Hit a deer doing 60mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sQuid

Reaction score
Finally took things apart. All kinds of busted plastic on and behind the grill. Brackets for the shutters broken off, most of the shutters popped out. Bottom trim piece snapped off.

Those 8mm bolts on each side of the grill are a bitch to get too, had to snap off headlight plastic basically all the way. Little tricky to get those plastics snapped back on with aftermarket bumper. And one side the plastic bracket was all busted so the bolt wasn't holding anything.

Front camera broken off and electronics exposed, so will order new. Need misc brackets and pieces, and new grill .

I found where cruise control/collision detector plugged had broken off, got that working again temporarily.

There's a lot going on behind that grill. Yikes

20180917_144259.jpg 20180917_144011.jpg

20180917_141959.jpg

20180917_144206.jpg

20180917_133146.jpg

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dayuuum...I still think you did a LOT better than the rest of us would without that ADD bumper.

Also illustrates why I want a "stinger" or "pre-runner" style bar above the bumper.

Typically I want headlight protection as well but so far the offerings I've seen for Raptors were...meh.

OP
OP
S

sQuid

Reaction score
Dayuuum...I still think you did a LOT better than the rest of us would without that ADD bumper.

Also illustrates why I want a "stinger" or "pre-runner" style bar above the bumper.

Typically I want headlight protection as well but so far the offerings I've seen for Raptors were...meh.

Yeah, it's just all the BS components and will need new grill cause it's all cracked. But I'm glad it didn't harm the lights, other plastics or body work, for sure! hit the thing dead on/blindsided rather than on a corner or rolling up on hood or down the side like i've seen.

That bumper is incredible. and the way it shielded the LEDs is amazing too.

I wouldn't mind some grill protection but I usually don't like the look and it seems like would mess with the front camera.

It's funny when I bought the truck I made fun of the 360 camera system and front camera and now I really miss it. It's awesome for tight parking, tight garages, etc.

I'm glad the cruise control is working again now that I've hooked that back up. i have a long 2,000 mile drive to get back south to Las Vegas (from Montana).

BigCSS78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just turn it into insurance, your deductible should be less than what it’s going to cost you to fix it. Also a deer shouldn’t effect your rates.

OP
OP
S

sQuid

Reaction score
Why not just turn it into insurance, your deductible should be less than what it’s going to cost you to fix it. Also a deer shouldn’t effect your rates.

Not really. $1,000 deductible and looking at the camera and new grill, probably won't even worry about the shutters, we're at like $5-600. Easy enough to swap out myself. Or see if Ford dealer wants to do it, but usually they pass this stuff off to a body shop which charges stupid labor fees.

I'm sure insurance will find a way to mess with the rates, plus other insurance companies don't like to see you've filed claims before. Not worth it.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, add me to the list. Hit one on Wa Hwy 153 between Methow and Twisp coming around a corner about 8:30 at night. Managed to drop from 60+ down to about 40. Killed a li'l 1-2 year old doe. Took it into the local dealer bodyshop this week, about $1100 on the estimate. Only real damage is the drivers side fender flare popped out and won't pop back all the way. I hope it's just the tabs are broken, and it bent the edge of the bumper away from the body (the part w/the big cut-out you can see the a-arms from). No grille, light or obvious body damage