High mileage owners please check in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you've gone boost you won't think so highly of a "bigger" NA engine (a 6.6l is only 6.5% larger). You are going to spend the cost of a whipple to get the Livernois block, , then spend more money on cams, then again what the short block would cost you on head porting for a ~20% hp gain

Put the blower on, run 10psi and make 70% more power over stock, with no big drop in fuel efficiency and no change in low speed drivability. It's a huge win. Your maintenance will be less with a supercharged engine than it will be a stroker engine. Run good filtration and your dust concerns are invalidated.

The Whipples are transparent until you hit the bypass valve threshold, then they feed in. If you hammer it the power is there, its just like having an engine that is 70% larger. Think 10.6l of displacement, beats 6.6l all day every day. And only there when you ask for it.

The Whipple noise is never boring.

Blower power is intoxicating, it is always there, it turns a nice cruising vehicle into something that simply devours a journey.
So it’s been a few months since I chimed in on this thread. I Bought my 2013 SCREW new in 2013 and by April of this year had put 191K on it.

A broken valve spring and a dropped valve trashed the motor, so I had to make a decision: park it in the boneyard OR pump some cash into it and keep driving it. Really wasn’t a hard call. My Gen 1 is a member of the family and I plan on driving it for a long time.

After having a new Ford reman 6.2 installed in June, then installing the JDM 700HP Whipple kit last weekend, I can say that @B E N is 100% correct. It’s very drivable and almost unnoticeable around town and cruising down the highway. But, when called upon, it is a hard pulling beast and is definitely intoxicating!

Honestly, I was surprised and a little disappointed that it had such a major failure at 191k, but sometimes things just break no matter how well they’re maintained. The bright side is that it gave me a reason to upgrade the things I’ve always wanted to, and it should be good to go for another 150-200k.

flatwater17

Reaction score
So it’s been a few months since I chimed in on this thread. I Bought my 2013 SCREW new in 2013 and by April of this year had put 191K on it.

A broken valve spring and a dropped valve trashed the motor, so I had to make a decision: park it in the boneyard OR pump some cash into it and keep driving it. Really wasn’t a hard call. My Gen 1 is a member of the family and I plan on driving it for a long time.

After having a new Ford reman 6.2 installed in June, then installing the JDM 700HP Whipple kit last weekend, I can say that @B E N is 100% correct. It’s very drivable and almost unnoticeable around town and cruising down the highway. But, when called upon, it is a hard pulling beast and is definitely intoxicating!

Honestly, I was surprised and a little disappointed that it had such a major failure at 191k, but sometimes things just break no matter how well they’re maintained. The bright side is that it gave me a reason to upgrade the things I’ve always wanted to, and it should be good to go for another 150-200k.
Out of curiosity what did that run you for a reman 6.2l and the whipple kit?

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what did that run you for a reman 6.2l and the whipple kit?
Around $7500 for the Ford reman 6.2 + $500 for Melling billet oil pump. Old block had a hole in it, so didn’t get a core refund.

JDM Whipple kit was $10k with stage 2 HE, Ford Racing twin 65mm throttle body, and SCT Tuner w/ JDM tune. Kit also includes CAI, new injectors, new NGK plugs, and 3.25” pulley & shorter serpentine belt.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 - Original owner/abuser

-Trans started slipping around 184k.
-Dropped a valve and blew the motor at 192k (haha beat ya @Johnny Raptor )

View attachment 315978Installing refurbed engine and trans (5yr warranty) from Fraser now
Feel your pain. Had my transmission rebuilt since we were pulling the motor anyway.

That’s a good looking truck!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2014 - Original owner/abuser

-Trans started slipping around 184k.
-Dropped a valve and blew the motor at 192k (haha beat ya @Johnny Raptor )

View attachment 315978Installing refurbed engine and trans (5yr warranty) from: https://fraserengineco.com

Install by:

Engine Cost -$5k
Tranny - $2.5k
Labor - $2k
So I'm creeping up on 189k miles and wondering if valve spring replacement as preventative might be a good idea before 190k-ish. A few searches online yields same issues with Super Duty 6.2's. May or may not take out the block but dayum, I'm pretty fond of it heh. Question for you guys, is it the same cylinder that the spring lets go? #7 (driver's side rear?) or is it a random cylinder? Did you just go with OEM valve springs on the replacement engines?

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm creeping up on 189k miles and wondering if valve spring replacement as preventative might be a good idea before 190k-ish. A few searches online yields same issues with Super Duty 6.2's. May or may not take out the block but dayum, I'm pretty fond of it heh. Question for you guys, is it the same cylinder that the spring lets go? #7 (driver's side rear?) or is it a random cylinder? Did you just go with OEM valve springs on the replacement engines?
Spring failure was on #6 in my original motor.

Hard to say whether spring replacement is the right answer because there are plenty of high mileage 6.2's that haven't experienced the issue. Odds are in your favor that it won't be a problem. I just chalked my failure up to bad luck and kept the OEM springs in the new Ford Reman motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter