GEN 2 Highest mileage Gen 2, Who has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough @dillard09

If/when mine goes, I am going to Ryan and getting an engine done. Just the minimums though...nothing too aggressive. If I go aggressive then I have to upgrade brakes/suspension etc etc. I don't think the stock stuff can handle over 650wheel. IMO....
I did suspension. Work when I did the motor to be able to keep up with the motor like Fox 3.0s, Bumps, UCA, and slot delete. I stayed with stock brakes and didn't have a problem. Just recently upgraded the brakes to the kit from @Rick@FMS and they are a significantly better than stock. Prob not an Alcon or any other BBK but def an upgrade.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right.

I did the powerstop upgrade and they are a great upgrade, especially for the price. In terms of suspension. I can't see myself doing that anytime soon.

I actually spoke about the R engine being placed in a Gen 2 like half a year ago on here. That is also an option but again, more power is more broken shit.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.

I did the powerstop upgrade and they are a great upgrade, especially for the price. In terms of suspension. I can't see myself doing that anytime soon.

I actually spoke about the R engine being placed in a Gen 2 like half a year ago on here. That is also an option but again, more power is more broken shit.
Now that would be an awesome swap for a Gen2. Im sure that comes with a pretty big price tag too. I thought about a supercharged 5.0 swap but didn't like the price tag on those either. I was able to get all the motor work, suspension, bumpers, and lights for the cost of just the 5.0 swap was at the time.

pavendort

Reaction score
I came out of my pocket. I went back with a RMB forged 3.5 long block, Ported heads, CRP stage 4 turbos, CRP manifolds, and XDI-EVO HPFP so it cost a nice pretty penny and one kidney. And then there was install. I'd have to look back for the real number but just guessing it was 17-18k plus install.
Yeah, my wife would stab me in the neck in my sleep if I spent that much. I am still under extended warranty, but having a few small issues. I am a "expect the best but plan for the worst" kind of guy for sure. I would love to do the RMB 4.2, but I would likely just have to buy a stock short block and have it put in.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife would stab me in the neck in my sleep if I spent that much. I am still under extended warranty, but having a few small issues. I am a "expect the best but plan for the worst" kind of guy for sure. I would love to do the RMB 4.2, but I would likely just have to buy a stock short block and have it put in.
Good thing this is my "work" truck and could write off most of it or my wife would have prob done the same.. haha.. I thought hard about just putting a stock block back in but also wanted to do the upgraded turbos and stuff. No way I was going to be doing it twice, so the forged one was the best option for me.

uppitycitizen

Reaction score
how have you avoided phasers until now? my guess is with that kind of commute you dont have that many on/off cycles that wear the phaser/pin?
Yeah this is the first time I've done the phasers, I've been lucky I guess, although I really wish I could have gotten to 200k without major service.

Did you have the wastegate rattle noise TSB completed? The TSB is 20-2016; it applies to 2017 models.
I don't think I've had this done. But here is a video of the sound from my truck.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that would be an awesome swap for a Gen2. Im sure that comes with a pretty big price tag too. I thought about a supercharged 5.0 swap but didn't like the price tag on those either. I was able to get all the motor work, suspension, bumpers, and lights for the cost of just the 5.0 swap was at the time.

To be fair, for the price, RWB is probably a good bet vs going full GT500 engine and having to tune that shit.

Plus, with the combo of the SPD downpipes and CORSA Xtreme exhaust, the Gen2 has a decent tone to it. And knock on wood, no cam phasers issue with my current engine.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right.

Why even bother? At that point put a 7.3 w/ a donkey **** cam to be different lol

I find it funny…the R is out, guys w/ the “lowly” 3.5HO ******* after the 5.2SC….meanwhile the 3.5 is in the ******** Ford GT & shares the same block & forged rotating assembly while the 5.2SC is in the GT500…..

Ford is playing everyone & making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on the R, ain’t SH*T different besides the engine, & it’s simply not a truck engine. Zero interest from this guy, & I love V8s, it prefer larger displacement single cam simpler design V8s….

uppitycitizen

Reaction score
That’s pretty bad, I’d have the TSB done for sure.
Here's another video of the turbo boost guage. I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to show a lack of pressure build up. There's definitely less power than there should be on the throttle. Noise is coming from the passenger side turbo. I checked every heatshield I could and they all seemed fastened correctly. The noise wasn't coming from the wastegates on either side.

Do you think the turbo could be failing? Any idea on what replacement cost is? If I need to do that plus the cam phasers all out of warranty...I may start looking at buying something else.