How do you get all the cooant out when changing anitfreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you get all the coolant out when changing anitfreeze

I changed out my antifreeze the other day but according to the manual the capacity of the system is 16 quarts. I was only able to get about 8 quarts out and that included starting the engine for a few minutes to see if the water pump would push more into the radiator to drain out. I waited for about 45 min. after opening the radiator drain plug until there was nothing else dripping out. When refilling the system I was also only able to pour in about 2 gal. of 50/50 coolant. :wtf2:

Last edited by a moderator:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of coolant still sits in the engine and the heater box. I usually remove the rad cap and the coolant overflow lid and drain the rad in that order. I don't recommend running the engine without proper coolant in there though, the water pump uses coolant to lubricate the bearings.

OP
OP
JimT

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CoronaRaptor that is pretty much the same thing i did. Removed all I could out of the radiator and siphoned out what was in the overflow tank. after topping the radiator and overflow tank to proper levels, I drove about 5 miles and then let the engine cool and rechecked the level in the overflow tank. I just had to add a little to get to the proper mark.

locouno

Reaction score
haven't looked yet so I cant say exactly but most ford blocks have a block drain via pipe plug on either side just above oil pan should get all or most of the coolant out. Usually install drains in mine after my first coolant change

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get all the coconut out when changing anitfreeze?

This is what I read every time I see this title and I start thinking WTF?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it is a pain but first drain all you can then fill with water--repeat a couple of times after driving for 5 minutes or so with the engine at operating temp them add flush. Drain and fill a couple more times then use distilled water to fill and drain till soap bubbles quit coming out of the line when draining, then I fill with Cat coolant that is premixed.

Like I said it is a pain but have been doing it this way for many years.

OP
OP
JimT

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you get all the coconut out when changing anitfreeze?

This is what I read every time I see this title and I start thinking WTF?

Yea I noticed I left the "L" out of coolant.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Typo has been fixed.. lol

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Well it is a pain but first drain all you can then fill with water--repeat a couple of times after driving for 5 minutes or so with the engine at operating temp them add flush. Drain and fill a couple more times then use distilled water to fill and drain till soap bubbles quit coming out of the line when draining, then I fill with Cat coolant that is premixed.

Like I said it is a pain but have been doing it this way for many years.

Thanks Boss, yes it does take more work but worth it in the end I am sure.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe taking the vehicle to one of those fast oil change places, I think they suck all the fluid out. But I cant confirm but I do know that's how they do it for trans oil changes.