Hot Rod cam question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you guys had any problems with Mustangs with Hot Rod cams installed having really bad cam surge to where the rocks back and forth when at idle in gear on the brake. How did you fix this? Higher stall speed torque converter.

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really like the Hot Rod cams for the power they make and the drivability. Unless you install a very mild set of cams, you're always going to get the rocking at idle. A higher stall speed converter will make it so it doesn't push through the brakes with your foot on the brake in gear.

Thank you,

Rick

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had Crower Stage 2 high lift cams in my L and it didn't rock in gear on the brake with the stock torque converter. Do you know of anyone that makes a stall converter for the truck 6R80?

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't. I will get with our shop supervisor Andy to get his thoughts and see if he knows of anyone.

Thank you,

Rick

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Tank-

I have heard some good stuff about Circle D in the G8 community. Their website shows they offer a 6R80 converter for the Mustang:
Circle D Specialties - 6R80

Not sure what the differences are (if any) between the two, but you could give them a call.

Andy@Livernois

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The hot rod cams are engineered to idle much more aggressively than their size would suggest, so that is definitely a big portion on the rocking. As far as the pushing, the new 6-speed does have a much tighter converter than the older 4-speed autos had, so pushing at idle is much more apparent. We don't really recommend going with a full stall converter for the raptor as most of the aftermarket units will be set up for a light weight mustang, not a heavy truck, so they will stall far too high. I would modify the stock one to get another 3-400 rpm out of it personally.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tank-

I have heard some good stuff about Circle D in the G8 community. Their website shows they offer a 6R80 converter for the Mustang:
Circle D Specialties - 6R80

Not sure what the differences are (if any) between the two, but you could give them a call.
Circle D is huge in the L world also
The hot rod cams are engineered to idle much more aggressively than their size would suggest, so that is definitely a big portion on the rocking. As far as the pushing, the new 6-speed does have a much tighter converter than the older 4-speed autos had, so pushing at idle is much more apparent. We don't really recommend going with a full stall converter for the raptor as most of the aftermarket units will be set up for a light weight mustang, not a heavy truck, so they will stall far too high. I would modify the stock one to get another 3-400 rpm out of it personally.
How do you modify a stock one? Is this a simple task or is it something your shop could do? Does the 6.2L have a higher stall speed then the 5.4L

Andy@Livernois

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not certain on the differences in the stock converter on each truck, however, no, you do need it professionally done. We can get this done for you as we have a company that we work closely with for this type of work.