. Or maybe it was just higher registration fees. I'm doubtful we will see additional electricity tax anytime soon, especially on the favored renewable sources.

Only way I see myself getting solar panels is when they actually look like a roof, don't cost that much more than a normal roof, and I happen to be in need of a new roof.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought California was looking at some sort of mileage tax to make up for the lack of fuel tax revenue. Or maybe it was just higher registration fees. I'm doubtful we will see additional electricity tax anytime soon, especially on the favored renewable sources.

Only way I see myself getting solar panels is when they actually look like a roof, don't cost that much more than a normal roof, and I happen to be in need of a new roof.
I'm not up on the latest in Cali atm, but you used to be able to get paid from the utilities for feeding back into the grid with your solar panels when you didn't store all the energy in your batteries. I did some research last year on the electrical grid of Cali for another thread on here, but can't remember exactly, but I think the rebates, etc, were ending. Not surprised.

bruizer

Reaction score
I couldn’t possibly disagree with you more or feel more opposite from you, but I respect your opinion just as I do anyone else’s.

Can you please explain why you are so excited for an EV Raptor? I’m not asking to be condescending at all, just want to understand an opposing viewpoint.
Hello! Sure, happy to. Other than environmental reasons, is the cost to operate it long-term. The price of gas/oil is only going to continue rise as we move into the future. Everyone is (understandably) freaking out right now about gas prices, but politics aside, the general trend will be rising gas prices greater than inflation indefinitely into the future, although hopefully not at the rate we've experienced in the last year or so. This means that the relative cost of operating our ICE vehicles will continue to increase compared to all the other of life's costs as well as our incomes. Each year it will become incrementally more expensive, year after year after year. Given that oil is a finite resource and it's detrimental effects on the environment there's not really any reason to honestly expect anything different, in the long view.

I also want to reduce my carbon footprint so that there is an inhabitable world for our children and grandchildren to inherit so, in my view, it's generally a good thing that the market puts upward pressure on ICE vehicles & fuel while downward pressure is put on EV and electricity supplies. The faster this can happen, the better all of the people of the world will be, so I'm very much okay with it.

I'd like to do my small part to contribute to a cleaner future and faster technological advancement in EV technology, so by buying an EV truck I would be doing a little bit to contribute to the overall growth of EV vehicles and the advancement of the technology. The more EV drivers there are, the more support/recharge places there will be so it creates a virtuous cycle where more customers cause more charging stations to open, and with more charging stations even more people will buy the vehicles, and so on.

I spend a good portion of 9 months of the year at our wilderness place in far northern Minnesota so a truck is an absolute must-have for me. I put on almost 500 miles/week driving there and back (usually weekly for about 9 months of the year) so fuel cost and environmental impact for me is rather significant.

Last fall, I was ready to buy a new truck and really would have preferred to go for the F150 lightning if it has been on the market and available, but it wasn't out yet and even if it were, we all know the troubles in the auto industry re chips and vehicle deliveries, so it just wasn't in the cards. However I needed a new truck then so I picked up a sweet Gen 2 Raptor with less than 20k miles and my goal is for it to be my truck for 3-5 years until such time as (hopefully) the F150 lightning is readily available, preferably as a Raptor.

Anyway, we all need to do what's right for each of us and I readily admit that what is good for me might not be a good fit for you, so no judgements at all towards anyone who feels differently. Hopefully we can disagree respectfully and recognize each of us is in a different place with different needs, and that's okay. But, for me, and for my needs and situation, an EV Raptor would be just phenomenal and something for which I am very excited about. And then there's the torque that comes with an EV motor. If you've never driven an EV, try one out sometime just for fun. It literally feels like you have your own private roller coaster as the takeoff is just stunning (and exhilarating).