Potential Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016s550

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I am requesting your advice. I recently looked at a 2018 with 40k miles, 802A, CPO Blue located at a Ford dealer for $47k. Upon cold start I noticed a rattle, I requested the dealer investigate, they called me the next morning and confirmed the cam phasers are rattling but cannot repair due to no check engine light. I’m hesitant, would this be a deal breaker for you all?

Thanks for your time!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I am requesting your advice. I recently looked at a 2018 with 40k miles, 802A, CPO Blue located at a Ford dealer for $47k. Upon cold start I noticed a rattle, I requested the dealer investigate, they called me the next morning and confirmed the cam phasers are rattling but cannot repair due to no check engine light. I’m hesitant, would this be a deal breaker for you all?

Thanks for your time!
Sure they can. The cam phasers being defective won’t through a CEL until there’s actual engine damage.

Cam phasers are a known issue, there was a recall done that extended the warranty on them.
They’re not selling that truck without repairing the phasers, either now, or under the warranty after the purchase, so if you want the truck tell them they absolutely will be fixing the phasers, now or later, whether you buy the truck or someone else. You’ll buy it once the phasers are repaired, with the repair invoice, etc. provided and after a successful cold soak start proves the rattle is gone.

And I wouldn’t be paying 47k for it, but that’s me.
Good luck and Welcome to FRF

OP
OP

2016s550

Reaction score
Sure they can. The cam phasers being defective won’t through a CEL until there’s actual engine damage.

Cam phasers are a known issue, there was a recall done that extended the warranty on them.
They’re not selling that truck without repairing the phasers, either now, or under the warranty after the purchase, so if you want the truck tell them they absolutely will be fixing the phasers, now or later, whether you buy the truck or someone else. You’ll buy it once the phasers are repaired, with the repair invoice, etc. provided and after a successful cold soak start proves the rattle is gone.

And I wouldn’t be paying 47k for it, but that’s me.
Good luck and Welcome to FRF
Thanks, I’ve learned a lot from you guys over the past few months doing research on these trucks. I did explain this to them and they were still unwilling to correct the issue. They would rather have me walk away from the deal. I feel that they will end up selling it eventually to an unsuspecting person “let me grab the keys and I’ll pull it around for you” just like they tried with me. It’s unfortunate that they can advertise this vehicle as a Blue Certified vehicle but are unwilling to correct a known problem on this truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve learned a lot from you guys over the past few months doing research on these trucks. I did explain this to them and they were still unwilling to correct the issue. They would rather have me walk away from the deal. I feel that they will end up selling it eventually to an unsuspecting person “let me grab the keys and I’ll pull it around for you” just like they tried with me. It’s unfortunate that they can advertise this vehicle as a Blue Certified vehicle but are unwilling to correct a known problem on this truck.
They literally diagnosed the problem already, there’s a fix in place. The truck will be sold with a warranty, so they gain absolutely NOTHING by not fixing it before hand, UNLESS they know or suspect there is something else wrong with the truck. There’s practically zero chance that someone is not going to balk about this issue during the purchase warranty, even if it was only 14 days. Even so, you’ve already verified the concern so the service department would have already entered that into the system, so an OASIS report should already be current for the truck.