Help my Ford Dealer: Strange Rattle on Decel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
eco is a relatively loud engine, there’s a lot going on. Is it a problem or does it foreshadow a problem to come?

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch this.

Interesting, that’s distinctly different though. Thats a quick grinding noise with a hard start/stop. Mine is a true rattle (sounds like all the 10mm sockets you’ve ever lost in a tin can being shaken) that slowly dissipates.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eco is a relatively loud engine, there’s a lot going on. Is it a problem or does it foreshadow a problem to come?
Foreshadow in my mind since there’s no noticeable issues with power, boost, shifting, steering, AWD/4WD. Wild that it sounds so horrible without any noticeable performance impacts or codes.

Been at the dealer for 10 days now. IWE hubs and solenoids were replaced. Lead tech and his boss are at a a loss, they’ve engaged the mythical corporate techs for their wisdom and wizardry.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Finally traced rattle down to coming from inside the bell housing so they’re dropping the whole trans next week. Unfortunately I have one of those trucks that’s got some pretty bad rust (surface on frame/rear axle but exhaust is bad), soooo now we upgrade. Dealer will be installing new SPD SS downpipes + trombone mid as part of the repair so long as I provide them. It’s a 2019 with 40k so still under powertrain.

popcorn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Finally traced rattle down to coming from inside the bell housing so they’re dropping the whole trans next week. Unfortunately I have one of those trucks that’s got some pretty bad rust (surface on frame/rear axle but exhaust is bad), soooo now we upgrade. Dealer will be installing new SPD SS downpipes + trombone mid as part of the repair so long as I provide them. It’s a 2019 with 40k so still under powertrain.
Please post what they find. Iv'e been chasing a very similar rattle that I'd swear is coming from the transmission area.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post what they find. Iv'e been chasing a very similar rattle that I'd swear is coming from the transmission area.
Will post updates in about 2 weeks. They won’t be able to drop the transmission until around the 24th/25th .

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED
Turned out the torque converter was ballooning for an unknown reason. Swelling pushed everything out and was causing the flywheel to unevenly rattle on the spacer between it and the block. Here’s a pic of the spacer the tech just sent me.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 21

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
SOLVED
Turned out the torque converter was ballooning for an unknown reason. Swelling pushed everything out and was causing the flywheel to unevenly rattle on the spacer between it and the block. Here’s a pic of the spacer the tech just sent me.
Now that is an odd problem on a stock converter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter