High Miles? Buy or Pass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone it’s my first post and I created this account to ask this question. I’ve been lurking around for about a year or so for a new truck. I had my heart set on a Tundra however at the dealership this morning I spotted a 2013 Black Ford Raptor. I’ve always loved the raptor just never had one. I took it for a drive and it drives great, they were asking $38,500 I got them down to $33K out the door tags title and taxes. Only thing is it has 101K miles on it and I’m hesitant on high mileage vehicles. I walked away from the deal and I’m researching now. Is this a good deal? How do 6.2 engines hold up over time? It was a one owner, has rigid fog lights, winch and a camper top on back. Thanks for everyone’s help, it’s appreciated

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems really high to me. Mileage isn’t bad but would think 27k to be good/reasonable. Maybe I am wrong, but when you could possibly get a new gen2 for 10k off msrp... If you are deadset in gen 1 I would still try to talk them down or look for another. We have some members I feel like have gen 1 with 120k miles selling for 23K with king shocks and other nice enhancements. I would probably go for that before the 33k. Especially in times like this. Motor is pretty strong and reliable though.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, it seemed high to me but I posted this question before I ran the car fax, I don’t know why I didn’t ask for one at the dealership but it has two owners, not one like I thought and it was in an accident to the driver front side with damage over $1K no airbag deployment. The accident wasn’t disclosed to me at the dealership but I guess it’s my responsibility to ask. So due to the new information I’m gonna hard pass and keep looking. Thanks

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing you found out before you bought it. Good luck to you and hope you find your Raptor soon.

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you, kind of. The tundra is antiquated at best even when compared to a Gen 1, and the Toyota ‘reliability’ reputation isn’t what it used to be in my opinion. I could go on and on about why it isn’t nearly as good, but I think you found out like I did if you’re looking at Raptors now!

All that said, I don’t think $33K OTD on a 2013 with that mileage is fair if it was a one owner with all good records and without the accident. Maybe a little high, but not crazy for an out the door price after what I’ve seen in my research and searching the country for one for the last month. But, I’m sure they’re going to get a little bit cheaper with everything going on. Just my opinion! Good luck finding one!

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for point of reference, I just bought a 2012 with 86K for $29,000 in PA. Only thing it doesn't have is the front camera.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many good deals with less mileage in the mid-high 20's. Good luck.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pass. for 33k there are damn near new trucks to buy. don't get hung up on the whole raptor mystique........it's a truck.