New 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddan

Reaction score
Purchased this a year and a half ago with 6,300 miles on it. It was basically brand new without a scratch on it except for a crack in the windshield. I’ve doubled that milage in a year had a lot of fun with it, and haven’t noticed any problems or issues outside of the occasional weird shift around 4th gear before it warms up. It runs perfectly, doesn’t have a cam phaser rattle or any other out the ordinary noises, and I love the truck.

Now the bad news.

The manufacture date is November 2019.

After buying it the first thing I did was check on the cam phaser update. The dealer verified that it wasn’t installed yet and they could do it. All I had to do was wait 4 months for an appointment. Four months later I dropped it off, went to work, and got a phone call a few hours later saying that my aftermarket Kenwood head unit was interfering with the update and they couldn’t complete it. I said okaaay… I’ll put the factory head unit back in and you can try again. They said sure. No problem. See you in four months. Four months later I come back, factory head unit reinstalled, and the service advisor tells me sorry, can’t do the update because it expired last month. I argued a bit, even offered to pay for it just to get it done, they conferred with each other, and finally agreed to go ahead and do the update.
A few hours later the phone rings and I’m talking to the tech doing the update. He tells me there is no update available for this vehicle. I ask, does that mean the cam phaser update was installed after all? His reply: “maybe.”
I go get my truck and ask the service advisor how I know the update has been installed. His answer: “it’s hard to tell.”

Yes this actually happened.

So… how do I check for myself to see if this has been done or not?

When I cold start I hold the brake and gas peddle down for a few seconds until the oil pressure comes up. I don’t know if it really helps or not, but I do it as a precaution.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 24

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Pull an Oasis report and find a different dealer.
This is the way. Surely a software update would be listed on the Oasis. Not sure why the service advisor was giving you the runaround over the phone.

You might also try sending a message to these two members on here if there are no other Ford dealerships around you. They are both Ford Techs. @sc85fiero and @FordTechOne

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Can’t they just plug you in and check the revision level worst case, if it was never documented by whatever dealer may have done it? I would have to think it would be. I’ll go out on a limb and say this. If your truck has the potentially defective phasers in it, I don’t think that software update will ultimately keep you from failure. Chances are you may never have a problem with them, or you very well will. If your truck is still low mileage, it may take a long time for them to fail. If they do at all.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Feel free to DM me your VIN and Ill run the OASIS report and let you know if the update has ever been done under warranty.

There are a lot of different factors here, one concern is them telling you the radio was affecting the software update. Sure aftermarket components can cause weird communication issues but I have never experienced THAT particular concern. I would also probably be getting a hold of the Service Manager just to voice your concerns with everything you have listed here.

-Joe

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#OneLessprius

Oasis will reveal if it ever was updated previously, but as to the confirmation of the latest action, good question.

OP
OP
D

ddan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the input. I have limited options because they are the only dealer within 320 miles. Even calling is difficult because they rarely answer the phone.

So I’ve been kicking the cam phaser update issue down the road…

Right now I’m just glad there aren’t any issues yet and can just enjoy the truck.

Dan