Hit a deer doing 60mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like the truck and bumper held up incredibly well all things considered. Makes me feel good as we have the exact same bumper on our shop truck.

As for pulling out the grille, it's not as bad as it seems. The are a bunch of button tabs across the rubber top of the grille assembly. Pop those out and remove and you can take the thick rubber flap off. This will allow you see the top two harness connections and access the hose for the washer fluid for the front camera. Unplug those and disconnect the hose.

Then, pull the painted plastic pieces off around each headlight. They pull off by hand. However, you may not be able to remove them all the way as the bumper may get in the way. I'd recommend putting tape or some other padding between the bumper and these painted pieces and just bending them out of the way as needed so you can access the two side bolts. It may or may not be possible depending on how tight your bumper fits.

Once you figure out the plastic headlight trim situation, you'll need to remove the two bolts on either side.

Lastly, you'll have 4 bolts that remove along the top.

At this point, the grille is free. But you'll need to reach inside the grille to unplug (or in your case plug back in) the harness for the ACC adapter since it's been relocated behind your grille.

Hope this helps!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you may feel lucky but I beieve you are very lucky and that bumper is a BEAST. best thing is to keep that deer infront of you and NOT go up and over the hood and into windshield. I have lots of deer where. I live and worry about just such an incident. Bummer for the grill stuff damage. I have actually been eyeing the bumper that Hennesey uses on their trucks cause it has that extra lip over the bumper.

The Hennessy Bumper is just a re-branded FabFours Vengeance with the optional pre-runner bar. We'd be happy to put together a bumper and lighting setup for you.

product_variant_VENG_RAPTOR17_PRGRD.png

Additionally, if you'd like to explore other more protective bumpers, the ADD HoneyBadger would be a great choice (and my personal recommendation):

2017-ford-raptor-bumper.jpg

OP
OP
S

sQuid

Reaction score
Looks like the truck and bumper held up incredibly well all things considered. Makes me feel good as we have the exact same bumper on our shop truck.

As for pulling out the grille, it's not as bad as it seems. The are a bunch of button tabs across the rubber top of the grille assembly. Pop those out and remove and you can take the thick rubber flap off. This will allow you see the top two harness connections and access the hose for the washer fluid for the front camera. Unplug those and disconnect the hose.

Then, pull the painted plastic pieces off around each headlight. They pull off by hand. However, you may not be able to remove them all the way as the bumper may get in the way. I'd recommend putting tape or some other padding between the bumper and these painted pieces and just bending them out of the way as needed so you can access the two side bolts. It may or may not be possible depending on how tight your bumper fits.

Once you figure out the plastic headlight trim situation, you'll need to remove the two bolts on either side.

Lastly, you'll have 4 bolts that remove along the top.

At this point, the grille is free. But you'll need to reach inside the grille to unplug (or in your case plug back in) the harness for the ACC adapter since it's been relocated behind your grille.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very helpful! It's hard to know what's missing or not without having a good idea of the before/after setup back there, so I've just been looking for loose ends and plugs that look disconnected. But definitely camera is broke off/unhooked which may not simply hook back up, have to see. If not, I'll order another camera and bracket as the bracket holding camera in is all busted too.

Yeah hopefully not too bad to get apart... although with damage and all the shutters just laying in the bottom of the grill now, it could be messy back there.

I'm just glad lights and body parts, hood, etc aren't busted and it's mostly just the grill and plastic parts.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. No good in a car. There's a lot of motorcycles around here too and I just can't imagine if this deer darted out in front of them vs me. I had no time to react. He was doing full speed right onto the road from behind all the trees.
It is what they do. Mine ran across the road in the dark, heavy traffic, morning commute, following behind car in front of me, I'm at the rear of a pack of 6-7 cars and WHAM.

I saw him in peripheral vision for 1/10th of a second and it was over, did not even have time to lift much less brake. If he was 1 second sooner or later he'd be alive.

Nah, just get a purpose build dash cam. They aren't that expensive and you can get ones that have a camera for the rear as well. They have GPS for some added meta-data in the video files, they have accelerometers to automatically protect video files if they sense excessive G force (in cases of an accident) and some of the nicer ones will be in "standby" when the car is off to start recording if motion is detected

I have one of those, every feature you named including parking mode where it activates while keyed off and locked if it senses a shock. Cost about $500, pays for itself if it prevents you from paying a single deductible. Mine is 2-3 years old though, I think for that price you can get 4 cameras not just 2, my 2-camera thing has blind spots, but at least I can prove I stayed in my lane and was observing the speed limits :p

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Hennessy Bumper is just a re-branded FabFours Vengeance with the optional pre-runner bar. We'd be happy to put together a bumper and lighting setup for you.

Additionally, if you'd like to explore other more protective bumpers, the ADD HoneyBadger would be a great choice (and my personal recommendation):

That first photo is begging for the skid plate to be color matched to the bumper

OP
OP
S

sQuid

Reaction score
It is what they do. Mine ran across the road in the dark, heavy traffic, morning commute, following behind car in front of me, I'm at the rear of a pack of 6-7 cars and WHAM.

I saw him in peripheral vision for 1/10th of a second and it was over, did not even have time to lift much less brake. If he was 1 second sooner or later he'd be alive.

I have one of those, every feature you named including parking mode where it activates while keyed off and locked if it senses a shock. Cost about $500, pays for itself if it prevents you from paying a single deductible. Mine is 2-3 years old though, I think for that price you can get 4 cameras not just 2, my 2-camera thing has blind spots, but at least I can prove I stayed in my lane and was observing the speed limits :p

I have the 360 camera setup on the truck, wonder if that could be tapped into at all ??

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

product_variant_VENG_RAPTOR17_PRGRD.png

2017-ford-raptor-bumper.jpg

I like the first one, but if I’m going to upgrade, I would like either some sharpened spikes sticking out, or a horizontal blade to aid in cutting the deer into little pieces.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you very helpful! It's hard to know what's missing or not without having a good idea of the before/after setup back there, so I've just been looking for loose ends and plugs that look disconnected. But definitely camera is broke off/unhooked which may not simply hook back up, have to see. If not, I'll order another camera and bracket as the bracket holding camera in is all busted too.

Yeah hopefully not too bad to get apart... although with damage and all the shutters just laying in the bottom of the grill now, it could be messy back there.

I'm just glad lights and body parts, hood, etc aren't busted and it's mostly just the grill and plastic parts.

You may be surprised with the grille shutters. They bend and pop out easy so some may have popped out and aren't broken. Maybe.

For sourcing OEM parts, I find Tasca to be pretty fair on pricing. Hopefully they can help!

That first photo is begging for the skid plate to be color matched to the bumper

I'd hit it with rattle can Rustoleum Bed Liner for sure!

I like the first one, but if I’m going to upgrade, I would like either some sharpened spikes sticking out, or a horizontal blade to aid in cutting the deer into little pieces.

Anything is possible with a welder, hammer, duct tape, and imagination. :)

14PaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish i had my A.D.D. Venom r before i hit one. Still wouldve been damage but at least I would've been able to drive it home. I plead the 5th on my speedC6ACC2BE-1606-4834-9A08-78C91B079F2D.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
whoa. Of course you’re in PA. there are more road kills of deer in PA than there are killed by hunters, poachers and motorists in MD.

I was coming from NY south to the Poconos at night. I’ve never seen so many deer. I’m amazed you don’t have a collection of dings, dents, deer legs sticking out of the bumper and such.