how do you launch this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Believe baja modebis 4 wheel drive which you don't want on the street. Traction control pulls timing when it senses wheel spin.

So as stated already, use sport, 4a and switch to 2wd around 20 mph, brake boost up to around 2k rpm. That's a good starting point. But honestly, this is not what the Raptor was designed for.
I don’t know about being built to launch. Ford obviously wanted to be quicker than the TRX. Take the video below for what it’s worth. The R is quicker for sure, especially when launched correctly.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that, on the drag strip I think it would of been beneficial to keep it on 2H since it had so much adhesive on it.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I don’t know about being built to launch. Ford obviously wanted to be quicker than the TRX. Take the video below for what it’s worth. The R is quicker for sure, especially when launched correctly.

I guess I am wrong on why the Raptor has Fox shocks. They are for launching. Got it.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I guess I am wrong on why the Raptor has Fox shocks. They are for launching. Got it.
That’s not what I said. What I said was that Ford obviously wanted to be quicker than the TRX. I fully understand what the Raptor was built for. However if Ford launches the R for north of $110,000 and it’s slower than the TRX, it’s not going to go over well. 90% of these trucks are going to be pavement princesses, so they better be better on pavement as well as off pavement.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
That’s not what I said. What I said was that Ford obviously wanted to be quicker than the TRX. I fully understand what the Raptor was built for. However if Ford launches the R for north of $110,000 and it’s slower than the TRX, it’s not going to go over well. 90% of these trucks are going to be pavement princesses, so they better be better on pavement as well as off pavement.

Again, I don't agree. Ford posted LOWER horsepower numbers than the automotive manufacturer formally known as Dodge. Raptor was built/designed for OFFROAD use. Now that doesn't mean owners will use them as designed. Did Ford pit a S/C V8 in a Raptor to compete with a TRX? Probably.

But that doesn't mean it is ment to go fast on road. If Ford wanted to go fast on road it would have made a newer version of the Lightning and not the abomination with the Lightning name plate.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Again, I don't agree. Ford posted LOWER horsepower numbers than the automotive manufacturer formally known as Dodge. Raptor was built/designed for OFFROAD use. Now that doesn't mean owners will use them as designed. Did Ford pit a S/C V8 in a Raptor to compete with a TRX? Probably.

But that doesn't mean it is ment to go fast on road. If Ford wanted to go fast on road it would have made a newer version of the Lightning and not the abomination with the Lightning name plate.
If Ram doesn’t make the TRX then Ford doesn’t make the R. There is no reason to. The TRX forced Ford’s hand and they had to produce the R. The 702hp vs 700hp only matters in on line arguments about who has the bigger *****. The Raptor R is also 600ish pounds lighter, has 4.10 gears versus the TRX’s 3.55 gears, and it has a 10spd automatic. All of this adds up to being quicker. Trust me, Ford new if they produced a 650hp truck then the TRX would have been quicker still. Instead they went 700hp and made a better R to compete with the TRX.

I’ve said this in more threads than I can count. The Raptor (35 package/37 package/Raptor R) is probably the better vehicle over the TRX if you do high speed off roading. It’s lighter, and the Fox shocks are probably the better option. I live in Western Montana, and it’s mostly old forrest service roads and such that I travel. If I was somewhere that I could do wide open driving and push a truck off road, I’d still have the 2020 Raptor.

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe baja modebis 4 wheel drive which you don't want on the street. Traction control pulls timing when it senses wheel spin.

So as stated already, use sport, 4a and switch to 2wd around 20 mph, brake boost up to around 2k rpm. That's a good starting point. But honestly, this is not what the Raptor was designed for.
i just want to feel it's raw power. last night i walked by it in the garage and felt tempted to lick it. it's a piece of art.

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized TRX can launched at max ~2000 rpm which Raptor (R) can do as well. Given R is at least 300lbs lighter and 2hp lower than TRX, why were quarter mile results so close (12.5 / 12.7)? Also TRX full time AWD should also reduce performance in the later phase. Is the Ford 10-speed so bad compare with ZF 8-speed? Just did some Google and TRX was dynoed as 538rwhp/570lbft while R is 580/533. Still confused that more hp and less weight still cannot gap TRX.