Thoughts and Ramblings after a 2500 mile road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm right near Pink's - La Brea / Melrose area. Urban jungle. Yeah I've thought about electric coolers but the yeti is just so good. I don't mind the ice / water - their is a drain plug that relieves the water and ice will stay for days if you don't open it too frequently. Ice is easy to come by in hotels too so really no biggie. If I were overlanding, that would be a different story I guess.
Gotcha. Im in Redondo and back and forth to Texas.
I couldn't take having stuff get wet so I broke down and bought the Dometic. No regrets. I swap it in and out of the truck and jeep and when I don't have it in either one of those, I have it plugged in out in the garage with some beverages in it.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm, these are excellent road trip vehicles. I've taken mine on quite a few between St. Louis and San Diego. Matter of fact, going back to St. Louis tomorrow morning.

My truck is Goosetuned 91ACN with a 170 degree thermostat, but I did revert back to Cobb stage 0 (basically stock) for the drive and kept the Goose TCM tune installed since I can't guarantee I will always have good fuel options along the way.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as someone stated, truck has to be in manual mode for paddles to do anydamnthin. The only way to “remove” gears from the display so it doesn’t go into them is with the little rocker on the shift lever.

We are embarking on our 3rd road trip this coming Sunday. NY to Idaho, stopping at Mt Rushmore along the way.

In 2017 and 2019 we went from NY to Moab, about 6k miles.

Love your pics and excellent writeup. Hope it was either Patrone or Don Julio.

My 2018, 19 and now 20 Raptor all had pretty damn close to perfect transmissions, always picking the right gear, never lugging. No mods on any of mine.

I too had a Yeti until my daughter adopted it. I now have an RTIC which is same quality but cheaper. I just find coolers a PIA. If I buy cold cuts, even if the ice stays, I want to toss the food a day later. I really thing a compressor fridge is the way to go.

When we leave this Sunday, I’m still uncertain which of my vehicles to take. Original plan was to pull 16’ enclosed trailer with my Can-Am X3 RC but it’s a hassle and will run in excess of $2500 in gas.

So will either take naked truck or my 2021 Cayenne GTS.

Which would you’all take?

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as someone stated, truck has to be in manual mode for paddles to do anydamnthin. The only way to “remove” gears from the display so it doesn’t go into them is with the little rocker on the shift lever.
No this is incorrect. Truck does NOT have to be in manual mode for this to happen. I never switched to manual mode on the highway, ever. When I hit the minus paddle the tuck would downshift (from 10th) and then the gear display in the tach window would show 1-9 instead of 1-10. The truck would NEVER go back into 10th unless I then hit the plus paddle at which time the gear display in the tach would then show 1-10 again. Try it out sometime.

Now maybe this is a function of my Cobb TCU tune and the truck won't do this stock?

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No this is incorrect. Truck does NOT have to be in manual mode for this to happen. I never switched to manual mode on the highway, ever. When I hit the minus paddle the tuck would downshift (from 10th) and then the gear display in the tach window would show 1-9 instead of 1-10. The truck would NEVER go back into 10th unless I then hit the plus paddle at which time the gear display in the tach would then show 1-10 again. Try it out sometime.

Now maybe this is a function of my Cobb TCU tune and the truck won't do this stock?

That should be how it works stock as well.

I saw someone mention they changed the '21 paddle shifters to actually downshift a gear instead of lock out gears. Would be nice if Cobb could make that an option on the Gen2 as well

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score

All I know for a fact is that my 3 stock Raptors, 17, 19, 20 model years, worked, or actually didn‘t work just as I said. The paddles do not function unless shifter placed in manual mode. I always thought it sucked as my Porsches‘ paddles work at all times; however if not place in manual first, after 15-30 seconds auto takes back over.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did Florida to NW Indiana solo (1,150 miles each way). I could make around 750 miles in each direction, stopping only once. I take a 25qt Igloo BMX cooler, fill with ice in the morning when I leave, pack with 4 prepared meals (2x lunch, 2x dinner, snacks, water), and it still has plenty of ice when I get to my destination...30 hrs later. Only stop for gas and pee break. I get over 650 miles of range per tank. 2nd time I've done this trip and it's a super comfortable truck, just eats up the miles. Drove another 1k miles while up there, so I put about 3k on it total.

IMG_7730.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE