Doing a 2,400 mile road trip in 3 weeks..... family wants to take raptor instead of big German Sedan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have a new Audi A6, with almost 400 hp, and 32mpg on the highway. Wife and 2 kids (22, and 16) want to take the Raptor.

I want to take the Audi, as the guy doing 90% of the driving STL to Orlando, it is so much better. Add to that, $400 cheaper in fuel costs.

But they want the extra room in the back, and the off road suspension just floats along at 90mph.

who would have thought a 5 year old pick up is preferred over a new $70k autobahn cruiser

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do! I wish I could have taken my Raptor to Arkansas a few days ago. It would have been so much more comfortable than the Ford Explorer I rode in.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will also say from my short trip, I noticed a lot of road gaters. I’m sure hitting one in the Audi would be more expensive of a repair than hitting one in the Raptor. Not that I would advise hitting one at all. I know gas is higher than it should be and a trip that long would be costly on fuel. Have you compared the cost of flying to Orlando versus the cost of driving the Raptor?

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will also say from my short trip, I noticed a lot of road gaters. I’m sure hitting one in the Audi would be more expensive of a repair than hitting one in the Raptor. Not that I would advise hitting one at all. I know gas is higher than it should be and a trip that long would be costly on fuel. Have you compared the cost of flying to Orlando versus the cost of driving the Raptor?
yeah...we fly all the time....this time my daughter is going "back to school" in Richmond Kentucky.

So we are taking her back to school on a Friday, dropping her stuff off, and her car, then doing a last minute family vacation for a week. So we needed the car / truck.

$1600 for a family of 4 to fly + $300 rental car = $1900

driving the raptor = 2,400 miles / 16 mpg = 150 gallons x $3.80 = $570

so $1,330 savings to drive vs fly

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a new Audi A6, with almost 400 hp, and 32mpg on the highway. Wife and 2 kids (22, and 16) want to take the Raptor.

I want to take the Audi, as the guy doing 90% of the driving STL to Orlando, it is so much better. Add to that, $400 cheaper in fuel costs.

But they want the extra room in the back, and the off road suspension just floats along at 90mph.

who would have thought a 5 year old pick up is preferred over a new $70k autobahn cruiser
90 mph! I’m the worlds worst criminal , I wouldn’t get 2 miles before getting a reckless ticket